Nutritionist?

Options
EdenEC
EdenEC Posts: 7 Member
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you have been to a nutritionist? If so, what was your experience like? I have been thinking about going to a nutritionist to see if I can get some help with my weight... Any input is greatly appreciated!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• BleuTree
    BleuTree Posts: 15
    Options
    I work with mine on a regular basis and love her to peices! she keeps an eye on my food for me (I print my report off here for her) and she sees EVERYTHING i'm eating and currently has me working on eating more protien
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ive ben thinking about this too but idk if its covered by inshurance and i dont really have the monie for something like that right now
  • BleuTree
    BleuTree Posts: 15
    Options
    most insurance companies may NOT cover it, but they will if you have diabetes. find a local clinic who offers nutritionist and ask how much they charge plus you decide when to go back, not the other way around
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing one for a couple of months now because I was diagnosed with diabetes. I find her very helpful, and a great source of encouragement and accountability. There is no way I want to walk into her office next month and tell her I just gave up! If you can get it covered, or afford it yourself, why not do it. I decided that if I'm going to succeed at weight loss, I need to use every resource I possibly can.
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm actually thinking of doing the same. I found that at least two of the local hospitals have free weight loss management support groups and programs. You may want to look onto that too.
  • raeCR
    raeCR Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of doing the same because- well I actually cried I just don't know what to eat. All of the media and trends confuse me. I recently found out I have high cholesterol so my insurance may cover the visit. I also have IBS. I really just want someone to give me a grocery list and recipe box. It is so hard to figure out on my own.
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the best experiences, but I am all about the extra support. I think the bad experiences come from the fact that my sister is a dietician, so I'm used to her being critical of what I eat (you know, while I'm eating grilled chicken and a baked potato and she is complaining about my carb intake while her naturally skinny self eats fried chicken and fries). But if you find the right one, they can be lifesavers.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the term 'nutritionist' needs no credentials backing it.

What you want is a 'Registered Dietitian' (Present!). Someone who is a member of the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. They have been put through rigorous programs for a reason!
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    True. My sister is a RD and director of nutrition services at her hospital.

And skinny and a bad eater and annoying. Lol.

The point is, find someone who is educated and who meshes well with YOU!
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Very good point....I wish I could see one but it's just not in the cards for me. I try and read a lot on line and make the best decisions for me based on all of the info out there.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    True. My sister is a RD and director of nutrition services at her hospital.

And skinny and a bad eater and annoying. Lol.
    LOL! I have a sister like that...

Kini--just make sure they have the proper credentials. :) I suggest checking out http://www.evelyntribole.com/ -- She has a book and a plan called 'intuitive eating' which is about listening to your body when you're truly hungry.

My personal favorite is Sumner Brooks, leader of Not On a Diet: http://www.notonadiet.com/