July 22, 2012: Motivating Monday!

Options
Tomorrow, I am going to go to the gym. FOR the first time in two months? Not sure what I should do to get started... I was thinking elliptical for a bit and then work on my core? But I am constantly reading that weight training is essential for weight loss because muscle burns more calories when you are just sedentary. Any suggestions for how to go about doing weights??

Replies

• donnasjohnson
    donnasjohnson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just packed my bag for the gym so I can stop by after I get off work. I've been going consistently since mid April and really just have been doing various types of cardio until a week and a half ago. This week I going to do a full three days of weights (12 machines, 3 sets, 15 reps) and then two or three days of just cardio. This will be the absolute hardest goal I have set for myself so far...I really do not enjoy weights and have to force myself to do it, and I can by constantly repeating what I know to be true...I will absolutely love the results in just a short while! I have to ignore my short term frustrations and emotions and focus on what I intellectually know about what I want in the long term. This is the main reason I checked in this morning, by this afternoon my determination will lessen and I need the accountability of the group to help me actually park the car in the lot and walk in! Let's see what I post tonight!
  • jbspangs
    jbspangs Posts: 19
    Options
    Muscles DO burn more calories than fat. However, while on a deficit, you cannot really BUILD muscles. Of course, like most women, I'm sure you aren't looking to bulk up though!

When we lose weight, the body feeds itself with our fat and muscle mass BOTH. So, the importance of doing weight training while dieting is to MAINTAIN the muscle mass and strength that you already have.

I suggest starting out with the cardio machine of your choosing to start the blood pumping and raise your heart rate. Then, pick whether you want to work out the upper or lower body and have some fun on those machines. DONT use free weights unless you feel like you know what you are doing :) You can do more harm than good.

End the time at the gym with some core exercises and maybe a cool down on the cardio machine again.

Just my suggestion.

Congrats on getting back to the gym! :D
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Going to do 150 jumping jacks today per a post this AM.

Going to do yoga tonight per my own personal goal : )
  • is4031
    is4031 Posts: 71
    Options
    Monday: Run Day
    50-60 minute trail running/walking intervals

Tuesday: Bike/Upper Body Day
    10 Mile Bike with kid trailer
    Upper body low rest weights

Wednesday: Run Day/Kayaking Trip
    2-3 Hour River Kayak

Thursday: Hike/Lower Body Day
    45-60 minute hiking, hill climbs
    Lower body low rest weights

Friday: Run Day

Saturday: Long Run/Upper Body Day
    50-60 minute trail running/walking intervals increase mileage 10%
    Upper body low rest weights

Sunday: Rest Day
    15 Mile bike with kid trailer
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Mon- 30 min easy swim (or walk if pool is full) and weights/core
    Tues 60 min spin class/walk 1 mile
    Wed 1500 yard swim weights/core
    Thurs 60 min spin class/walk 1 mile
    Fri- a light workout of my choosing TBA
    Sat-rest
    Sun- RACE DAY! My second sprint triathlon of the season. 250 yard swim, 9 mile bike and 2 mile walk/run

@ccoester- I would warm up with cardio activity of your choice and then use the weight machines. If there is a trainer on the floor, there may be sample plans available. I am planning to read the New Weightlifting Rules For Women to see if can pick up some new ideas for the gym and ideally build up my core before my next race in late September.

edited for typo
  • TrinaTW
    TrinaTW Posts: 88
    Options
    Since I can't workout this week due to a concussion, I am going to continue to focus hard on healthy eating and being positive. I am excited that I made it though the weekend and was able to refrain from going crazy with eating! Weekends are always my hardest and I made good choices. I am on rest and bored out of my mind at times but I didn't turn to food and yesterday was my 8k race I was really looking forward to doing and I had to miss it but I didn't let my emotions drive me to food. And that feels very motivating to me!
  • cmecme
    Options
    Well, after reading these post I'm motivated to publish my plan for week instead of just today and try to achieve just a little more:

Monday: cardio - start week 5 of C25K to see if i can pick up here after my 3 weeks off, 30 minutes; yoga - 45 minutes; 150 jumping jacks and hold plank for one minutes - twice : )
    Tuesday - cardio 30 minutes - day 2 week 5 of C25K; 30 minutes yoga
    Wednesday - strenght training
    Thursday - cardio 30 minutes - day 3 week 5 of C25K; 30 minutes yoga
    Friday - 60 minutes yoga

Thanks for the extra motivation - just what i need : )
  • katymrose
    katymrose Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm afraid I have no suggestions.

