What do You Miss the Most?

Options
I really miss REAL thin crust greasy Italian pizza! I do the gf sometimes but I would so love the REAL thing. I just don't miss being sick. :(

Replies

• JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Oh so many things!!! But one of the things I would have to say I miss the most is fresh homemade brown bread!!

I used to love making my own bread, and I have tried the GF recipes, but it just isn't the same. But like you it isn't worth how it makes me feel.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    A vendor brought in donuts to our office today...... that hurt a little.....

And cupcakes!
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options

And cupcakes!

Yeah.... the whole food at work thing! Lately, my office has been bringing in pizza for lunch once a week for everyone. I just stay in my office, where I luckily can't smell it, and eat my salad I bring from home. They also had the work picnic/BBQ a week ago and got a sour cream dip so I could have something to eat. Really??? I had fruit and potato chips for lunch that day - argh!
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pizza, especially sicilian pizza from this place by my house. WE make a really good homemade gf pizza but its just not the same. When I smell it at work I hate that I can't go have a slice. And being able to get fries out, again I make them at home but its not the same.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Donuts and Steak and Kidney pudding. As I'm also dairy and soya free i could kill for a snickers or Mars bar and Cheese is a bad word in our house.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Good pizza, especially Chicago style, and doughnuts. :ohwell: Everything else, I'm fine, but those 2 things make me want to suffer the consequences from time to time.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    For me Its not one food Its the fact Of have to read and be so careful of everthing I eat not just for me but my 18 month old that has it to.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

And cupcakes!

I just started the GF thing and chose to start it over the summer for that exact reason. My school (workplace) is AWFUL with having food everywhere all the time so I wanted to get into the habit without that around. I am not looking forward to those temptations.
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Real bread. Baguettes. Italian bread. Sourdough. GF bread just isn't the same.
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Same definitely! I've found great gluten free pitta breads and some rolls that are pretty good, but it's just not the same!

P.S. does anyone else find the smell of gluten bread is unpleasant since going GF? I find it smells kind of acidic now.
  • Mamacass13
    Mamacass13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

And cupcakes!

I just started the GF thing and chose to start it over the summer for that exact reason. My school (workplace) is AWFUL with having food everywhere all the time so I wanted to get into the habit without that around. I am not looking forward to those temptations.

Just keep a strong head and know that you CAN'T have it cuz it will make you ill. That's been my saving grace. Sometimes I yearn for it inside, or someone will offer me something (either not knowing or forgetting) - i politely reply, no thank you, I can't eat that, I have Celiac Disease so I can't eat gluten or it will make me ill. I want people around me to know and then perhaps they'll eventually start to include me in and ask me for ways to do so - until then I just stay away !
  • Mamacass13
    Mamacass13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Of all the weirdest things....I miss Long John Silvers. A crappy fast food fish place where I used to always order chicken. It's not like I ate there very often even....just weird.

Flour tortillas for burritos...too.
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I went through a spell where I missed pizza too. Funny thing is, I only ate it about twice a year when I 'could eat it'! Silly mind!
    But I have thought about how many years I tried to control my ever growing weight, and I passed on things like croissants... now I wish I had eaten myself sicker when I could! LOL

I have never cared for sweets, so donuts and such never appealed to me. I guess I was lucky.

Yes, I find the smell of biscuits or bread baking nauseating now! Baking bread used to be one of my main hobbies. My grandkids loved Gramma's hot rolls and biscuits more than the cookies I baked. I used to think the scent was from Heaven.

I have missed other things I am intolerant of more than gluten. Corn.... sigh.... nachos..... mmmmm
    My husband baked some corn dogs for the kids last week, and the house smelled.... AMAZING to me.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I miss a sandwich with a good hard crust on the bread....
  • Meltatro
    Meltatro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a baker so imagine my dismay when I had to go gluten free....It was a struggle but I was determined. After 6 months of trial and error....I am able to make most of my products gluten free and they taste amazing! The key is to mixing about 3 or 4 different gluten free flours until you find the right flavor for you! Bread, Pizza Dough, doughnuts...noodles...the possibilites are endless!!!!!!!
    Good Luck People!!!
  • Eadne
    Eadne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Beer! I hate anything sweet, which most other alcoholic drinks are... I want a beer! Gluten free beer is too expensive to drink regularly and not available when I go out to a pub :(

For those who miss pizza... Zizzi (a restaurant chain in the UK) has been trialling gluten free pizza... the improved recipe should be available in selected restaurants in August and hopefully they'll eventually be rolling it out to all their restaurants nationwide :D
  • hungrybunni
    hungrybunni Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Same definitely! I've found great gluten free pitta breads and some rolls that are pretty good, but it's just not the same!

P.S. does anyone else find the smell of gluten bread is unpleasant since going GF? I find it smells kind of acidic now.

YES!!! I thought it was just me....my husband makes bread in the machine and I used to love that soft, squidgy yummy nice smelling stuff...now its ugh ugh ugh.....still miss not getting a decent cheese sarni tho lol
  • hungrybunni
    hungrybunni Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else I miss pizza. Someone told me that you could take your GF pizza base to Pizza Hut and they would make it up - a possible way of eating out as a family...anyone tried it?
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,182 Member
    Options

YES!!! I thought it was just me....my husband makes bread in the machine and I used to love that soft, squidgy yummy nice smelling stuff...now its ugh ugh ugh.....still miss not getting a decent cheese sarni tho lol

I can't even walk down the aisle in the store with the regular bread. I get nauseated!!
  • BWinsto1
    BWinsto1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hawaiian sweet bread, cake, chick fil a, cookies, .........