BF & weightloss

Options
Did you lose weight quicker BF? Any input on this would be helpful. my son is almost 6 weeks and ive gone down only 1 pound. i think this is because im gaining muscle from the exercises but i was diagnosed with an eating disorder in 2005, so no matter what weight i am i still see a fat person. this has been so frustrating - any advice is welcome!

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I had an eating disorder in high school. Pregnancy is so hard for me. I know I have to eat and be healthy for baby but I feel sick about the weight gain. Breast feeding is the same way. You need to eat enough to make the milk your baby needs but really hydration is more important. BF did help me to drop pounds quickly but everyone is different. Where you underweight when you got pregnant? If so your body may be holding on to those extra pounds because it doesn't want to go into starvation mode again. When you get discouraged about your weight and think about starving off the weight just look at that beautiful baby and remind yourself of how much he needs his momma. Be healthy!
  • tinyporcelain
    Options
    The hardest part has been eating as much as everyone wants me to - so I switched to lots of meals/snacks throughout the day so I don't always feel so FULL. I do think I'm one of those people who is holding onto some fat for the baby and that when I wean him off that bit will go away. I try to eat very healthy - i love fruits and veggies - it's eating enough of them thats the problem. Im so glad you mentioned you struggled with an eating disorder and i hope you;re doing well in your recovery. I know my son is the ONLY reason im sticking to eating this much food. Ive been asked to go back to inpatient, or at least intense outpatient, but I think ill wait until he's done with BF and I see what my body does. Thanks for the words :))
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    I think the 'grazing' style of eating is best anyways. Snacking (especially on healthy things) throughout the day is the way to go. Watch out for eating fruits after 3pm though. The carbs and sugars after 3pm can stick with you longer (since you are closer to bedtime and less likely to burn those off). There is a website called Babyfit that may be helpful to you. It has groups for just about everything over there (BFing mom, different religions, single moms, military moms, ect). if you go over there I am Tanyasteve on that site.
    http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/
  • labbott20
    labbott20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The longer I breastfeed the more I lose! With each baby (I have 3) I have lost all of my weight by about 9 months. Breastfeeding burns about 500 cal/day. If you eat less than 1500/day your supply will decrease. I am a lactation consultant. By the time your baby is 3-4 months old it is normal to lose 1-2 lbs/week with no dieting at all. Hang in there. I know that this is really hard for you but your beautiful baby getting the most superb nutrition is completely worth it! :smile:
  • tinyporcelain
    Options
    ya, for me it just seems like a really long time. It's the opposite of how I've lived for so long, so it's really hard. thanks for the encouraging words...im six weeks PP today. I thought I would be back in my pre pregnancy jeans by now :( gahhh then i just drive myself crazy with weight and measuring etc. im hanging in there as best i can. at least til aug 2 - next peditrician appt. because i do plan on going to work and can't realistically pump enough for anyone watching him while im gone. I have MAYBE two to three days worth now and I pump every hour. anyway, im starting to ramble but everyones advice really does help. When I hear the same thing over and over from family and doc it goes in one ear and out the other.
  • smartblonde529
    smartblonde529 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You do lose weight quicker and easier than people who do not nurse. After I had my son, I lost 50lbs in 5 months and all I was doing was eating healthy and working out at least 30-45 minutes a day. I didn't count calories while nursing him but followed weight watchers which allowed me to eat all the fruits and veggies I wanted. This time around the weight seems to be sticking although my daughter is 10 months and I'm still nursing and have lost all the baby weight. At this point i'm just trying to loose extra weight I've had. I know how hard it is to make yourself eat more, I suffered with eating issues for many years but I found I had no problem eating extra fruits and veggies since they are good for you. Just try and eat as healthy as possible with lean protein, low fat dairy, whole wheat, and lots of fruits and veggies. And of course lots and lots of water. Good luck, you can do it = )
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just had my 3rd child 12 weeks ago and I EBF. I was back in my size 2 jeans by 8 weeks without exercising. I eat 2000 calories/day and still have a few more lbs to lose to get down to 120. I noticed that I'm losing weight gradually so I'm not stressing about it. During this pregnancy I exercised daily (cardio and strength training), watched my caloric intake and gained a healthy 30lbs (diagnosed with excessive amniotic fluid though). With my first 2 pregnancies I gained 50lbs, was already 10-15lbs overweight and did not exercise daily. It took me 9 mos to lose the weight after those pregnancies and I did Atkins diet, which I don't recommend. So don't stress about the weight loss-it will happen when your body is ready. Just remember that your baby's health is most important so don't deprive yourself of calories!! I'm noticing that I need to get back into exercising just for my own sanity and well-being. Strange to say, but I miss working out LOL. Good luck!
  • tinyporcelain
    Options
    1st day, eating more to lose more & i just feel HUGE. i just want to give up :(
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I actually gained weight when I breastfed, esp in that first 6 months when I exclusively breastfed. I was ravenous all the time and ate all the wrong foods.

With my two girls I only dropped the weight once I weaned (both around the 9 month mark) and my appetite went back to normal. I am now 13 months PP and now below my pre preg weight.

Don't lose heart!!
  • 80lbslost
    Options
    Please try not to stress about your weight. Just remember that it took 9 months to gain baby weight and for some people it takes that long to lose all the weight. You'll reach your goal before you know it. :smile:
  • tinyporcelain
    Options
    thanks guys:smile: SOO glad i found this group!!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    Please try not to stress about your weight. Just remember that it took 9 months to gain baby weight and for some people it takes that long to lose all the weight. You'll reach your goal before you know it. :smile:

absolutely!!!
  • 80lbslost
    Options
    thanks guys:smile: SOO glad i found this group!!

We're here for support whenver you need us! :smile: