It all goes according to plan...

Options
ScubyUK
ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
... I should hit my goal weight on the 2nd June.

About me, I'm 6'4 (1.93m) and currently 291.2lbs / 20st 11.5lbs / 132.2Kgs

Between now and then, I have 7 Mini Milestones and 2 Major Mile Stones to achieve.

Mini 1 - 22nd July - Goodbye 290s hello 280s
Mini 2 - 26th Aug - Goodbye 280s hello 270s
Mini 3 - 30th Sept - Goodbye 270s hello 260s (Going to a tough one as I'm on vacation for the last 2 weeks of Sept)
Mini 4 - 4th Nov - Goodbye 260s hello 250s

Major 1 - 9th Dec - Under 250lbs - reassess Goal

Mini 5 - 13th Jan - Goodbye 240s hello 230s (going to be a tough one after the Christmas Holidays)
Mini 6 - 17th Feb - Goodbye 230s hello 220s

Major 2 - 24th Mar - Under 100Kgs - reassess Goal

Mini 7 - 28th Apr - Goodbye 210s hello 200s

Goat Weight - 02 June - Goodbye 200s

Does anyone else set themselves targets and goals like this? Any tips for staying on track during Vacations and the Holidays?

Replies

• takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If I made up a plan, which I will right now on a whim....

I'd hit 155 8/18..
    145.. 9/18.
    135 ... 10/18.
    125 ... 11/18.
    Then, stop right at Thanksgiving.
    Oh, dear, I love Thanksgiving... Well, olives, and devilled eggs, and mashed potatoes.. [which I can eat all year around...]

However, between now and my birthday, I would like to get off my lazy @$$, and do C25K and 30 Day Shred by 9-1.. Then, quit smoking.. Also, need to learn to lift heavy things.. Not like weights, like actual heavy things!
    I'm 5'5; 165cm.. 165ish lbs, About 12 Stone.. 58kg or so.. Am only converting in my head, as I'm lazy.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I don't really do this which is good for me because after the first 40 dropped off the rest of it has been more about varying fitness things than really losing very fast.

but re: staying good on holidays and what not, it depends on what is going on that day. I might try and manage by having a few lighter days during the week and having the extra cals on that holiday. Or I will add more exercise to my day to accomodate the extra celebration.

And I'll do some short fasts (Well I already fast in the morning but I might extend it a bit more) -- like last year for thanksgiving dinner, which my family eats around 4pm, I got up, jogged the mile to starbucks and grabbed a coffee, walked back, had a small yogurt to tide me over at lunch time, tried to stay on my feet most of the day (did some cleaning and stuff), and then kind of went to down at dinner time nad ended up eating pretty close to maintenance that day - added a walk after dinner.

Oh and generally I allow myself a certain amout of "oh well its a maintenance day then" which makes it easier to feel like I'm indulging but still not back slide.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I used to. That was before New Rules of Lifting for Women and water retention. I drop weight on rest weeks but otherwise, the scale bounces around too much for me. I DO have on my calendar what I'd like to be at the end of the month, where the rest weeks are, which is around a 2 lbs a month loss, but who knows if it'll happen. Right now I actually try to say "I'd like to run 3.2 miles twice this week" or "I'm going to do HIIT twice this week" type goals. Or even goals to increase my weight lifting. But goals are good and being focused on a goal seems better than just flitting around.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Man, here I was hoping we'd started our final plot to take over the world with gayness.

I probably shouldn't say that or the lavender mafia could have me elimina
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Man, here I was hoping we'd started our final plot to take over the world with gayness.

I thought they didn't come for you til you were 40.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

I thought they didn't come for you til you were 40.

which is why, when the time comes, I plan on staying 39 for at least 10 years, possibly 15.
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    LOL - I also thought the plan was different.

Re the plan: I used to have an Excel spreadsheet with a line graph and plot against that...then I could see where I was heading...the problem is that weight loss isn't really linear...but the nerd factor got me very excited...and preplanning is always helpful.

If you stick to a plan like that, don't readjust if you start overshooting...because you're aiming for a trend...and you won't feel bad when you don't hit every single weekly target. Also, try not going nuts on vacation...by then you'll be in a new routine and you'll be surprised how much you can do! By "giving yourself permission" to totally fall off the wagon, you get into that mentality of your weight loss being temporary punishment instead of life management. I just came back from a 5 day trip away still down a little. As you can tell, though, I'm not a Jillian.

Best of luck! I'm off to pickup my "500-queers recruited" toaster oven. Tuna melts tonight!
  • ScubyUK
    Options
    LOL - I also thought the plan was different.

Re the plan: I used to have an Excel spreadsheet with a line graph and plot against that...then I could see where I was heading...the problem is that weight loss isn't really linear...but the nerd factor got me very excited...and preplanning is always helpful.

If you stick to a plan like that, don't readjust if you start overshooting...because you're aiming for a trend...and you won't feel bad when you don't hit every single weekly target. Also, try not going nuts on vacation...by then you'll be in a new routine and you'll be surprised how much you can do! By "giving yourself permission" to totally fall off the wagon, you get into that mentality of your weight loss being temporary punishment instead of life management. I just came back from a 5 day trip away still down a little. As you can tell, though, I'm not a Jillian.

