Thanatophobia... Because inevitability can be the cause...

Options
For those whom don't know what Thanatophobia is, it is the fear of death itself. I found out I have a case of Thanatophobia, and it does make life difficult at times. It can consume you in your waking hours, or when you are trying to drift to sleep. Rather than explaining it myself, I am going to copy and paste an article. Maybe this may help someone else too. Keep in mind, this article is not my own, I am just sharing it.

Thanatophobia, or fear of death, is a relatively complicated phobia. Many, if not most, people are afraid of dying. Some people fear being dead, while others are afraid of the actual act of dying. However, if the fear is so prevalent as to affect your daily life, then you might have a full-blown phobia.

Many people's fear of death is tied into their religious beliefs, particularly if they happen to be going through a period of questioning. Some people think that they know what will happen after death, but worry that they may be wrong. Some believe that the path to salvation is very straight and narrow, and fear that any deviations or mistakes may cause them to be eternally condemned.

Religious beliefs are highly personalized, and even a therapist of the same general faith may not fully understand a client's beliefs. If the fear of death is religiously based, it is often helpful to seek supplemental counseling from one's own religious leader. However, this should never be used to replace traditional mental health counseling.
Fear of the Unknown

RELIGIOUS ISSUES:

Thanatophobia may also have roots in fears of the unknown. It is part of the human condition to want to know and understand the world around us. What happens after death, however, cannot be unequivocally proven while we are still alive. People who are highly intelligent and inquisitive are often at greater risk for this type of thanatophobia, as are those who are questioning their own philosophical or religious beliefs.

FEAR OF LOSS OF CONTROL:

Like knowledge, control is something for which humans strive. Yet the act of dying is utterly outside anyone's control. Those who fear loss of control may attempt to hold death at bay through rigorous and sometimes extreme health checks and other rituals. Over time, it is easy to see how people with this type of thanatophobia may be at risk for obsessive-compulsive disorder, hypochondriasis and even delusional thinking.

FEAR OF PAIN, ILLNESS OR LOSS OF DIGNITY:

Some people with an apparent fear of death do not actually fear death itself. Instead, they are afraid of the circumstances that often surround the act of dying. They may be afraid of crippling pain, debilitating illness or even the associated loss of dignity. This type of thanatophobia may be identified through careful questioning about the specifics of the fear. Many people with this type of fear also suffer from nosophobia, hypochondriasis or other somatoform disorders.

CONCERNS ABOUT RELATIVES:

Many people who suffer from thanatophobia are not nearly as afraid to die as they are of what would happen to their families after their death. This appears to be especially common in new parents, single parents and caregivers. They may worry that their family would suffer financially or that no one would be around to care for them.

FEAR OF DEATH IN CHILDREN:

A child's fear of death can be devastating to the parent, but may actually be a healthy part of normal development. Children generally lack the defense mechanisms, religious beliefs and understanding of death that help adults cope. They also do not fully understand time, making it difficult for them to accept that people sometimes leave and come back again. These factors can lead children to a muddled and sometimes terrifying concept of what it means to be dead. Whether the fear qualifies as a phobia depends on its severity and the length of time it has been present. Phobias are generally not diagnosed in children until they have been present for more than six months.

RELATED FEARS:

It is not uncommon for people who suffer from thanatophobia to develop related phobias as well. Fears of tombstones, funeral homes (Necrophobia) and other symbols of death are common, as they can serve as reminders of the main phobia. Fear of ghosts or other entities is also common, particularly in those whose thanatophobia is based in religious factors.

DIAGNOSING THANATOPHOBIA:

As there are so many possible causes and complications, it is important that thanatophobia be diagnosed only by a trained mental health professional. He can ask guided questions and help the sufferer figure out exactly what is going on. She can also recognize the symptoms of related disorders and prescribe the appropriate course of treatment.

TREATING THANATOPHOBIA:

The course of treatment largely depends on the client's personal goals for therapy. Is she trying to resolve a religious conflict? Does he simply want to be able to attend Halloween events without panicking? The therapist must first determine the client's expectations before designing a treatment plan.

Depending on the circumstances, a variety of talk therapy solutions may be appropriate, ranging from cognitive-behavioral to psychoanalytic. Supplemental religious counseling, medications and other therapeutic alternatives may also be used in conjunction with therapy.

COPING WITH THANATOPHOBIA:

Whether or not to seek treatment for any phobia is a very personal decision. Regardless of whether you choose to get professional assistance, coping with the fear of death can be an ongoing daily struggle. Unlike many phobias that are triggered by specific incidents, such as seeing a spider, thanatophobia may be constantly at the back of your mind. Many of you report that your fear is worst at night, when you are alone in the dark and not distracted by day-to-day events.

How do you cope with your fear? Have you discovered any techniques that help you relax? What do you do if you must attend a funeral, or even watch a favorite character die on TV? I invite you to share your best coping strategy in the hope that we can all learn from each other. In addition, you may be interested in discussing this phobia with others who share your fear. Please visit the Phobias forum for an ongoing discussion on managing thanatophobia.

I am a firm believer in Christianity, and I do believe a god created me and other living things. It is trippy to think about where time began, or how it could possibly have always just been... I do worry as I try to drift to sleep that in death, I may cease to exist. If I am wrong, and there is no god, then that may just be it. I cease to breathe, therefore I cease to exist. I am the best person I can be because I choose to be, not because god tells me I must be. Still, it is terrifying to think that we just cease to exist after we pass from this world. Than trips the question, how did we cope not being around for millions of years in the first place? It is all just a f*cked up mess in my head. I don't mind that I must die, but I don't want to just not exist anymore. I hope that I am right to have faith in a god, and in a heaven. I don't wish to just cease to be. That would make life entirely pointless. We all know earth will only be inhabitable for so long. The sun is but a star, that will eventually burn out, which will bring the end of life on earth, unless again, I am right to believe in god. Then, the rapture will take care of life, but at least it will have more meaning. It is all too much to think of. I am going to leave it alone. No one knows for sure what is and what isn't. It all boils down to faith in an after life of some sort, or the acceptance that we live to die, and in time, cease to exist if no one remembers our name.

Replies

• Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! This was very interesting... I do worry about what will happen to my son if something were to happen to me, and sometimes I worry about ceasing to exist like you said. But I believe in reincarnation (not necessarily that you will come back to life as a bird, but that we live many lives as humans).

I wonder how different religious groups (or lack of religion) are affected by this phobia!
  • Mizzgena05
    Mizzgena05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from thanatophobia i have all my life. but it hot worse as panic attacks enter my life sometimes i'm sacred to sleep at night because i'm afraid will not wake up in the morning anxiety and panic disorder are truly running my life. but i also sought help from god and i'd like to think i'm getting better daily.
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    It's rough, and it is a legit phobia. No one knows what lies ahead of us after we pass away.
  • Mizzgena05
    Mizzgena05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's rough, and it is a legit phobia. No one knows what lies ahead of us after we pass away.

sooooo true, & thats scary
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Excellent read and great insight. I can totally relate to this phobia though I wouldnt say I particularly have it. When my anxiety/depersonalization gets VERY bad..sometimes I go into existential terror mode. I start questioning space/time/existence/eternity and I get this horrible feeling in the pit of the stomach. I then slowly tell myself I need to start LIVING life and not waste time questioning it. One of the helpful tips I learned from Harris Harrington was that often, we are afraid of the EMOTIONS these thoughts bring rather these concepts themselves which we have no influence over...mulling over them does nothing.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this and I really can't go to sleep a lot of the time, like tonight. Sometimes it's plain insomnia or this. Ugh.