Post Back Surgery Workouts

Options
So I went in for my 3 month post op visit a couple weeks ago and the doctor said I can start resuming "normal activities". He even said that I can start lifting weights again, but said to start with a really low weight. I have been mostly just working out by walking, doing the elliptical and stationary biking. So today I took the step of adding weight training back into my workout. I started with some really low weight and did just the basic squat, bench press and curls. Anyone else out there have an experience starting back into weight lifting after a surgery, back or other? I'd like to know how it went and what worked best.:happy:

Replies

• rquantick
    rquantick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi had surgery 2 weeks ago,
    had Discectomy on 2 discs as i had severe sciatica for 2 years
    I've just started physio and have still got at least 4 weeks before being able to do much exercise
    I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this has worked
  • sundedo
    sundedo Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm almost 10 months post-op for a 2 level lumbar fusion (L4-S1). Physical therapy started around 4 weeks post op with simple stretching and core strengthening and I gradually increased my activity with walking.

My current status is pretty good. I'm up to working out 3-4 days a week at the gym. There are certain exercises I stay away from to keep the stress off my lower back. I mostly stick with the cable machines and low weight free weights. I also don't jog any more, sticking to the elliptical and bikes. If I can make a suggestion, don't do squats. Use the leg curl/extension or leg press machine. It's far to easy to damage your back doing squats.

Just listen to your body. If you start to feel any pain or instability, stop. Focus on form and stabilization and you'll be fine :)
  • yenyarooiam
    yenyarooiam Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My dr told me resume my normal activities to What a joke Anyway physical therapy helped alot when i was done my pt told me to keep working out building strength back up it would help with my pain Lisen to my body if it says stop stop ect
    She also to me to never do any ex or weights that pushed down on my body it would only hurt me and cause more damage
    I hope this helps
  • ksmcq1967
    ksmcq1967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Since May, I had a discectomy at L4-L5, L5-S1, and an anterior fusion at C5-C6, C6-C7. I have severe spinal stenosis as well as severe degenerative disc disease. Previous to my surgeries I averaged working 60 hours per week(most of which was on my feet) as a general manager of a restaurant. Since my surgeries I have been left with a limp because my calf muscle has been damaged from the sciatic nerve being "crushed". Because of this, I will probably no longer be going back to work. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, because I could have a lot worse things going on. However, I'm looking for any information on getting back into somewhat of a normal routine and some moral support from those with the same problems.
  • vbutlerb
    vbutlerb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had a dpinal fusion back in 1985. Wish I had known about the Feldenkrais method back then...and the Anat Baniel dvd's. She hassome video clips of sample ecercises online. Her method is the best thing I ever found besides Freedom From Pain, the book. Good luck.