Introduction

Options
Hi there!

When my husband & I first started dating on '98 I was 135lbs. I miscarried shortly into our relationship and decided to get the Depo shot. Three months later I had put on 75 lbs, never got the shot again and was never able to lose the weight. In 2001 we had our first child where I gained 40 lbs & lost 30. In 2004 child #2 came a long where I topped out at 275 lbs when he was born. I've lost 60 lbs since his birth.

But I am at where I always seem to plateau. I know it's probably because I'm not active enough. I do work in at least 30 min of cardio 3 days a week, though these past 2 weeks I have failed to do anything besides housework. But I have cut my calories a lot. To maintain where I'm at I should consume 2200 cals/day, but I'm currently taking in 1300-1700 cals/day and drink TONS of water.

I have to say I'm a bit frustrated. I know it's probably my own fault for not exercising enough. I don't have any one close to me to exercise with and have little to no support group. I have a few people who say I look fine and I don't need to lose weight. My husband even says he's fine with my weight.......but I'm not. I'm doing this (or trying to) for myself and in turn I'm letting myself down.

I started being serious about the weight loss in April and the only weight I've lost is in my breasts. No inches or pounds lost. I'm about ready to throw in the towel and try to just be happy with my current body. So I'm here for some support. With knowing that all of you are trying to reach the same goal, I am hoping this will keep me motivated!

I can't wait to start this with you all!..............I WILL LOSE 65 lbs!!

Replies

• miracleharper
    Options
    hi there! i am pretty new to this site too. i have been on a my life style change since feb. (i rather say life style change, because it truly is just that!) If I knew what an emotional roller coaster I,d be in for back then I don't think i would have had the guts to start at all. i was stuck at 170 for over a month . I just kept drinkng water and eating right and forcing myself to do some sort of workout everyday. even if it was walking in place for 15 mins. eventually i broke the 170 mark. and as of today i am 158 for a total of 42 pounds down since feb. any little thing we do is getting us one step closer to our goals. i have just learned to accept the fact that i am going to slip up or slack off. its all about getting back on that horse and keep on keeping on. we will make it. sometimes we just need a little encouragement and thats why we are here to encourage each other. It really bothers me that society has made everyone feel bad about themselves when they have a slip up one their road to a healthier lifestyle. i also do zumba a few nights a week . I bought the dvds I will not subject myself to a class! but it is a good change from weights and treadmill. maybe you just need a work out change something you will find new and fun. We can do this!
  • BelchinBertha
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! I'm hoping to be there soon!

I move a lot during the day, but I sit a lot too. ;) I've changed a lot of things that I used to do. We used to eat prepackaged foods a lot, now it's more fresh foods. We used to eat out 5x or more a month, now it's around 1-2 times a month. I cook nightly, never fry our food, and load up with veggies! My late night snack was a huge bowl of sugary cereal, not I don't have one, I load up with water. We don't' even bring sugar cereals in the house anymore! (yay)

My biggest issue (besides exercising faithfully) is eating in the morning. I have a hard time, a REAL hard time eating in the morning. At the moment I have 1 cup of coffee (1/2 tsp sugar, black) & oatmeal w/ 2% milk, cinnamon & 1/2 tsp sugar. Before I would have 2-3 cups of coffee with loads of sugar & creamer and nothing else. It's little changes here and there, but I'm making them. My family & I will walk a mile in the evening. By myself I can walk that mile in 15 min, with the kids it takes 30, haha. I LOVE going for walks but it's hard to do much more than a mile with 2 whining kids who would rather go home & play than sweat. (kids these days!) We have a stationary bike that I ride occasionally. On those occasions I ride no less than 45 min (if I could only get off my butt & do it every day!)

But I am making small changes working in the right direction. And as a family we're working harder to move away from those awful prepackaged foods and we're all trying to incorporate more exercise!
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    I am married to the most wonderful man, I have three wonderful children and Im over weight....
    I have had 3 C-sections and every since my last child ( 5 years ago) i just keep packing on the pounds. I have been to my doctor and we have just started working closely together as I gains 12 pounds in 3 weeks. Blood work all came back fine so I guess its just me..

I am fairly active as I have 3 kids and I was running a dayhome in my house off and on for 13 years. I have just recently started working as a care aid in a nursing home, and thats alot of walking lol

I joined bootcamp last Oct and after 8 months of not loseing weight or inches i stopped going. It frustrated me. SO starting on July 1, I started doing jillian michaels 30 day shred and my elliptical. Two days of jillian and ellipitcal ( 25-35 mins), just elliptical( 25-35 mins),, two days of jillian and elliptica( 25-35 mins),l, just elliptical( 25-35 mins), and than rest day. I also have tried not to have any dill pickle chips ( my kryptonite) and I have been watching what I have been eating. Mostly salad, boneless skinless chicken breasts, shrimp, veggies, fruit and yogurt. I have to force myself most of the time to eat cause im just not hungry. Tryin to cut out booze and pop, not that I drink alot but im sure it doesnt help but so hard when it gets so hot.

I have weighed myself and took my meassurements on July 1st and I have not done it since , trying to wait till the end of the month because I know if nothing has changed I will loose my motavation.

Thats is my story, and wow I do not think I have ever told it on MFP before :D
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Wow - each of your stories sounds much like mine.

