New to Crossfit

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Hi all, just joined this group! I am starting my 5 week intro course (2 x mornings a week) and am AMPED about it! it looks awesome and I can't wait to get into it.

I don't know much about it except from what I have gleaned off Youtube so am unfamiliar with all the terms and stuff.

Can't wait to learn more about it from you guys.

Any suggestions on being able to walk after my first few sessions? Tend to be an all or nothing gal :-)

I figure if I start off 2 x days a week incorporated into my usual weight training routine I should see some awesome results??

Replies

• aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I hope you enjoy CrossFit as much as I do!! It's a whole different beast when it comes to fitness. My boyfriend and I started in April going 2x per week and now are up to 4-5x per week. Love it!! One thing I absolutely love is the CF community, I love the workout, but the people make it so much more!

I was pretty sore when I first started, and I'm not going to lie... sometimes I still get pretty sore... But at least for me I've finally started recovering pretty quickly.

Good Luck! Sit back, enjoy the kool-aid :-) and have a good time!!
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it. I never thought I would want to go every day but I do. I try for 4 times a week. Exercises are mixed up so that schedule is doable.

I like watching videos on line with coach Burgener. I really like watching Jon Gilson explain anything at all. :) For example, this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1NfxgmzT4

there is an impressive library on videos, and I go here when I have something in mind I want to look up

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    Welcome!

I go between 4-6x a week, depending on work/school/social stuff.

Just a friendly reminder that a lot of the WOD's can be scaled. Just because everyone else is doing Fran as Rx'ed doesn't mean you have to. I'm 5 months in, and still scaling myself. I have Helen for programming today which is set at 55lb KB swings. My form at that weight suffers still, so I'm dropping it down to 45 lbs. Might catch some grief from the trainers, but I would rather knock it out with a good time and not have a sore back tomorrow.

Have any questions? Feel free ask me or any one of the super friendly group members. Beware of CrossFit haters!

Chris
  • FloEd
    FloEd Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit in January 2012 going two times a week. I am 39 years old, female and very out of shape. Walking was definitely an issue the first few weeks! LOL!

After about 2-3 months I started getting comments that I looked like I had lost weight, was looking good, etc. AT that point I had probably lost 4-5 pounds, but I'm sure I was toning what was under all the fat. One lady at my office told me my butt looked smaller :-)

By 6 months of going 2x a week, I'd lost 9-10 pounds. I didn't take my measurements before I started, but I probably lost a few inches. I was definitely stronger and slightly fitter. At an open gym in July, I re-did the intro WOD. I shaved 1:30 off my initial time, so that was great. But I realized if I wanted to get rid of the fat I was going to have to start eating better in addition to working out which is what led me to MFP.

Also in July I upgraded to the unlimited package at my box. I now try go M-Th-F and every other Saturday for open gym to work on the stuff I can't work on during a WOD. On alternate Saturdays I'll go for a run. If you knew me, you would know how insane it is that the words "go for a run" are now in my vocabulary. I HATE running.

What I LOVE about Crossfit is, if I can get myself to the box, the workout takes care of itself. I love not having to think about what I'm going to do. They tell me, I do it (cursing under my breath) and when I leave I am hot, sweaty, dirty and happy as hell.
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    Thanks guys, had my first session today and LOVED it! Though got some serious chafing between the top of my butt cheeks (sorry TMI) from all the sit ups. Any suggestions? I have had this a few times (not that my *kitten* is particularly big) wearing different pants so it's not the pants. Should I tape and suck it up??
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    It could just be your shorts. I used to wear some shorts with a string in the waistband that gave me some problems. Also if your shirt isn't tight fitting, it will rub against you when you do the sit-ups. Now I just take my shirt off. Lot's of chicks work out it sports bras at my box.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Check out Gold Bond Anti Chafe, it looks like a deodorant stick. I use that on my fat thighs when I WOD in shorts and it has eliminated all chafing.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, had my first session today and LOVED it! Though got some serious chafing between the top of my butt cheeks (sorry TMI) from all the sit ups. Any suggestions? I have had this a few times (not that my *kitten* is particularly big) wearing different pants so it's not the pants. Should I tape and suck it up??

You're first day and you experienced ACR (*kitten* Crack Rash)! Body glide works well, also if you can do situps on a mat that will help also. Compression shorts work very well also.
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    Thanks! Love the ACR term - yep, definately got that one!