Anyone Disabled?

Options
:frown: Hi I have MS & find it extremely difficult to do any exercise due to my lack of walking! I can walk very slowly & awkwardly with crutches but use a battery powered chair or my mobility scooter when going any distances. I found I was putting on the pounds especially after a 2 month stay in hospital! When I came home I was disgusted with myself, I felt/looked awful & my clothes were all too tight & uncomfortable. So it was time to do something about it & my sister told me that her 2 daughters had joined this site & had both lost nearly a stone (they have now both lost over 2 stone each :happy: ). I had a look at MFP & joined there & then & have never looked back as to date I have lost 13lbs :happy: . However I am now stuck & have not lost any more for 4 weeks & am losing my motivation, I really don't know what else I can do as I stick to my dailycalorie allowance with the odd blowout on family ocassions& weekends. I would dearly love to lose the last pound for my first stone then another stone.

Any help will be gratefully received, thanks for reading TTFN.

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Does the MS just/mostly effect your legs? There are a lot of upper bod exercises you could do. Most gym's can make up a programme for you which will have some cardio and some lifting. They usually have a disabled fee too which works out lots cheaper than the full price membership:) or buy a couple of dumbbells and look up how to do the exercises correctly online/in a book:)

Although as they say, weight loss is from what you ea, not what you do. muscle definition and strength comes from what you do, not what you eat. I've know some VERY strong and fit fat people and some very unhealthy and unfit skinny ones!

for weeks feels like a long time, and that your wasting your effort, but if you're eating at a deficit, the weight will come off! I had an 8week stand still which was awful - but when I started losing again I lost lots for the next couple of weeks:) just keep lugging away. you can try switching your calories around - some people find zig-zagging (eating more one day & less he next to an average of your goal) works. or you can try just changing the up/down by 100 or so and see what happens.....
  • Granjosie
    Granjosie Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks Mrs Agi, yes its mainly my legs but arms are weak although I've made my own weights with sand in plastic bottles & have a DVD by Mr Motivator done in conjunction with the MS Trust, so I do try & do what I can.

Think I was just feeling a bit down as not been well this week, however I have done my weekly weigh in & now lost the final 1lb for my first stone loss at last::-) Now its onward & upwards for the next stone & as you say keep lugging away.

Thanks again for replying.
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yup! I come under that lovely scope - I have Athritis - some days are good others bloody painful! I just do what i can when i can, so if the pain is really bad i dont do much dedicated exercise, but if im having a good day, then i do... really frustrating though :(
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Hi Claire,

Arthritis is horrid I only have it in my knees the left one gives me some jip mainly at night but its not as bad as my sisters or some other people I know so I'm lucky in that respect. Like you I just do what I can & each day is different. My pain is more of an ache mainly in my legs but I get a very wierd sensation from knees down to ankles it feels like they are freezing or burning very hard to explain & when I or anyone touches them its really bad I could scream:(

Since starting this topic I have lost another 1lb so well pleased as thats my first stone gone:)) I'm now starting on getting rid of the next one.

Thanks for replying, keep plodding on:))

Jo
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Athrur is an oddie eh? sometimes its like sharp knife stabby pains (particularly in my knees after i fractured both which kicked this whole thing off) other times its like a constant ache and dragging with tingling pins and needle like pains in my ankles and feet - im told that its likely the swelling behind my knees pressing on a nerve which is sending the pain down into my feet - could this be what youre getting too?

I dont know if you've gone through the menopause yet, im 38 next month so i havent, but sometimes i pray for an early one as the hormonal flux each month has my bones in agony for the first few days of my cycle :sad:

I'm due to weigh in on monday - scared!! ive been monitoring everything all week, yet it still scares me that all the effort is for nothing :grumble:
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Yes it could be the same its difficult to say as with MS you get the tingling/pins & needles/feeling hot/cold/freezing. I don't get that in my knees though just below to the ankle & its mainly in front not on the calf so you see its all very strange. Its because the Myelin on the end of the nerves has gone on MS sufferers so the nerve endings are bare which makes every feeling/sensation much more sensative. My worst problem appart from the walking is the muscle spasms which I get most days & the tablets make me very sleepy :grumble:

I'm 60 so have gone through menopause which wasn't a pleasant experience & I still get hot flushes most days some worse than others.

