What is your Goliath?

Options
Just reading the story of David and Goliath in 1 Samuel this morning and thinking how brave David was even as a youth
to just act on his faith in God that he would face a huge opponent and not even consider the possibility of failure. He said," Then
all this assembly shall know that the Lord does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord's" (1 Samuel 17:47)
He knew that if he stepped forward in faith to honor God's name/reputation that God would make sure to give him victory. This
got me thinking about how weight loss is such a goliath for so many of us...we may even have family around us that have the attitude
that we cannot lose the weight and are unsupportive. But God has given us guidelines in His word for healthy eating and
if we act on our faith in Him as our Helper, if we trust that He can give us the victory over each of our personal Goliaths, He has
promised to give us that victory. God does not want us to feel so terrible about ourselves, to feel so terrible physically. By making
healthy changes and sacrificing the junk and unhealthy habits, it is another way of worshipping Him. We also need to have a faith
like David....do not even consider failure. Our weight loss will happen if we just don't give up. Fight off the fear and frustration
and just keep going, praying and relying on God to be right at our side, fighting the battle for us.
I am curious to know what types of Goliaths others are struggling against? My own Goliath is fast food or chips and dip. These
are foods I always craved when I was younger and of course there was not much money to have it all the time (thank goodness!)
but now that I am an adult and can buy these things for myself it has become a nightmare struggle. Even just recently until I started to get serious about weight loss, I would eat it every day for months on end. It got to the point where I was starting to get little pains
in my chest or a racing heart. And still I would go the next day and buy more. At mcdonald's drive through I felt like the character on
Cheers tv show where everybody would yell, "Norm!" when he came in the door....I don't want to be a "regular" at a fast food place.
It continued like this until a terrible injury happened to my son and while in the hospital with him, I did not eat for days. I was up for 27 hours at a time, slept three or four hours and then be up for another 27. While this was happening, while my mind was distracted,
I think God used this experience to break me free of the utter addiction. As my son has healed the addiction is trying to return full force. To be honest I have broken a couple of times but absolutely nowhere near where I was before. Little by little God is giving me the victory but I do have a long way to go. The difference is that when I fail, I ask for forgiveness and then start again right away. I have lost 48 lbs before finding this site. What are you Goliaths?

Replies

• RoseBred
    RoseBred Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My Goliath is stress which makes me want to overeat and not plan. And when I don't plan my meals, I pretty much am planning to fail in the area of self-control. I like how the Word teaches us to be alert.
  • livinghealth12
    Options
    Weekends - when my family decides they have had enough of the "torture" of the week and want to eat out and/or get foods not good for health at the grocery store. :)
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    mine seems to a few of them

1. under eating

2. obbessing about workouts

3. calorie counting

4. confidence
  • AmyJKSaunders
    AmyJKSaunders Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mine is definitely getting too hungry at the end of the day. I'm fighting diabetes with diet only (no pills, no insulin) and I get really hungry at the end of the day. It is such a terrible feeling, and sometimes I will binge when I'm that hungry. It's definitely hard to fight when you're truly hungry.
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    I am fighting it as well and I understand the hunger pangs! I am on the initial strength dose of metformin which my doctor
    assures me that if I stick to healthy eating with help boost the weight loss. But sometimes when I am hungry I do eat
    something like an orange or yogurt because I would rather head off a huge binge before it starts I didn't get to the weight
    I am by eating lettuce, that's for sure. :P I really have to make sure it is hunger though and not just wanting to eat because of cravings! Good thing God gave us hunger pangs that we can hear for extra certainty, LOL.

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it."