NURSING AND EXTREMELY HUNGRY!

Options
Frauhammie
Frauhammie Posts: 13 Member
Anyone else out there who is always hungry? I know breastfeeding burns lots of calories but I am gaining about 1lb per week because I always overeat. I average about 2,400 calories per day, I am 5'8" and 175 lbs! I figured maybe I wasn't eating enough protein but I eat on average about 100 grams per day. I recently increased my water intake thanks to a water bottle I just bought (hydracoach). I EBF a 5 month old and I also have a 2 year old and try to exercise as much as I can but it is not easy.
I would really appreciate some tips, clothes are getting tight!

Replies

• sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hmm, not sure. I am 5'5" and weigh 175. I also have a 2 year old and a 5 month old who is nursing exclusively. I walk a lot pushing the stroller, carrying the baby, etc. and I am active in general with the boys, such as going to the park and pool, but I do not do any other exercise. I eat about a healthy 1800-2000 calories a day. I have lost 40 pounds in the last 4 months (about 55 since giving birth in February). I am still steadily loosing weight. Feel free to add me. :)
  • babyphat2012
    babyphat2012 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also breast feed and find that i am constantly hungry. I started drinking water as im breastfeeding and that helps stave off the hunger for a few. I usually have nuts on hand when my hunger gets out of control. I workout 3 days a week in the early morning while everyone is asleep. I go to the gym I cant workout in my house with a 4 month old so for me to successfully lose weight i have my husband watch our daughter and i go to the gym That is my time for myself plus i get in a damn good workout when i dont have to worry about my baby waking up.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Wow, a pound a week is pretty serious. I have a hard time believing you are consistently eating 500 cals above your needs while trying not to? How long have you been gaining that quickly? Maybe you should check a pregnancy test and take a serious look at what's causing you to overeat. You shouldnt be hungry past your calorie needs. Maybe you are misperceiving thirst or biredom or depression as cues to eat? I can't see your diary but make sure you are filling up on water (at least 1L), veggies, fruits, and proteins first.

I am 2 weeks pp from a c section and so far my biggest issue is being really thirsty and so busy feeding my LO that it can be hard to get away to eat. But when I do I want rich food like sweets, nuts, and heavy meats. This is going to catch up with me, definitely working on eating more veggies and drinking as much water as possible. I can't really exercise yet, at least you have that. What kind of routines do you do and is there someone that can watch the kids for at least half an hour so you can really sink your teeth in?
  • rwolfenden
    rwolfenden Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this-I felt like I was a bottomless pit yesterday! I feel hungrier since I've been EBF than I was when I was pregnant. What I find helps me is drinking lots of fluids (mostly water) and eating high-volume food like soups (love gazpacho this time of year), salads, fruits, popcorn, etc. I also usually have a glass of water or herbal tea whenever I sit down to nurse, and a snack too.
    Feel free to add me!
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think the key for all of us is to make sure you don't get TOO hungry. I will put whatever I possibly can in my body if I start feeling *starving*.

Also...remember you can pick a bunch of low-cal foods and scarf away. I always keep cucumbers. That way, if I eat 2 of them and it's totally not what I wanted, at least there's something more in my belly taking up space making less room for what I put in next.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Oooo! I should add that hot beverages work for me, too.

I usually drink a fenugreek tea (mother's milk from traditional medicinals) and that helps--as it's both hot and fenugreek is an appetite suppressant. Also, it helps the milk supply! :)
  • Frauhammie
    Frauhammie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it and will definitely use your suggestions!
    @cutmd, the weight gain has happened over the past 3 weeks. Our health insurance at my job requires us to set a health goal every year and mine is to lose 5 lbs (i picked an easy number because if we don't succeed we pay hefty deductibles). I have to send them a photo of my weight every month so I guess that is added stress!
    I am very good during the day and just binge at night, I do need to make better food choices.
    I have always loved to exercise but my husband is so busy working and traveling that I am basically alone with my girls after I come home from work. Last night I was able to squeeze in a Denise Austin workout so I am happy about that. I just need to prioritize exercise over housework sometimes.
    Thanks again, I am new to this group and am glad I found it!