No More Flag

Options
I've been in the Army for 15 years now. for the past few years i've struggled with the army standard and being overweight. i'm only 5'6" (5'7" on a really thick sock, tall hair day) so that doesn't help. i'm currently flagged which means i can't get promoted, go to school, or get awards. i'm on profile for no situps due to a back injury but i max my pushups every time and i'm running in the low 15s to high 14s.

i run usually three days a week, sometimes more but i'm on a good schedule for PT. i've recently started here and i'm doing good with watching what and how much i eat now. calorie counting and such has put me on a good path. i've cut out soda or only drink diet and i've switched my sweet tea to equal instead of sugar.

it would be great to hear from some other army/military folks for motivation and support.

I started my weigh ins last week and weighed in at 200lbs. i weighed this morning at 197. one week and 3lbs down. my goal weight is 175.

Replies

• jsmith0644
    jsmith0644 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're already on the right track. What's your schedule like that prevents you from running. When time was tight for me or I was at sea (marines) I found time for short cardio spurts 5 minutes at a time, I ran everywhere, dropped for squat thrust and sprinted without warning. I looked silly and didn't smell great at the end of the day but i was a field Marine and had to stay solid. You've been in for awhile, hang on a bit longer. Watch everything you eat, something may seem harmless but may not be. Carefully check the serving sizes. Buy yourself a food scale, be active in your food prep. And use this board. Mine is not expert advice, but it is what I'm doing and it works.
  • moonseer
    moonseer Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello Jimmy,
    It sounds like you are making some really good changes, congratulations. One thing I would suggest is to do away with ALL sodas, even diet. The sugar, even in the diet sodas can hinder your progress. Are you drinking them for the caffeine or taste. If for caffeine, I would suggest finding an alternative, such as green tea with a little lemon in it. Up until about a month ago I was struggling with loosing weight, even tho I was watching caloric intake along with carbs. But then I read an article about how sugar was hindering my weight loss. I have since become an Arbonne International Independent consultant. We offer a product that I use to replace the soda I used to drink. Its loaded with vitamin B which is a natural source of energy and low in sugar. So be careful not to replace soda with the energy drinks which have even more sugar. Since removing the sodas from my diet along with doing a detox, I have lost 2 dress sizes. And I am continuing to see changes. Keep up the good work.
  • gatigress
    gatigress Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    wow moonseer that is awesome on the dress sizes!
    Personally. I am having a hard time cutting back on soda and mine is for the caffeine. It may sound really weird, but tea and I do not get along. I am starting to not be able to tolerate coffee as well, it does bad things to my stomach to say the least. So I am trying to cut back to one soda a day, and take a multivitamin. Sadly I am a Dr Pepper Junkie. I am working on losing weight to get back into the shape I used to be in. I miss being a size 9. I know that the weight gain didn't happen over night so I am doing one step at a time, all natural. I am starting my goal to become more physically fit. I currently work as a civilian nurse, but was in the Army back in 2000 as a medic. Nice to meet everyone :)