Best of luck! I'm off to pickup my "500-queers recruited" toaster oven. Tuna melts tonight!

LMAO - I have an Excel spreadsheet (well, it helps with the calculations!), I won't readjust the plan if I overshoot, but I am a big guy, so will reasses when I reach each major milestone, and see if aiming for 199lbs is actually going to be the right weight for me. Being 32" waist wouldn't look right on me, 36 would be good, 34 would be great. ;o)

It's not actually about the number on the scale for me, I'm just using it as a guideline. Clothes size for me plays a more important role.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't have intermediate goals. I did reassess my initial goal, which was 198 lbs, for no real reasons other than

1. It was a nice round loss: 50 lbs.
    2. It was under the magic 200.
    3. It would have represented losing 1/5 of the my fattest weight.
    4. It would have put me right in the middle of so-called "healthy" BMI.

But once I approached 220, I quietly upped my goal 10 lbs to 208, still a nice round 40 lb loss and more than 1/6 my highest weight. And well within the so-called "healthy" BMI.

If/when I get to 208, I don't know what I'll do. I've never tried to maintain!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    scuby.. had no idea you were so tall. wow. for me... your plan would never work.. I'm a slacker by nature.. I set my goal at 5 lb increments. cos I was sure I wasn't going anywhere. now I'm plateaued around 157-160 for months... thought of doing a restart,, but i'm pretty comfortable here so I'm just gonna cruise. I'm enjoying going to the gym, something I never thought I would... and love having so much energy.... my tanning instincts are back.. so all is good... even if Im a little squishy... i'll get back to it sometime.. but for now , eh. you know i respect your determination... i can't see that far ahead. get em tiger
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I keep a spreadsheet. You can see the latest version on my blog. What strikes me is how linear my weight loss has been. I keep looking for the plateau.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bhankiii
  • treetop57
    Options
    13285248_1954.jpg
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My plan and goal is to feel comfortable in my own skin. up until recently I was not comfortable even swimming without a shirt on. I have made some progress and have pushed myself. Here are the goals:

June - Run without a shirt on. (Done)

July - Lay out in my own back yard catching some sun wearing only a pair of sunglasses. (Done)

August - Feel comfortable enough to walk around a locker room without anything on while showering and getting dressed. (Done)

September - Visit either a nude beach or a nude resort with more than 20 people there. I went to one in late june, and there were only 6 people there. It was like a locker room outside. I didn't count this.

I am ok with my weight, but want to tone up what I have.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    computer illiteracy should be stamped out. HOW do youns do spread sheets like that? I can input data but not get bar graphs...
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    computer illiteracy should be stamped out. HOW do youns do spread sheets like that? I can input data but not get bar graphs...

It's seriously not intuitive. I'm an engineer and it still takes me 20 tries to get a graph right in Excel. And if one axis is dates - that's another whole mystery.

There's not a day that goes by when I don't thank god I'm not the guy who invented Excel - I can only imagine the negative thoughts that come his way everyday.

But, try the online help. And use the scatter chart. That's all I know.
  • ScubyUK
    Options

It's seriously not intuitive. I'm an engineer and it still takes me 20 tries to get a graph right in Excel. And if one axis is dates - that's another whole mystery.

There's not a day that goes by when I don't thank god I'm not the guy who invented Excel - I can only imagine the negative thoughts that come his way everyday.

But, try the online help. And use the scatter chart. That's all I know.

I'm bored at work and feeling inspired, think I'll try and work that one out and post back a little how to or something. :o)
  • treetop57
    Options
    I'd google "excel graph tutorial" or something similar. I've been graphing data with excel for nearly 20 years, and it's become second nature. A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's also worth ten thousand or so numbers!
  • ScubyUK
    Options
    I've managed to get a multi-axis line graph going.

Left Y for lbs, Right Y for Kgs, with Date along the X.

What I wanted to do was to be able to plot the actual weight against the respective Left and Right Axis', but it doesn't want to play ball. :o(

So every month I'll change the value and plot it that way. Just me trying to be a clever cloggs. hehehehehe
  • treetop57
    Options
    13285248_559.jpg

Since all the secondary axis is showing is different units for the same data, you don't actually need a complete data set in the secondary unit. The only hard part is getting the two units to line up. The way I do it is setting hard values for min, max, and major unit on each axis so they line up.

On the pounds axis, min=205, max=250, major unit=5.

On the kilos axis, the same values, divided by 2.2: min=93.182, max=113.64, major unit=2.273.

Of course, if you think mainly in kilos, you probably want the round numbers on that axis and the funky numbers on the pounds axis.

If you let excel chose the axis min, max, and unit, it won't know what you're trying to do and the two will never line up right.
  • treetop57
    Options
    And just to show off . . . .

13285248_1226.jpg

There isn't actually any BMI data in my spreadsheet, but because BMI is just a linear function of weight, I can plot the BMI just by picking the right secondary axis values. For someone my height, with the weight range of 205 to 250:

min = 23.740, max=28.951, major unit = 0.579