Working Out With the Kids

Options
giftieetcetera
giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
How do you incorporate the kids into exercise?

I usually work out by myself (while daddy watches the 3 and 6 year old, especially when they are at karate class), but sometimes, they are with me.

I walk in a park that has a playground inside of the walking track. They play on the playground and run around in the park and I can see them the whole time that I walk.

Sometimes, if we are home, I turn on the Smurf Dance Party on the Wii and do it with them (though it's pretty easy) or just turn on music and we all dance.

I've tried Mommy and Me yoga dvds, but they just won't do it.

How do you work out with the kids?

Replies

• kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am a zumba addict. Recently, 2 of my local instructors partnered for "family fitness saturdays" where a zumbatomic (kids to age 12) and zumba/zumba toning (adults) classes run at the same time so we parents can get a break and get a solid workout in while the kids get a great workout in, too. Aside from teaching great balance, propreoception, listening/following direction skills, the kids are in well trained and safe hands without the parent guilt trip when exercising. The best part is when both classes are done and the kids are soooo proud of what they've learned and want to show you and all their friends.
  • Leanna423
    Leanna423 Posts: 13
    Options
    This is exactly the kind of forum I was looking for! I would like to know this as well. I have a 2 year old and an 8 week old so I think it's going to be difficult to lose weight. I only have a couple minutes to make myself a meal without someone screaming and needing attention so it's hard to eat healthy. And it's 100 degrees here so we can't really go on walks or play outside. It's even hard to work out at home because my kids usually sleep at different times. I can't do any workout videos while my 2 year is awake (he'll want to play and get in the way of me working out) and can't really do anything while the baby is awake either b/c he always wants to be held. I don't want to put him down and then start a work out video just to have to stop halfway through it b/c he's screaming ugh. Looking for any advice.
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Leanna, what about a stroller workout during the 2 year old's nap? Put the baby in the stroller and do things like run back and forth pushing the stroller, do jumping jacks in front of the stroller, run away from the stroller and do lunges back to the stroller, etc. With the 2 year old, during the baby's nap, turn up the music and dance together. Lifting a two year old (if your doc says it is okay) is a great workout. Lift, twirl, jump around.

Also, don't discount 5 minute workouts. 5 minutes 6 times a day (pushups, situps, running in place, jumping jacks) counts!
  • MrsHarvey2010
    MrsHarvey2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My DD is 16 months old. We chase her around the house, playing tag. Also she's incredibly cute because every day she gets the ab wheel and tries to use it. We caught it on tape and put it on YouTube. You can watch it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyj2raey_2s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I've also discovered that she thinks my sad attempt at jump rope is hysterical. So I can pop her in the highchair on the patio while I jump rope. Keeps her entertained for a few minutes at least. We also dance.

ADVICE FOR MAMMAS WITH LITTLE BABIES: as soon as they can hold their head up real good, you can use your baby like a weight. Lay on your back on the floor, put baby on your chest, then lift them up with your arms strait up from your chest. This helps work the pec. muscles and prevents saggy boobs. You can also hold baby and do squats while holding them. They like the motion and it's fantastic on buns and thighs. Do pushups with baby on the floor below you. Garunteed to make them giggle as you bounce up and down away from them. Play peek a boo sit ups. Put baby at your feet and play peek a boo over the top of your knees. There's lots of ways to make things into a game, just gotta be creative.
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    We have toys in the basement where I work out, so I take them down with me and set them up as best I can so I can work out. I have to stop and start to help/play, but I don't mind. I'm just happy to be working out! My kids are 2 and 3. Typically though, I get up and work out before they get up for the day.

Leanna- with kids that young, walks will be great for you (weather permitting). I doubt they'll make it easy for you but they're young and it will get easier! I promise!! Mine are 19 mos apart and I was in the same boat after the youngest was born. My husband would watch the baby will my 2 year old was asleep at night too.
  • kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Leanna, this is why it's taken me 3 years to get myself back on the weight loss track. The hardest thing is starting something (even folding laundry!) and having to stop, and start, and stop (ugly cycle). The reality is that it all adds up at the end of the day. Play with the 2 year old-they have more energy than we ever will and will keep you moving! Carrying the baby in a sling/holder is great exercise, too! They love the closeness, you have 2 free hands and all while "weight training" :) Hang in there and remember they are only young once (use it to your advantage!)
  • qwertyjess
    Options
    @MrsHarvey- I love that! Thank you for the advice, I have a 4 month old and I am going to try your advice tonight :) He is all smiles right now, so I am sure the push ups move will just crack him up! :)
  • Sharlene113
    Sharlene113 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When the kiddos get a bit older, you can change it up by dancing. My kids LOVED to dance with me around the house. Starting when they were about 3 or so. We would crank on the music and dance to music for 30 minutes or so a day. It's hard to call it exercise since it's so much fun!
  • JustMe4Me
    JustMe4Me Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a 12, 10, 7 and 1 year old. I understand your pain in working out with them. I do like you do. I do whatever I can think of to get me moving and them involved. The best so far has been my boys bike riding with me or me walking and the boys chasing around me on their bikes. We take our dog too to keep things fun =) Loving the ideas posted on here. I was needing some help with this too!
  • mejiapatty
    Options
    OMG i have the same problem i have a 18 month and 2 year old. I work 7 am to 4 pm. i get home cook, give the girls a bath, by the time they are out, my husband comes home, i feed him and he doesnt like to eat alone so i stay with him in the kitchen with the kids and when he finishes girls want to play with me, i have tried working out with them but its craziness, if they are nt fighting they are gettin into things or getting in my way, and lets me nt forget my husband wants me time too.

HELP ! i need tips and ideas.
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use them as weights ::laugh:: Logan is about 18 pounds, so I do overhead presses with him. Harley is 35 pounds, and Carma is 25, so I alternate between them on my back when doing squats. I count out loud, mostly for Carma, to help teach her how to count :smile:: Two birds with one stone!

They also love to dance, so we do that in the kitchen sometimes for cardio.