Day 17 - Stop Wasting Food!

Fattack
Fattack Posts: 666 Member
When you fill your car with gas, you don't keep pumping after the tank is full, spilling the fuel on the ground.

Everytime you eat food that your body doesn't need, you are wasting it!

You can avoid having excess food by cooking an appropriate amount, splitting up portions (saving some for lunch), or even throwing it away - yes, throwing the excess away. Or, you can eat the excess food - but if you eat the excess food when you're full, you're wasting it just as much as if you were to trash it.

Personally, I don't agree with throwing away food if it can be saved. Ideally, I cook correct portions, because I'm addicted to my kitchen scales! I plan my meals very carefully, but at the same time, I'll finish clearing my plate because I've designated those calories to my day. I have the attitude that "if I've counted it, I'll bloomin' eat it!". I do think throwing food away is wasteful - why not just buy less? Or if you don't think you can finish it, don't eat it? We're not rich, and it's a silly concept to throw away food when you can find an alternative (that doesn't involve over-eating). However, it's a good thing to practise when you do overload your plate.

TODAY::

***In your journal, list the foods you let go of today - either by simply saving it for another meal, or, if needed, throwing it away. Make a note about how it felt to not eat the food (or to throw it away), then add a few thoughts on how you'll manage leftover food in the future.
***Write down a few ways you can prevent having excess food around in the first place.

Replies

• MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    I am perfectly fine eating the same thing a few days in a row, however that is not always a good idea as it could cause bordom. I freeze leftovers often, in fact I do "cook" days to make serveral servings, eat one and freeze the rest.
  • Bola17
    Bola17 Posts: 120 Member
    I plan and weigh my portions before I get to the table. This sure helps. One plate - one portion (except for salad - this in a bowl on the side). If I boil spaghetti I weigh it up dry as I´ll eat what I boil. Otherwise I put ½ in a tupperware container in the fridge for the next day.

If we have enough leftovers for the next day - I think of how much money we´ll save and this really helps. Sometimes there´s not enough so I save 2 days food and the 3rd day is leftover day :) But my 17 year old eats like he has a hole in his gut, so I rarely have lots of leftovers (and he´s so thin and still growing).
  • kimannabella
    kimannabella Posts: 31 Member
    Seeing as I am boring and will eat the same things everyday portioned out correctly, there would rarely be a time where I would have leftovers to begin with, if there are any though they go to the dog.