will someone please explain...

Options
AggieCass09
AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
the history/reasoning behind the tall socks that female crossfitters wear?

I just dont get it...

Replies

• Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think it tends to be to protect the skin on the legs from things like rope, the barbell, boxes, etc
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It does. I get nasty bruises from deadlifting & cleaning at heavy weights. The socks do offer some protection and I've noticed less bruises when I wear them!
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Plus if you go with performance compression socks like sigvaris (personal fave) or compression sleeves, they help on things like box jumps and double unders where people tend to get shin splints.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing knee high socks for years - it's just something I like, the weirder the better - I only started crossfitting 2 years ago - the only difference is now people get to see the knee high socks instead of me wearing them under my normal clothing.
    I did notice that at my box, I am seeing more and more people wear knee highs - I think it's great - so it's catching on in the community huh - nice
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    so I was doing sumo deadlift high pulls the other day, for fun you know, and i kept scuffing my shin to the point of bleeding! But just on the right side....so i get the need for socks now!

LOL!

what are yall's favorite brands? There are so many to choose from...and I have to consider matching all my Lululemon shorts now...LOL
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    so I was doing sumo deadlift high pulls the other day, for fun you know, and i kept scuffing my shin to the point of bleeding! But just on the right side....so i get the need for socks now!

LOL!

what are yall's favorite brands? There are so many to choose from...and I have to consider matching all my Lululemon shorts now...LOL

lol - I recommend anything that is funny or weird when it comes to knee highs - the more outlandish the better (as I wear my caped Batman and Robin knee highs)- but for people that aren't me - just in terms of comfort and not cutting off circulation at the knee - I like Sourpuss - they are a roller derby socks, but comfortable. If you go to the store - when you are looking at knee highs, you want to look for something that has good stretch at the band (some of us have huge calves) I also order from sock dreams - again, can't stress enough - you want the band at the knee to be comfortable - do not order "girls" unless you are stick thin with no meat on your legs - look for brands that are women size!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Plus if you go with performance compression socks like sigvaris (personal fave) or compression sleeves, they help on things like box jumps and double unders where people tend to get shin splints.

I wear the compression ones and for me personally, the impact on my shins during DU's and BJ's help a lot. Also protects my legs during rope climbs. I don't like wearing them for running, for a strange reason they make my thighs burn more.
  • rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was wondering too! Thanks for asking this. I played soccer my whole life so i've always worn tall socks. Good to know I can continue to do so!
  • jimdbrownau
    Options
    It's not actually for the protection aspect of the socks. The original reason behind the craze is compression socks and any other compression sleeves aid in muscle recover. Wearing during workouts aids in the blood flow and after increases the ability for your muscles to recover. They have caught on as a fashion statement since.
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The guys in my box wear them. Dont see any women in them. I may try, cos I hate shaving.