I started attempting weight lose last May after 8 years of steadily gaining 3-5 pounds per year. The weight gain was so slow i truly did not realize the impact until i learned that last year - at my top weight - my BMI was 31+ - OBESE. I was resolve to "change my lifestyle" rather than diet. By December I dropped 13 pounds and was psyched (and almost not obese)! But then Christmas and the New Year came and with it were parties, snacks, wonderful, calorie filled alcoholic drinks and a less than perfect "lifestyle change". It was SO discouraging to gain 5 pounds in one month when it took SIX MONTHS to lose 13!!! I somewhat gave up. But I actually couldn't completely give up --- I kept eating breakfast, drinking lost of water, and attempting to eat the healthy amount of veggies and fruit. That's when it hit me --- the small changes I've made over the previous 8 years is what put the weight on - so the small changes I make over the next lifetime of mine, should result in long term weight lose. It worked over the last year. The habits I'd picked up during my first attempt where sticking!!

I am still, after one year, down 7 pounds from my all time maximum weight. It took me 8 years to gain - just may take that long to lose!!!!

For the last month I've really "gotten into" making healthy choices. Lots of wild Salmon, sprouted grain bread, avocado, organic berries (they taste sooo much better - is that just me??) and fruits, and veggies from my garden that I KNOW are organic and DO taste way better than any store bought : ). "Buy higher quality and less quantity" is my new motto. And one more HUGE achievement, that has been impossible over many years - I quit drinking coffee - I was only at 1-3 cups in the morning with milk or cream (no sugar), but dawgone that half and half and coffee was not the wisest choice as the first thing to put in my mouth to start my day!!! After the first horrific week of withdraws, really, it lasted a week, I actually have much MORE energy. Replaced coffee with white, green, rooibos and pu erh teas. I'm loving it.

What is still lacking is any real commitment to consistent exercise. Started C25K and successfully completed week 6 and then stopped exercising altogether for 3 weeks (due to travel, then family illness - see how easily the excuses come?). Do yoga and love ti but only do it about 3 times per month!! I mean come on.........................

I am going to post my start weight here and hope the support of this group keeps me as focused on healthy eating as I am right now - and gets me back into gear on exercise.

One more thing - still cant give up a fancy cocktail a few times a week. It summer - home brews are awesome, nothing like a margarita in the evening, and a glass of cold pinot at night with friends.........so........ I did give up coffee - right?:smile::smile:

START: 187.2 (measurements to come later)
    Lifestyle commitment change for this month
    1) eat, drink, (even talk) slowly - BE in the moment and enjoy food rather than unconsciously stuffing food in my mouth
    2) yoga - be in - do it - 3 times per week even if its just 15 minutes
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    oh dear - sorry for the book!
  • k_dreps
    k_dreps Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello, I'm Karin...a 32 year old mommy of two (ages 6 & almost 4), I'm happily married and a co-leader to an awesome Girl Scout troop. I almost had my weight mastered two years ago (I was down to 26% body fat) when my husband was diagnosed with Leukemia. I backslid in the worst way gaining it all back. I've been on this site for 3 days now and I'm already seeing the scale move! My current goal is to lose 33 lbs by my 33rd birthday in November. I have more to lose than that, but figured that was a great place to start and I'd definitely earn my piece of cake by then :wink:
  • donnasjohnson
    donnasjohnson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm Donna...49 years old and determined to lose 50 pounds before I turn 50. Was at my all time highest 3 years ago at 225 and started that year off determined to not add another single pound. I lost 25 pounds that year, but have gone up and down and have been anywhere from 195 - 215 since then. Finally in April I had enough. I was as 211 and have lost 20 pounds since then. I haven't gotten drastic, just more committed than I have been in a long, long time. Every couple of weeks I try to add another healthy habit. So far I'm eating something for breakfast every day, I drink my water, I log my calories, started back to the gym (slowly increasing my cardio time and just last week adding some strength training.) Finally bought a good food scale the other day so now I'm weighing my portions. This is the first group I have joined...I kind of like being a lone ranger, but know in my heart that could be my downfall. Hoping this group will help keep me honest and from slipping into that dreaded slow slide back into denial.
  • rmcgavoc
    rmcgavoc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey friends!

My name is Renee and I am 23 years old. I'm a new teacher (about to start my second year) in Tampa, Florida. I'm also engaged and planning my wedding in November. I have two beautiful puppies and a great fiancé! :)

I gained about 15 pounds at the end of my first year teaching, putting me at 148 lbs at the beginning of summer. As far as goals go, I my "weight goal" is to get back down to 130 lbs, but i've really been focusing on body measurements and how I look and feel. So far I've lost 5 lbs this summer.

My strength is once I'm doing my healthy eating and working out, I beast out and I do great; my biggest challenge, however, is finding that motivation. I'm a junk food junkie! And when I get off from work I'm so exhausted, and it's so easy to just pass the gym (which is literally on my way home from work) and stop to get a pizza or some fast food for dinner instead of whipping up a healthy meal.

I know I don't have a whole lot of weight left before I reach my goal, but with school starting in a week HOW DO I KEEP THE MOTIVATION GOING?! That's why I joined this group. :)

Thanks in advance for your support! :)