Pain

Options
Hey guys :)

Just wondering if there's anyone out there who finds the combination of pain (from the RA) and the hunger (from mfp) just unbearable sometimes?

It's the evenings I struggle with. Too much pain makes me cranky, and chocolate would usually be my salvation :S Obviously not conducive to weight loss :P
So anyway, what i'm saying is I'm not giving up the snacks :P But does anyone have any ideas for comfort food that's not too bad on the diet??

Thanks!

Replies

• fuzzbugjr
    fuzzbugjr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you tried budgeting a couple of squares of dark chocolate into your calories? I have found I can have 1 square of dark chocolate when the craving hits and it is enough for me. For the hunger have you tried some berries or veggie sticks (jicama, turnip, carrots, broccoli, etc? Most times that helps me (unless it is medication induced hunger).
  • KarenK37
    KarenK37 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I absolutely can relate, when I am stressed or having pain from my RA I want my comfort chocolate too. I have been eating fudgesicles , special K Krave cereal (I eat these w/o milk and they are a sweet yummy snack), Kudos bars are 100cals and you can get them w/ M&Ms, Snickers, Dove drizzled (YUMMO) these are my go to snacks that are sweet! Hope this helps, I am having my usual pains so I just had 1C. of Krave and it hit the spot.
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    Thanks guys, yeah I've got some Bournville right here actually, but I just cant stick to one square! :S I'll definitely try the veg thing though, I guess its better to fill up on bulky veg before going for the chocolate :)

I'm not sure what fudgesicles are but they sound amazing :P Can you make them? Or are they shop bought only? Hmmm,

thanks for the help guys!
  • KarenK37
    KarenK37 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Fudgesicles you buy in any grocery store and they are about 40 calories. They are yummy I think they taste like chocolate pudding.
    I also like to eat popcorn because you can have alot so you feel full and there are so many toppings to buy at the store.
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    Ok cool, I havent seen them here in the UK.. but I did find a recipe for making them :D and I'm totally on it, thanks for the tip!
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate Jello pudding cups. Mmmmmmmmmm :)
  • melisha922
    melisha922 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is amazing at making you feel full and is a great snack. I also eat Blue Bell's popsicles if I want something sweet.
  • wvfarmgal
    wvfarmgal Posts: 7
    Options
    I completely agree. I have another issue that goes with this too. I was hospitalized a lot as a child (recurrent pneumonia), and I spent a lot of time alone there. So whenever I get ill now I feel so alone; it just seems to be an effect of illness for me. That makes me want comfort food too. Making myself a delicious meal or dessert is sometimes the only "nice" thing that happens in my day. And I am so cranky too. I am now on my third RA med. The first Plaquenil (sp) didn't work; the second methotrexate was fabulous but my liver couldn't take it; and now Enbrel which right now is not working (I'm on my fourth shot). It can take 3 months to work. Everytime I try to exercise (and I've learned to take baby steps) I end up in horrible pain or greatly lessened mobility or injured or all three! I'm just so discouraged... I really need some support. I hope this group will be active.
  • lratliff
    lratliff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wvfarmgal, I hope you wont get too discouraged over not being able to exercise when your disease is so active. My rheumy told me not to even try unless I was mostly free of pain because using inflammed joints really will cause more damage. And give yourself a break about being cranky, too. Lots of meds make it worse (prednisone for sure, ever heard of "roid rage" ?) and it's much harder to be in a good mood when you are in pain, tired, and stressed, so just do your best and find things that make you happy or relaxed. Personally, I have several playlists on grooveshark of songs that I love to sing along to, or that I find relaxing, or that are good pick-me-ups.

Keep on keepin' on! :o)
  • LovesAngels
    LovesAngels Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been fortunate to find a great protein bar that works great for my chocolate sweet treat! They are called Pure Protein Bars
    And they come in flavors. My favorite is the Peanut butter dipped in chocolate! 200 calories for a whole bar! But you can slice it in sections or use it as a meal replacement!

I found you can do dishes and dust surfaces of the house and get some minutes in of cleaning or walking! I also use a DVD made by the arthritis foundation, Aeobics for Arthritics? I also bought their DVD on Tai Chi and love both!

I love skinny cows ice cream bars and they are also a low calorie treat! I have trouble leaving them alone!

Sometimes when I crave food it's due to the lack of proper vegetables and fiber! Not preaching just something to think about
    When the prednisone hunger hits! I will often make a plate of sliced tomatoes, sliced bell peppers with my low calorie ranch
    Dip then eat a piece of fruit! If after all that and still hungry I have a bowl of cereal!