Hairy as a bear!

Options
I am soooo very frustrated with all my hair!!! I know it is a symptom of our wonderful disorder, but how does everyone else treat it/cope? SO FRUSTRATED!

Replies

• Acliff510
    Acliff510 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    tweezers ....
  • Lindseyjobirkner
    Options
    I spend alot of time tweezing my chin and neck, I shave my lovel "sideburns" and moustache. I also shave my arms and belly everyday. It's not fun!! I wonder how many people have luck with Spironolactone for hair?
    Lindsey
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I shave, tweeze, and wax.. yeah, not fun at all. I have noticed that Groupon and Living Social often have Lazer Hair Removal treatment "deals". They had one not too long ago - 6 sessions for $100 and they said 3 - 6 sessions should take care of upper lip hair. I think the next time it comes around, I am going to try it. I can handle the other parts but I would at least like to get rid of my moustache and goatee.

Also, I tried Vaniqa... very expensive as it is not covered by most insurance and totally did not work. I followed directions to the letter for several months and didnt have any luck. Boo!
  • newking
    newking Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I take spironolactone for it. It is the only medicine I take for my PCOS and I love it. It hasn't completely eliminated the facial hair but it is not as fast growing. It did get rid of my back hair though. It takes 3-6 months to see results. I love it!
  • shaxianna
    shaxianna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    shaving and tweezing...i so hate having this disorder...
  • Firno
    Firno Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Shaving, tweezing and waxing are they typical for me. I am going to look into lazer this summer. I am done with this hair.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to not have very bad hair on my face, but my arms are another story! I use bleach for that and have an epilator for my legs, arm pitts, and body. It basically 36 tweezer heads spinning and pulling out hair. If you can get over the pain it is worth it! My goal is to slow down the growth over the next few yeas.
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    face (tweeze and wax)
    chest (tweeze)
    belly (shave)
    arms (wax)
    legs (shave)
    back and butt (*uck it )
  • lelah85
    lelah85 Posts: 7
    Options
    I hate the excessive and awkward hair on my face especially because it looks like I always have a five o'clock shadow. I have tried laser hair removal (8 sessions) with improvement for the following couple of months but it always grew back. I absolutely abhor the fact that I can grow a fuller beard, mustache, and side burns than my husband. The only thing that works for me is shaving everything.
  • lynnstar_lynnstar
    lynnstar_lynnstar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done electrolysis?
  • H18961
    H18961 Posts: 15
    Options
    I tweeze my upper lip and occasional chin hairs, and I shave my arms, lower belly, and side burns. I tried laser hair removal until the technician finally threw in the towel and told me that it just wasn't working. The issue that I'm struggling with now is that while I have this extra hair in other places, the hair on my head is coming out in clumps around my temples and hairline - my doctor says it's 'intermittent alopecia'. I am fortunate enough to have thick hair so I can cover the spots easily enough, but it's just so frustrating to be losing hair in the one place where I actually want to keep it!
  • uzit_13
    uzit_13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I started with my upper lip and 8 years later the hair hasn't come back. It does take a few sessions to see permanent results but it's SO worth it.
  • mrsslimkatie
    Options

I had one session but the technician said it would take 2 sessions a week for over a year and it was just to much money for us. I have a full beard that I shave everyday. The worst is that it has to be a timed shave becuase if I shave before its time I tear my face up. Its a constant juggling. I do find that an aftershave of half vinegar half water solution helps me stay smooth without razor burn.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am on a Aviane (birth control) it's higher in estrogen and has not stopped the growth, but it has stopped the spreading! I get random hairs here and there but my belly was the worse. Now that I'm on BC I just get it waxed once a month during the summer and shave during the winter. I use "slow Grow" which is a product that you can buy at SALLY's for after you get waxed.
    It's a really sucky part of PCOS as a young girl hitting puberty... growing funny hair and no periods... But now, I almost forget about it because it's a lot thinner now too.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I spend alot of time tweezing my chin and neck, I shave my lovel "sideburns" and moustache. I also shave my arms and belly everyday. It's not fun!! I wonder how many people have luck with Spironolactone for hair?
    Lindsey

Been taking Aldactone/Spironolatone for a year. Dr said it would take 6 months for the old hair to be gone.. The only difference I've see in hair growth is that is grows MUCH slower. Still dark and thick. Frustrating!

Surely someone would be able to find a cure for body hair!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Tried it on my chin but it was painful... and expensive.
  • crizania
    crizania Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Man I needed to read this today :)
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one I know dealing with this crappy deal !!

I hate not being comfortable without something around my neck to hide the issue and the hairy arms !!

I have all these irrational fears about what if I get sick and I can't keep up the maintenance lol it's stressful !

I'm a single Mum and I've pretty much hidden away from dating or meeting guys because of this !! it really sucks.

Some good ideas posted, might have to consider the medication thing again I need to do something more than using hair removing cream every second day ... summer is coming (southern hemisphere :) ) and bloody hell I'm determined to go out and get a bit of sunshine and hit the beach carefree this year !!

Well that's my dream at least! :)
  • uzit_13
    uzit_13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Tried it on my chin but it was painful... and expensive.

One way to get costs down is to go to a beauty school. The students need experience and it's supervised by a teacher. You can get services for dirt cheap!!! I'm not sure if I would let a student do electrolysis on me, but waxing is worth it.
  • coastiewife9
    Options
    wow it was sooo great to read all of this today. i would occasionally wonder if i was the only one worrying about this issue! my solutions are... i bleach and trim my facial hair (and go far enough up so that my sideburns aren't too bad), i tweeze the random black hairs on my arms, and for my chest and belly... i dont let my hubby see me naked. i also have clumps of hair falling out of my head. i have not found a way to treat/ disguise this issue yet, so any suggestions would be appreciated!
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    wow it was sooo great to read all of this today. i would occasionally wonder if i was the only one worrying about this issue! my solutions are... i bleach and trim my facial hair (and go far enough up so that my sideburns aren't too bad), i tweeze the random black hairs on my arms, and for my chest and belly... i dont let my hubby see me naked. i also have clumps of hair falling out of my head. i have not found a way to treat/ disguise this issue yet, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

I do not have this issue, but I've read that some women find taking B Complex helps with the hair loss.

Could be why I've never had an issue with it. I take one dropper of GNC Liquid B Complex every morning.