New Member "how much should I weigh"

Options
Hey all :) My name is Ashley. I'm 6ft 7" and weighed in yesterday at 398lb. Apparently that's too heavy, lol. I had to hunt for awhile to find a body mass chart (because it's not POSSIBLE for women to be taller than 5ft 10 according to the first few I looked at) and this is what I got:
Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 179.2 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 174.0 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 196.7 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 192.5 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 164.2 lbs - 221.9 lbs

...come again? Less than 200 pounds? I don't know if this is a tall female problem or if average women have this same issue but..wtf? If I weighed anything less than 250 I'd be able to hide behind an oak tree without being seen. Frankly, I dont WANT to be that thin. I have a great hourglass figure and am very proportionate. I'd just like the proportions to be smaller.

Any one else have this issue?

Replies

• Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Dear lord! I agree with you on the "less than 200 pounds" thing. I think people that devised the BMI weight range got lazy after calculating the weight for girls that are 5ft 8.

My lightest weight was 98 kilos, which is like... 216 pounds. And I looked failrly decent/healthy. Still chubby, but not unhealthy looking. But apparently that would mean my BMI was 27.7, firmly in the "overweight zone".

So if I were you, I'd add at least 30 pounds to the 'healthy' weight. At that weight you should look damn fine!
  • alemiszki
    alemiszki Posts: 49
    Options
    I talked to my best friend about it last night and I told her, I'm pretty much okay with being """""over weight"""""" if that means I look healthy and feel great. I have a small frame, so I suppose it's POSSIBLE for me to weigh less than 200 pounds, but that's not the look I'm going for, lol
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley! Welcome to the tall ladies forum. I am 6'0 myself, and I have a 6'4 sister and a 6'9 boyfriend. I am used to being around the tallest of the tall!

I am no medical expert, but I can safely say that you should not listen to any of those BMI/frame size charts because they are not very accurate for very tall people, especially not for tall women. There are just not as many people to compare against and I'm sure not as much research has been done. Geez...even I look thin at 180 (but then again I am large framed).

Going back to my tall examples- I don't know how much my sister weighs because she wont tell me, but gauging from my brother (who is 6'4 and 265) she is somewhere between 265-290. She is definitely a 'big' girl, but I can't imagine her weighing under 200 because it would look weird as hell on her. Hell..I'm about 200 myself and I don't think I'm fat at all. She would probably look model thin at 210. My boyfriend is probably 240lbs at 6'9, and he is quite thin. That being said, I'd say 250 is a reasonable goal for you, as long as you are making healthy choices and getting into better physical/cardiovascular shape.
  • Sapphiredroplet
    Sapphiredroplet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A i'm only5' 11" and I hate those BMI calculaters. I am the same very proportionate already so why do I want to be a toothpick with legs. Not for me I have a very physically hard job and I'm afraid that if I get to small I won't be able to continue to do it. It takes muscle and body mass to restrain an agressive 150lb rottweiler at a veterinary clinic. LOL I also love the days I get to play with cute puppies. Anyway my goal is 199lbs so that I'm under those 2's but thats just me.

Great info ladies thanks

P.S. scw110489 I love the size comparison they worked well.LOL
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about BMI calculators, but I know quite a bit about how much women 5'10" to 6'4" actually weigh when they are very fit.

99.us-womens-rowing-2008.jpg

These Olympians weigh between 180 and 200 pounds. The tallest woman on the right, @ 6'4", weighs approximately 180 lbs.
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great picture!

BMI is all about averages and us lot are SO not average!

I am 5'11 and looked great at 180/185 but the the BMI charts tell me that that is overweight. However, I was looking at the waist to hip measurements and waist to height charts on FattoFit Radio (I am now 200lbs) which tells me that I am "healthy and attractive" (how they could possibly know if I am attractive or not I am not sure, but I am going with it!

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Great picture!

BMI is all about averages and us lot are SO not average!

I am 5'11 and looked great at 180/185 but the the BMI charts tell me that that is overweight. However, I was looking at the waist to hip measurements and waist to height charts on FattoFit Radio (I am now 200lbs) which tells me that I am "healthy and attractive" (how they could possibly know if I am attractive or not I am not sure, but I am going with it!

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

To add to this: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

That will tell you your ideal body weight based on body fat %, not height -- which I personally think is a much better indicator anyway. Shoot for 250 and see how you feel. Best of luck! :flowerforyou: