i need help with nutrition

Options
ledmison
ledmison Posts: 2 Member
I am currently training for a half marathon. I am using myfitnesspal.com for nutrition. Ihave been reading that you need more carbs. Trying to find a good balance between enough/not too many carbs. I currently have my setting at 1800 cal wth 65%carb 25%protein 10% fat. Does this seem accurate? I am currently at 21 miles a week. I am havinga hard tme hitting thecalorie goals and carb goals. help:)

Replies

• RunEloiseRun
    Options
    I honestly think that you have set yourself with too many carbs.
    When I trained for my first half last fall, I set my macros at 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat.
    I am now training for a full marathon. I am in the middle of week 7 (out of an 18-week training) and my mileage is about 25-30 miles a week now. I have find myself good with 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

It also ultimately depends on you.
    If you feel sluggish without that many carbs, then you may need them.
    But also, make sure you are getting good carbs. Fuel your runs properly.
    And good luck on your half and training!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I tend to go higher on protein as well.
  • ledmison
    ledmison Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for looking at my profile!!! I appreciate it!! I was thinking that I had high carb ratio. I have been on a low carb diet for so long (couple of years) it is hard to eat them now. I can never seem to hit my goals! I will try and lower the carbs and increase protein and see what happens:) I do seem to feel better now with acually consuming a few more carbs than I usually do. I think I would like to try and go the low glycemic index carbs as well. My other issue is knowing when to use a gel during a run. I dont use anything unless I am running more than about 6 miles at a time. But how often? I will try carb 55% poetin 30% fat 15% ??