What do you do for your animals during the hot weather?

Options
Ozzyzmommy
Ozzyzmommy Posts: 142 Member
I have a 8 1/2 year old Chi-Weenie who is my life...
When it gets in the high 80's-100's Ozzy gets very mopey ... and with his arthritis he can barely make it up his ramps :(
So to make sure he keeps cool I either run him under the shower or wipe him down with a wet washcloth, it's so cute he gets to running around the house happy just like a puppy :)

And to make sure he stays hydrated Twice a day he gets watermelon (He absolutely loves it) and even during the other seasons he gets other melons, apples.

Please share what you do :)

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Nothing really. I make sure the AC is running on the really hot days and I'll change my walking route to a more shaded area but that's about it.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    Koda-my malamute- stays indoors with the AC and he sleeps more. I bought a cooling vest which works really well but he's never up for a walk these hot days so...
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Freyja, Rott, stays in the AC during the day and I walk her (when she wants to go) when its cooler out with breezes. I also give her ice water, she loves it!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Shes inside with fans on and plenty of water.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Levi Wigglesworth will just lie around like a bum. When we have to go outside to potty, I carry him around until he's ready to go and I always bring his H2O4K9 water bottle on our bike rides. He rides, I bike. we don't really have anything special that we do.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    My baby boy is named Ozzy too! He's a 3 year old wheaten. We also have a siberian husky/standard poodle mix so they are both cool weather dogs and have no tolerance for the heat. Mostly I've been keeping them indoors in the AC. I did buy them a plastic sided pool to play in but they kind of just dip their paws in an drink out of it. They play in the yard but I haven't been taking them on walks because the pavement is so hot. the watermelon is a good idea! Ozzy's favorite food is plain ice cubes.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have two Miniature Poodles, the female (Bianca) does not like the heat too much. Bentley (the male) is a little more tolerant. So on hot days I make sure to take them for their walks early in the morning around 6:30-7am and then again around 8pm. In between they just go out in the back yard to do their business and run around and play a bit for about 5-10 mi, then they they want to come back in. Other than that, the AC stays on for them.

My pups like watermelon too and Ice Pups (by the Honest Kitchen)...it can be served as ice cubes, cold broth-like liquid or in the winter like a warm broth.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My cats have access to our bedroom which has a window a/c unit in it, and the rabbit has a window fan. I make sure they have extra water, and increase the amount of soft food (for the cats) and fresh produce for the rabbit, to try and increase their H20 intake. Ice cubes in the water bowl work well.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    My baby boy is named Ozzy too! He's a 3 year old wheaten. We also have a siberian husky/standard poodle mix so they are both cool weather dogs and have no tolerance for the heat. Mostly I've been keeping them indoors in the AC. I did buy them a plastic sided pool to play in but they kind of just dip their paws in an drink out of it. They play in the yard but I haven't been taking them on walks because the pavement is so hot. the watermelon is a good idea! Ozzy's favorite food is plain ice cubes.

We stay inside with AC during the hottest part of the day. Then we go outside in the backyard and play sprinkler. And go into the little pool. They liked their pool. And running back and forth when mommy (thats me) sprays the hose. : ) Thats because the pavement is still too hot to walk down the sidewalk. Then we also go for walks down the sidewalk when their dad is home, and its cooled off. Usually after work, late in the day.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My husband had to clean up a massive cat vom-storm yesterday due to the sudden hot weather. Poor things (all of them). Might start putting ice cubes in the water bowl. On the whole they just sleep more because they are older girls.

The ferrets sleep more as well.

The tortoises are loving it!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    My Wal-Mart pool for Jada was my best investment. She loves it. I think it was 8 bucks. I also put a ton of ice cubes in her bowl. I have a plastic floor fan that she lays in front of most days.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    my 2 furkids (Kirby the boxer mix and Ziggy the beagle mix) HATE hot, humid weather. so, i do everything i can to keep them indoors in the AC and not walk them until it is WAY past the hot parts of the days. early morning and late evening. Kirby doesn't mind laying on the deck or in the grass in the backyard, but i won't let him be out there for very long when it is really hot.