New here.

Options
I am new to MFP and this board. I have also been gf for the past 6 months. My doctor told me to not focus on making/finding substitutes for the baked goods we were already used to but to focus on lean meats and fruits and veggies. I didnt exactly take her advice and I really put on the pounds buy trying so many of the gf alternatives out there. Plus, I love to bake so I went crazy baking all the gf recipes I could find so my kids wouldnt be missing out on their favorites. I am now doing as the doctor ordered and just eating lean meats and produce, so I hope the weight will come back off. :)

Replies

• gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You're going in the right direction now--focus on what you can eat, not what you can't. It's hard to do I know because I have been gluten free for about the same time. I realized that I really don't eat a lot of cake and cookies, so I don't miss them too much. I can still have my chocolate and that helps a lot. It's got to be harder for you with children around because you really don't want them missing out on treats.

Good luck with your new eating habits.
  • angelah55
    angelah55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am back again, loads more weight to shift, and yes, I do find it much harder now I am g/f.

Same as you, I baked every g/f recipe going, had a freezer full of cakes and biscuits.
    My biggest downfall is bread, just love it, and cant live without it. (well guess I could if I had to), and the calories of the Juvela bread is horrendous.

I would like to make pals with any other coeliacs out there, be great to swap ideas.
    Good luck
    Angela
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We have a saying in our house "just because it's gluten-free, doesn't mean it's good for me". As my hubby and I saw ourselves doing the same thing by substituting GF items like cookies and pancakes we realized we weren't helping our own weight cause. He doesn't need to be GF but does it to support me. Isn't that wonderful. He even tells me when he "cheats" because someone brought something into work he couldn't resist. What a sweetie!

That being said, we do have the occasional GF pizza or his favorite, fried chicken made with GF flour.