Belly dance challenge - shimmies

Options
missdaisy79
missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
Anyone up for a challenge? I am currently being taught a cheeky little Egyptian number at class, and one of the shimmies we are doing is an Egyptian shimmy that is very much driven by the knees rather than the hips.

Get into your dance posture - feet hip width apart, pelvis tucked to neutral, ribs lifted.
You start off slowly bending each knee in time and build up the speed so that the knees are going backward and forward ever so slightly. Your legs need to be fairly straight but NOT locked at the knee - that is the way to knee injury hell! As you speed up the shimmy, you'll feel it in your butt, your hips, your belly, and sometimes as far up your body as your face.

So if anyone fancies a challenge how about trying this - from a slow start to full speed (whatever full speed is for you) and maintain it for as long as you can - one minute at full speed, two minutes at full speed, three minutes etc....build up to a full five minutes of shimmy! Put on some middle eastern music and shimmy it. Try layering some graceful arms if you're really up for a challenge but the focus is the shimmy.

I'll be trying this tonight - I'll let you know how I get on.

Edited to add: Disclaimer, I am not a teacher, just a student myself, and if you feel any hurty pain you should stop! Don't push through the pain just to do some silly challenge, because pain is your body's way of saying something is wrong.

Replies

• shimmygirl411
    shimmygirl411 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm in. With a profile name like Shimmygirl, how could I not join in?! :happy:
  • missdaisy79
    Options
    Cool stuff. Try it every night for a week. Not only will your stamina improve and your shimmying improve, but it might wobble a bit of fat off too (that's what I'm hoping - certainly feels like my hips are trying to shake themselves off)!!

I'm about to have a go now whilst i'm watching the ferrets playing - hope they don't mind!
  • missdaisy79
    Options
    So, last night I did five minutes but it wasn't five minutes full on wobble. I had to slow it down back to basics occasionally to catch my breath and then speed the shimmy back up to fast. I tried for the last two minutes to layer some "delicate" arms over the top - it wasn't easy! But, I did it :laugh:
  • sheila_shine
    sheila_shine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I except your challenge. One week every night, five min. I will start tonight and let you know how it goes.
  • missdaisy79
    Options
    Excellent. Feel free to drop it back to slow shimmies and work up again any time you need to. I had to on a couple of occasions.

And above all - breathe! The amount of times I caught myself holding my breath was untrue!
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    I used to shimmy way more...this sounds like a good way to start up again :) When I was dancing cabaret we used to open every class with at least a full minute of shimmying. In ATS we don't do as many full time shimmies, but I still use a shimmy to help me get warmed up...nothing seems to work better!
  • pattyapoian
    Options
    I am in too!!! There is nothing better than a full blast shimmy session for fitness :) When do we check in?:happy:
  • missdaisy79
    Options
    It's an informal challenge really :bigsmile:
    How about everyone who is interested starts tonight, and does five minutes of the Egyptian bad @ss butt wobbling shimmy?

Five minutes, every night, for one week.

The bigger you make it, the more your butt wobbles. Make it big, make it small, slow it down, speed it up, get the shimmy going up your body as far as your face if you can!

Report in after each shimmy session - let me know how you're feeling, and I'll try to do the same!
  • shimmygirl411
    Options
    How is everyone doing with their daily shimmies? I will admit that I keep forgetting to do it. :grumble:

I have now added "Shimmy Challenge" to my calendar reminders.....and will begin tonight. :bigsmile:

Happy shimmying!
  • sheila_shine
    sheila_shine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have not done the shimmy challenge, had a lumbar strain over a week ago. In fact it happened the first day of the challenge. So, I have not had the chance to try it. I will start tonight, but slowly.
  • missdaisy79
    Options
    Take care with the shimmies if you've got a back strain.

I must confess, I haven't been doing them. I have simply been rubbish at remembering to do them. I'm going to start tonight and do it for a week! I've got a dance festival this weekend (Barefoot Goddess - looks fabulous) so I'm bound to get a chance to shimmy without people looking at me like I'm daft!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to stop your Egyptian shimmies from migrating to Lebanese (tik-tok, hip driven, whatever you call them) or other shimmies (twisting, 3/4) or not starting to layer other things on top of the Egyptians?
  • shimmygirl411
    Options
    I have no good suggestions on how to stop Egyptian shimmies from migrating into other shimmy variations (other than complete focus on the task at hand), but I will say that when I have noticed myself starting to migrate, I just get back to it and add more time onto my 'shimmy session' to make up for my digression.

And in fact, lately I have been purposely adding other shimmies and layering in to the mix to add other muscle groups, dimension and interest to my 'shimmy session'.....working up to 10 minutes with this routine.

:happy:
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I went to an amazing dance retreat in June. Among other more graceful things, I learned the "thunder shimmy" - not anything you'd ever include in a performance for more than a second or two, but it's sure fabulous exercise! Basically a straight-leg shimmy but very vigorous, shimmying all the way up to your eyeballs... I've taken to doing it for two minutes while I brush my teeth.
  • missdaisy79
    Options
    lentigogirl, this sounds a lot like the straight leg shimmy I was trying to describe for this challenge! It's excellent to just let it all shake about.