Has anyone met with a trainer at PF?

Options
If so, what was your experience? Did you like it? Would you do it again or recommend it to someone else?

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Hi I also go to Planet Fitness im in Chicago! I have not met a trainer, However I have observed the trainer at my Planet fitness and he seems to be ok.
    I can Train ya! :bigsmile:
  • nay33
    nay33 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have met with a trainer in my PF gym to help me go over my goals and he helped me come up with a plan for strength and cardio workouts. At first I was not sure about meeting with a trainer because in my PF gym there are only two trainers and they are both younger and very fit, but once I got over that I had a great experience. The trainer I meet with was really nice and helped me figure out my plan, I had never done strength training before and with the plan he helped me set up, I am loving it. I have been following the trainers plan for little over a month now.
  • bigben372
    Options
    My experience was: we sat down at a table with the yellow "hand" chairs and went over my goals. He then devised a plan, based on my commitment level (5 days @ 1 hour each), to isolate different muscle groups on alternate days with a day of rest in between, one full cardio day, and one non-cardio day. Seems like a good plan but, once I discovered the circuit a few days later, it quickly became my favorite workout!

Add me as a friend. I need the motivation! BigBen372.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I have yet to meet with a fitness trainer at PF but have toyed with the idea several times. I just wish I knew who they all were. It appears as the PF I go to has several. I'm a bias person and have already seen several of them sitting around bored at the little sign up table. In fact, I have been going there about 6 wks and have yet to see them training anyone? I know I shouldn't judge but not sure if I feel comfortable signing up with them. There is an arrogant looking black man with dreads, who looks like he uses a lot of steriods (I thought PF wasn't into bodybuilders) every time I pass him he is either on his cell phone or checking out the good looking ladies backsides...which makes me very uncomfortable. There is a skinny in shape older gentleman who fitness trains and is sometimes at the counter where you check in. He was working the tanning booths one day and I had only about a 5 minute wait so I signed in, recieved a token for massage chairs, he said he'd come get me when it was ready. About 5 min. after I was done, I went to the desk and he had totally forgotten I was there. Asked me if I was waiting, never appoligised as he apparently did not even relise we had a mini conversation not more then 10 minutes ago! I would not want to sign up with him as a trainer. There is a very young, musclely, guy that I would feel far to embarassed to even talk to, none the less be within 2 feet of. There is a very fit 6 ft tall blond woman, who I feel too intimidated to sign up with. The list goes on and on. That and not sure if I'm ready to commit to a ridged workout plan. I like the freedom of going in, looking around, and then doing whatever I feel like that day.
  • diana_marie8302
    diana_marie8302 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I met with the "trainer" at my PF right before this post. I thought he did an okay job and was willing to engage with me but that may have been to his detriment as I soon found out he was only 20 and had no training experience and only got the job because his best friend's girlfriend was the manager. The PF I work out at appears to have very little staff actually qualified to give exercise and weight loss tips and advice. He did all right but the plan he set up was very cookie cutter and it appears it was something many other people at the same PF have received. I did listen to what he had to say and have kept in mind the things he informed me of but I felt like I could have taught him some tips and workout advice. Not really the experience I had in mind but not terrible.
  • OhThatBlonde
    OhThatBlonde Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There’s only one trainer at my PF. She’s an older woman and I’m not sure what her credentials are. When I first joined six months ago, I was able to work out (mid-day) 4 or 5 days a week until I recently went back to work.

The trainer would often walk the floor asking folks to sign up for “classes” she had on a schedule. For example, if you were on the treadmill or elliptical she would walk up and ask “would you like to take an arms or legs or back “class”.” B/c I was working out midday it could have been that she was bored. I have to give her credit for taking the initiative to “find” folks to “educate” versus the trainers some of the folks have described that just sit around on the hands.

I took her up on a few of her offers… the were small groups, usually from between one-three women. They were okay but nothing great. No earth shaking revelations. I’ve never been asked if I wanted assistance designing a work out plan. Honestly I have to say I’d be a lot more happy if Dolvett (or Bob) walked into the gym and told me to turn up the tread to level 12!!
  • MKloste
    MKloste Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wish I could meet with a trainer at the PF that I go to, but when I checked into it at my PF they were "group training sessions" for each area of the body so if I wanted a session for arms and legs I would have to make 2 different appointments and the appointment times are only from 7am-4pm Monday through Friday and so since most people work 8am-5pm Monday-Friday I am not sure how this is very convienent, you would think they would atleast have some type of weekend or evening appointments, even if it's not every night of the week. It's was very frustrating, so I just watch what other people do and go from there.
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I met with a trainer a few weeks ago and learned a TON of helpful information. He focused mostly on healthy eating and very little on time spent in the gym. It was helpful to me, as I have no problem putting in the time. My problem lies in what I choose to eat.
    The two tools the trainer highly recommended for nutrition were this site and eatingwell.com. I have found a ton of healthy foods that have made it easier to stick to my diet.
    Hope this helps! :)
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My trainer was great...he made me feel very comfortable with all of the machines and made sure I had a good understanding of what I should be doing. I highly recommend meeting wiht a trainer.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My meeting with the trainer was very helpful. She showed me how to use all the equipment properly and watched me run through the 30 min circuit once, correcting me throughout.