Good luck with your next weigh in :smile:
  • MrsAgi
    Options
    swimming is really good - I keep trying to get my arthritic hubby to go but he hates the water LOL (doesn't help that he has severe psoriasis so it hurts!). Zero impact so great for arthritis. My dad carried on swimming for decades after getting primary progressive MS in his very early 20's....
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Yes I would love to go swimming again, its been years since I've been I know I would benefit from it but I would really struggle with getting in/out of pool plus it would take me ages to get dried/dressed I would feel rather self concious about it all too so I doubt whether it will ever happen now:(
  • MrsAgi
    Options
    most local authority pools have disabled sessions (usually in the middle of a weekday, so no good if you work *sigh*) and pool hoists to get you in/out. Do you have anyone who can go with you to help? Either a regular carer or the MSsoc might be able to provide a swimming buddy specifically - might be worth waiting until after the summer holidays now though......
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Yes I have thought about before but never plucked up courage to do anything about it :frown: . Maybe now I've lost some weight it'll spur me on to do something. Not sure who I'd get to help me though as my daughter has 2 little girls & the youngest will be 2 in October so not at school yet. Its certainly something to think about anyway, thanks. I have lost another 2lbs this week so am feeling rather pleased with myself :bigsmile: although I'm going to a BBQ this pm so it might go back on again lol :laugh:
  • MrsAgi
    Options
    quite a few charities offer a "buddy" service where they match up people with a carer/buddy for a very short period of time/specific activity. Years ago I was a swimming buddy for spinabifida teenagers, and I know my local Autistic Society offers the same concept as they suggested it for my son (but it's easier for me to do it TBH), so its worth contacting your local MS society - or even CAB as they hold a list of local charities:)

Well done on the loss - my days of 2lb a week seem to be over already:( But I am happy that the scales are still heading in the right direction!
  • TigersTears
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Kim,

I have Cerebral Palsy, so I don't exercise much but I think I'm a good motivavor and would really like to make some new friends. I'm 3 weeks into my counting calories diet. I weigh about 225lbs BUT that doesn't make me the woman I am. I hope we can band together and encourage each other...we have enough to deal with by ourselves...so let's do it. xxxx:happy:

Oh and if anyone wants a new friend...feel free....
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Hi Kim

Good to hear from you, I really need motivating so any encouragement will be greatly recieved. I'm afraid my 2lb came off due to me not being very well last week so its not a typical one.

I would like to lose another stone & maybe a bit more but think it will be very hard going now so any help will be gratefully recieved.

Like you say "let's do it", come on folks xx
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Hi Mrs Agi

Thanks for the suggestion if I get my head together I'll give it a go. I'm so pleased I put this topic up as I have already been encouraged by the response of you lovely people & hope we can all help each other.

As I said to Kim my 2lb was due more to me being ill last week & after a family BBQ on Saturday & a very unhealthy tea today I doubt whether I'll lose any for a couple of weeks as I always find it hard to get back into healthy eating when I've been 'bad'!

So bring it on a new week begins & I have new friends to help me through :smile:

Jo xx
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Hiya

I have not been v well for couple of weeks (MS related stomach probs) now feel really bloated & am struggling to eat 'healthy'!!!! Also I have been having the most horiffic muscle spasms which have lasted up to 2 hours sometimes:-( On the plus side I have had to keep moving as just sitting makes them worse. So I think that can count as exercise & yesterday I decided to do something I've been wanting to do for months. I managed to get myself into the garden shed & sort it out a bit. I had to keep sitting down as I'm very unsteady on my legs & it was extremely hot but I'm so pleased I did it I felt exhausted but very happy. I think I'll have to do more stuff like that as last night was the first night I've slept for 5 solid hours in months so another bonus.

