New to the Group

Hi, I'm Caroline and new to this group. I was diagnosed with PCOS earlier this year. I felt relieved and scared at the same time. Relieved that there actually is a medical reason behind my weight struggle and scared that always will be a struggle. I tend to be stuck in the cycle of all or nothing. I stick to a healthy lifestyle for a few weeks and then after a slip up or two, throw in the towel. Overall I feel I have a much healthier lifestyle than most I know, but I have to try extra extra hard to shed eve a pound, which I'm sure you all can relate too. My long term goal is to lose the extra weight so that I can be as healthy as possible, while still enjoying life and not depriving myself of some of the things I truly love (like ice cream!). Hopefully reading through some past posts and posting any questions I have will help me through this journey :)

Replies

• npeeks22
    npeeks22 Posts: 18 Member
    Its easy to slip up. One trick is to not throw away the whole day over one mistake. I was guilty of that. The secret is to tell yourself, "Okay. I ate that, now on with the show!"

Alot of people. including me, have received scripts for Metformin. It is supposed to help lower your glucose levels and help control your weight. Personally, I don't take it because it upsets my stomache. It may help you and not affect you at all. :smile:
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Hello Caroline,

The easy gain and struggle to lose is typical of the cycle of hormone imbalance (in this case pcos) - insulin resistance - cortisol overproduction.

You can largely rebalance your endocrine with very specific vitamins and minerals at the right dose.
    You can control insulin resistance by managing (not eliminating) carbs.
    You can avoid cortisol (hoard hormone) overproduction by limiting exercise to 35-45 minutes.
    Keeping your body in an alkaline state (rather than acid state) also helps aid weight loss.

Once you get control back over these linked systems, the weight loss is much, much easier. I lose 1kg a week. (2.2lbs).

Message or FR me if you want more info.

Best wishes.

Chainie xx
  • miss_sassyteacher
    miss_sassyteacher Posts: 11 Member
    I am also new to this group.
  • Chainie
    Hello Miss SassyTea, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of lovely like minded people here who are happy to help. I wish you every success. :-)
  • miss_sassyteacher
    miss_sassyteacher Posts: 11 Member
    thanks.
  • kit1986
    kit1986 Posts: 23
    I too am new to the group and so far have not been disppointed with all the information and support that I've read.

I'm definately an all or nothing girl which is something that I'm trying to stop which is and probably always will be a work in progress.

I tried metformin and I too had to stop because of the reaction I had (constant nauseous just wasn't for me)

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you on the forums :smile:
  • Pooh1981
    Pooh1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Hello everyone I am also new to this group...Thank God I found it I do belong to one other group that is P.C.O.S. based but don't feel as welcome there! I hope I do feel more welcome here! Hope to get some good advice on a few things but will worry about that later...I just thought I would introduce myself here first!
  • Chainie
    Hello kit, hello pooh, I hope you feel very welcome in this group. Lots of nice people who are all too happy to help. No you are definitely not alone. :-)
  • ssb179
    ssb179 Posts: 3
    Hey there. I am new to the group also. I was diagnosed ten years ago after trying to get pregant unsuccessfully. Apprently PCOS runs in our family. I have two beautiful twins though that are seven now and these days I just need to get my weight under control. What was the tip I saw in this conversation about taking the correct vitamins? I would love to know more about that!
  • Chainie
    Hey there. I am new to the group also. I was diagnosed ten years ago after trying to get pregant unsuccessfully. Apprently PCOS runs in our family. I have two beautiful twins though that are seven now and these days I just need to get my weight under control. What was the tip I saw in this conversation about taking the correct vitamins? I would love to know more about that!

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I have had a lot of success with using vitamins and minerals to rebalance my hormones. I take a 2gram blend of magnesium, calcium anda vitamin d. Plus 2gram vitamin c. Plus a zinc capsule. I started at 4g but got some pretty gobsmacking results after just a few days and reduced it to 2grams. For starters, TOM is back after being missing in action for 2 years. I find 2g is sufficient. 6g is the max dosage recommended but I am conscious that blood calcium is food for yeast and nobody wants to go down that path lol. And 2g works for me. I don't even take it every day now.

Insulin Resistance goes hand in hand with PCOS and is the problem behind easy gain and difficult weight loss. I can explain how if anyone interested. So if you easy gain, hard to lose you could be IR. I use this blend to balance my hormones so that I stand a chance at stabilizing my blood glucose (metabolism) so I can lose weight. Hormones - insulin - cortisol. I have lost 10kg in 8 weeks since making this cycle my ***** :-)

Best wishes.