Diabetics and Heat

Options
Italian_Buju
Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
I learned something new today, I always knew that diabetics do not handle heat well, but never really knew why, just that the DR told me to be careful, so after a conversation with a friend, I decided to look it up, and here is what I learned:

Dr. Adrienne Nassar, Mayo Clinic medical resident and lead author of the study, said in a news release, "People with diabetes have an impaired ability to sweat, which predisposes them to heat-related illness, as do uncontrolled, high blood sugars." She added: "Heat illness can take place at 80 to 90 degrees when you factor in the heat index."

A diabetic is at a higher risk of having adverse effects from heat sensitivity. A diabetic that hasn't taken preventive measures when subjected to extreme heat may have increased visits to an emergency room or may be hospitalized. A diabetic can suffer from dehydration and electrolyte abnormalities. Many diabetics are known to have suboptimal glycemic condition, which may increase a diabetic's risk of dehydration. A person that has diabetes is also put at a higher risk for death.

Diabetics need to know when to start preventive measures. Diabetics are more prone to have difficulties in the ability to sweat. This predisposes a diabetic to heat-related illnesses. High humidity makes heat even more dangerous because it slows the evaporation of perspiration, which is the way a body cools itself. The National Weather Service suggest that diabetics and others at a higher risk for heat sensitivity should begin taking precautions when the heat index reaches 80 or 90 to avoid heat stroke and other heat-related conditions.

Replies

• BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Interesting. This might explain feeling like death while hiking in St. John a few months ago in 85 degree heat and 75% humidity!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Hmm - I need to look more in to this. I always noticed I don't sweat much (or as much as others, perhaps) but never thought about it in relation to diabetes.
    I've also been lucky enough to not have much heat-related issues but I also live in an extremely hot and humid area (yay Houston!) so maybe I'm just conditioned (and air conditioned :laugh: )
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Hmm - I need to look more in to this. I always noticed I don't sweat much (or as much as others, perhaps) but never thought about it in relation to diabetes.
    I've also been lucky enough to not have much heat-related issues but I also live in an extremely hot and humid area (yay Houston!) so maybe I'm just conditioned (and air conditioned :laugh: )

I have also noticed that I do not sweat as much as everyone else, but did not know this was why until I looked that up a few days ago....interesting eh
  • tracyjh01
    tracyjh01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Now I see why I can't handle the heat and humidity very well. Just one more thing us diabetics has to worry about.
  • tinko1
    tinko1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I notice that my BG's run high when it's super hot outside. I am always worried about my insulin spoiling in the heat, so I try to stay outside no more than 30-60 minutes at a time.
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My body never works the way it should. My dad warned me about the heat constantly when I moved to Louisiana but I didn't believe him. I went from cold washington to hot louisiana and had the best A1C ever. That mixed with heat, and increased water intake, a regular schedule, college, and good food from the cafeteria including lots of salads.
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting. I've always felt like I sweat more than the average woman, but I've also noticed that I'm very sensitive to heat and humidity. If I'm outside for any length of time, I tend to get headrushes and feel nauseous. Now I wonder if it's because of my T1. Thanks for the info!
  • Wolf843
    Wolf843 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I noticed that Dr. Adrienne Nassar did not mention or explain why diabetics can have a problem with sweating in that exert. The lack of sweating is call anhidrosis. This can occur in some diabetics who have developed autonomic neuropathy.

There are several neuropathies, or nerve problems, that can develop in diabetics. The most common is peripheral neuropathy, which causes pain or loss of feeling in the toes, feet, hands and arms. Autonomic neuropathy is another fairly common neuropathy that typically manifests with indigestion, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea/constipation, orthostatic hypotension (dizziness or light headedness when standing up due to a drop in blood pressure), problems with urination, erectile dysfunction in men and vaginal dryness in women, hypoglycemic unawareness or problems sweating. Problems sweating can be either too much sweating, hyperhidrosis, or the lack of sweating, anhidrosis. This of course occurs when nerve damage prevents the sweat glands from working properly, and therefore regulating body temperature as well.

What causes this nerve damage? It is likely a combination of different factors including metabolic factors (high blood glucose levels, long duration of diabetes), damage to the blood vessels supplying oxygen and nutrients to the nerves, autoimmune factors that can cause inflammation in the nerves, genetics and lifestyle (smoking and alcohol use).
  • jonnyrosko
    jonnyrosko Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I’m a T1 and definitely don’t have a problem w/ not sweating. If anything, I sweat too much which most likely causes me to get dehydrated.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This seems so odd. Where can I find more info and research on this?
  • dsharpie
    dsharpie Posts: 55
    Options
    All I have ever noticed is my blood sugar drops when I am out in the heat.
  • kithalloyd
    kithalloyd Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I dont care for the heat here in the south it takes my breathe so I stay out of it as mucha as possible
  • Khalannah
    Khalannah Posts: 4
    Options

Yep, same here. Ever check your BG after going into a hot tub, sauna, or whirlpool? It'll be lower than when you went in for sure. Learned this the hard way, and then my endo explained why.
  • vickicutshall
    vickicutshall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to the group and noticed this subject first. I just returned from diabetes camp with kids, where I serve on the staff. I sure had a heat-related episode early in the week while simply touring a ghost town :smile: and standing in about 87 degrees. It seemed worst while in direct sun and only slightly relieved in the shade. I used a wet bandana on my neck and face to try to get cooled back down and gradually improved--also with drinking plenty of water. I didn't get fully comfortable until I returned to camp for a cool shower at the end of the day. I noticed as the week went on though, I got more tolerant (super dry heat where I live) and could enjoy more hiking. I've had T1 diabetes for 43 years and have had occasional heat-related events since I was a kid. Interesting discussion here. I could certainly have some autonomic neuropathy, but I do remember this problem since childhood, so curious about the sweating aspects. I did just sweat up a storm at the gym on a stationery bike and feel awesome though. Am super happy with MFP as a tool. Can anyone tell me whether/how they are using MFP to record their bgs?
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

Yep, same here. Ever check your BG after going into a hot tub, sauna, or whirlpool? It'll be lower than when you went in for sure. Learned this the hard way, and then my endo explained why.

I have never checked that.....why is that?