Well that's all from me today, how are you ladies? Hope you're eating is going better than mine.

TTFN Jo xx
  • sabbers1982
    Options
    Hi I have Muscular Dystrophy, I'm a part time electric wheel chair user. I can still walk but not very far, can't stand for long periods of time and have trouble getting up from regular chairs. I do use one of those portable floor pedal things, need to clear some room because I'm thinking of getting a recumbent exercise bike. Got some dumbells too, only lifting 2.5k and doing a few exercises with those. But I've been losing a bit of weight since I started on here. Might start swimming too. Wondering if it's even worth going to a gym.
  • Granjosie
    Options
    Hi, I'm afraid I need some get up & go as not doing anything at mo!! When I was 'able' I joined a gym with my duaghter & we loved it especially after an hour on the machines we went swimming/jacuzzi/sauna & steam room. Went went regularly for about 4/5 months & even went to the aqua aerobics classes which is when I realised something was wrong with my legs :frown:

I really must get my act together & do something as I am losing weight but need some toning up especially my tummy but can't see how I can get rid of that 'flab' due to my muscles just not working now :frown:

Oh well guess I'll just keep plodding onas usual :laugh:
  • MrsAgi
    Options
    all my efforts are having a knock on effect on hubby - he lost 10lb this month!

Which is a little depressing since I lost 2lb in the same time period with running and 30DS grrr!!!!!

But great going as he suffers from severe arthritis and psoriasis, as well as being a type 1 diabetic. Just shows what eating healthier and smaller portions will do:)

He's still in denial about how much he has to lose, but I'm really pleased he has taken on board the ethos of eating better - it will make both of our lives easier.

We started a dairy free diet for my daughter today too - got to go 6 weeks and see if it helps. Although the rest of us are not going fully dairy fee, I'm hoping it might help us think up healthier meals (although I am going to miss creamy sauces and buttery mash)
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a few little disabilities that make it a little harder to lose weight, due to been less active than others.

The main one is that i lost a full leg when i was run over by a drunk when i was 20 back 1986,
    it was amputated right up by my hip so it can be difficult to do some things, as I have no "false leg" right now so i'm on crutches for years now.

The prolonged use of the crutches has put massive wear and tear on my wrists and i now have severe arthritis.

Then also as i have been walking on just the one leg for years my hip, knee and ankle also suffer with arthritis.
    and i have back pain every day.

I try not to let this get in the way of anything i want to do and i'm very active considering.
    The weight has slowly gone up year on year but i started to try turn things around on the 8th Jan this year when i reached 22 stone, i've lost 44lb. so far and need to lose about another 60 - 80lb. It's slow enough but i will do it.

I lift weight sitting on a bench, try to do most things by adapting things to make do,
    i'm out in the garden most days, doing lots of little jobs to keep busy and burn a few calories
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have Asperger Syndrome, which is quite different from the disabilities described here, as it mainly affects how my mind processes things, but it also affects my ability to exercise in that I have weak muscle tone and hypermobility and poor coordination. Because these are aspects of Aspergers which are not normally focused on, I wasn't aware of them for a long time, other than being vaguely aware of being a bit weak and clumsy, and finding exercise difficult, but since I've become more aware that these things are part of Aspergers, I've been working on them. I've been doing a lot of strength exercises lately, and am really feeling the difference.

I am finding the food diary on MFP very useful too, as it helps me keep track of what I eat and focus on eating regularly and healthily, and eating enough and not too much. I am not really too bothered about losing weight (although I give myself a target because I like having a number to aim for) but it's very important for me to eat healthy, simple, natural foods, because I get a lot of digestive problems (which are also part of Aspergers).