Buying Fabric

Options
TaintedVampyre
TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
Hello everybody,
I'm extremely curious as to what kind of fabric you have worked with to create your quilts.
I'm planning on a making a T-shirt quilt but I'm also curious as to whether any of you have purchased fabric from Ebay??
The latter question is the primary inquiry =)

Replies

• magnoliafly
    Options
    I usually work with cotton. T-shirt quilts can be tricky since they are often quite stretchy. Careful cutting of the main part of the t-shirt is the most important thing.

I've purchased fabric off of ebay and I've had mixed results. I go after the scrap boxes and I've received some good ones and some bad ones. Quality of fabric varies greatly. My last fabric box was gold because it was all quilt shop quality cotton scraps. Hard to find that stuff.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I found a beautiful fabric and would love to order it, but I'm still not sure what I'd do with it..... haha
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.
    I usually work with only cotton. I have not purchased from E-Bay but have from Keepsake Quilting. And was happy with my purchases. I am sort of spoiled since there is a quilt shop in town and 2 more within a 20 minute drive. Tee shirt quilts are very popular and I see many around but I agree with other group member the stretchy fabric is tricky. Good Luck.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I haven't purchased from Ebay, but I've shopped a lot for fabric on Etsy. I also run a small quilting fabric shop on Etsy, so I like to support other Etsy sellers when I can!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought fabric from ebay, but I've had bad experiences buying yarn from there (smelled like cigarette smoke). I too like etsy, especially for out of print stuff. My fave online quilting shop it Fat Quarter Shop. Love that place!
  • momkoz
    momkoz Posts: 6
    Options
    Cotton only. I usually buy my fabric online, from 2 places, mainly. I like fabric.com and yahoo coop fabric groups. Most of my fabric comes from the coop groups.

T-shirt quilts. Ive made one onesie baby quilt, and have two WIP for both my daughters. The secret to a good t-shirt quilt is the stabilizer! I bought this crummy awful sticky gooey mess that was suppose to be stabilizer. It's a gooey mess. Me and my iron hate it. The other tip is to buy the largest square ruler you can find. That flimsy piece of plastic that was included in that "pattern" is a joke. Once you have that giant ruler, you can cut the fronts out Lickety split. I used sticky back stabilizer for the onesie quilt. That was so much nicer. Third thing I did differently, was to use my serger.