This week I'm aiming for 4 days of cardio, probably the elliptical with hopefully an early morning walk thrown in depending on the weather. I hope to get in one routine from my Skimble app per day, two if my kids will allow it. lol

25489677.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Nownourish
    Nownourish Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and do the 30 Day Shred and reach 10000 steps on my Fitbit every day!
  • kristenn_53
    Options
    Let's see, this week I've already done a Zumba class, but I want to keep trying at Bodyflow and doing some more strength training for my arms. (:
  • skutrmnky
    skutrmnky Posts: 8
    Options
    So far today i've done about 15 minutes of WII training including Yoga and Strength training. I am going to get either my Zumba or Just Dance going on the WII later and possibly a walk on the treadmill if i have enough time. I've been doing my stretches every night and can almost touch my toes again!!!!!! My first goal is 230 and i'm getting there!!!!!!
  • cmecme
    Options
    Monday work out complete - completed day 1 week 5 of C25K even with 3 weeks off!! Did 150 jumping jacks - did plank - no way can i hold it for 1 minute - going to work up to that. Only did 15 minutes of yoga - feel GREAT!!
  • ChaCha9904
    ChaCha9904 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Finally hit 2.25 miles while running on Saturday so really going to push this week to do that a few more times this week!
  • is4031
    is4031 Posts: 71
    Options
    103 members in the group and only a few posting in here. Come on guys let's see some participation and helping each other out!
  • no1betta
    no1betta Posts: 11
    Options
    Goals:

Monday - walk/zumba (completed)
    Tuesday- walk/zumba/dvd
    Wednesday- walk/dvd
    Thursday- walk/zumba/dvd
    Friday- walk/dvd/zumba
    Saturday- walk/zumba/dvd
    Sunday- walk/dvd
  • mountainmanjake
    mountainmanjake Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My goal is to somehow figure out how to work in some daily cardio... My schedule (or lack thereof) doesn't really allow me to plan anything :( I leave the house at around 6:30am, go rafting all day, usually get home around 6:00pm and most of the time (this time of year anyway) its raining when I get home. So, having problems working in exercise around work. Work IS exercise to an extent, but not the kind of burn I need. I would LOVE to go mountain biking after work, but again the weather usually doesnt allow this (almost got struck by lightning yesterday!).

So my plan is to invest in an indoor cardio option. I found a pretty new golds gym exercise bike for $50, and a ProForm 985 treadmill for $150obo. I think the bike will take up less room in my tiny house, but I really want to get better at running. I'd love to eventually do a triathlon or some sort of adventure race.

Any suggestions?
  • cmecme
    Options
    Hey mountainmanja -

I bought a $100 used Norditrak treadmill from a work out facility that was upgrading. It folds up so when its not in use it doesn't take much space. Has all the bells and whistles you would expect when you use one at a gym

I didnt want to spend lots of bucks because i feared it would collect dust : )

I use the thing like crazy. After one year I had to have maintenance on it and cost about another 200 dollars but I love it so much and paid so little i gladly paid the fee.

Here's what i like about a treadmill - there are a little more options to work out - rather than just cycling at different speeds. I use it for lunges, i "skip" sideways, i walk up hill, use it to run my c25k workout. I've looked up several other treadmill work outs too. So during this hot hot hot summer I am using treadmill -

I think its a very personal choice, but I love my treadmill!
  • k_dreps
    k_dreps Posts: 7
    Options
    Cardio, Cardio, Cardio! At least 30 minutes for a minimum of 4 days this week!