Introduce Yourself

Options
hotpickles
hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
Let's get to know each other!

I'm Lynn, 33 years old and from Toronto, Ontario. I'm currently in the middle of a job hunt, an area that has been weighing heavily on my mind. After spending the last few days worrying about it, I decided to keep my head up, keep trying, and never give up! I figure there's lots of others out there just like me, or who may be struggling in another area of their lives. I thought this group would be a good way to motivate each other.

I'm also recovering from an injured hand, which has prevented me from not only actively searching for a job, but getting into a workout routine. I've been walking, and I'm going to start running again. It will be a few weeks before I can do anything else such as weight lifting. I'd really like to be able to run a 5K again, and I'm getting a little more curious about trying yoga.

As far as some of my short-term goals go, I'd really like to develop a consistent routine for certain things. I think a lot of what I don't do boils down to sheer laziness. For example, I know I should moisturize every day, I should drink more water, I should not procrastinate as much as I do. I need to start doing (and not doing) some of these things!

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone!

L.

Replies

• LilD1esel
    LilD1esel Posts: 9
    Options
    I just read your post, and it struck a chord with me. I recently went through a period of job hunting and trying to get back into my workout routine. I, too, have been going through the thinking about and talking about rather than doing things. I know all of the right things to do, but I just have not been doing them. It's interesting to find others dealing with the same feelings. I'm not sure if it's so much laziness as it is not treating one's self well (in my case). I think sometimes you get stuck in a period of time when things aren't going well, and you start feeling down about yourself, and you just being treating yourself with neglect rather than love. Or, that's the way it has been for me. I think your short time goal of developing a consistent routine is a very good starting point, and I have been working on that myself.
  • joeavalos1949
    Options
    My name is Joe I'm a retired fire rescue Lieut. I'm 62 years old. 

I started  the diet 17 days ago on 1200 calories. Ive lost  6 pounds in two weeks. This week I raised my calorie goal to 1500. I need a group for support so I thought I'd check in. I think this program is  great,  being able to count my calories on the iPhone app, for me is very motivational. 

I have a tendency to try to do everything myself, But I know that doesn't  work well especially with diets. 

My goal is to lose thirty pounds by whenever, by changing the way I eat one day at a time, using this great app and new friends to get there.

Sent from my iPhone
  • andilee1976
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Andrea and I'm just totally lost where to get started to lose the incredible amount of weight I need to lose. I could rattle off a list of the things I should be doing but where to start? And how to stick with it? I'm a divorced, single mom of 2 preschool boys, working 2 jobs & going to school. I'd like to stop living my life in survival mode and have the energy to truly enjoy and LIVE my life!! I have never been this over weight or out of shape in my life. Eager to read tips and have support!
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jodie & I have been using MFP since Nov last 2011, I've lost 15kg (34lbs ?) so far which is basically my half way point. I too was sick of being physically tired all of the time. My weight has been up & down for so long, I've tried ww, meal replacements etc but could never stick to anything. When I first logged onto MFP I pretty much just used it to see how many calories etc were in the foods that I was eating & getting a feel for what I could change. I also never refer to my eating as a diet, this is a way of life for me, a healthier life its just how I eat. I haven't cut anything out, just reduced portiions so if I have toast I'll have 1 slice instead of 2 & I've started having wraps instead of sandwiches & increased how much water I drink. The water is a big thing for me, I really notice the difference if I haven't had enough. Chocolate is my weakness & if I really really crave it then I'll have some but now I can stop at a small amount instead of eating the entire block lol. Sometimes just to get a taste of what I crave is enough & if i over do it my stomach lets me know all about it! I've currently stalled & the scale seems to be stuck... so i really need to get my butt back into gear to change that. I've even started running.. well it's more like a shuffle lol but somthing I never thought I would ever do.

The one thing that helped me to start with was to drink water whenever I felt hungry because chances were that I was thirsty not hungry. I would also drink a glass of water before eating, the water fills you up & prevents you from over eating.

Sorry I seem to have rambled on lol. Good luck to you all & feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • goldencoley
    goldencoley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    HI All! I am new to MFP and am looking for a group of like-minded individuals to keep up the motivation on my life changing journey! I've struggled wih weight fluctuations my whole life and have never felt that I was as healthy as I should be. Diabetes and obesity run fairly common in my family and I am determined to do whatever I can not to let my genes control my life! Last year I decided to start a running program because my asthma had gotten really bad so I thought it was time to push my lungs to the limit and start getting them stronger!! Yoga has really helped with that also :) After running the Reno Tahoe Odyssey this last June and feeling stronger than I have ever felt... I stopped working out completely! Granted, I know it's only been 2 months but it feels awful and I need to kick it into gear again. This time for good! No more excuses, no more eating because it sounds good, no more giving up half way through... I am in this for the long haul and hope you all are just as excited as me to see some results!

Thanks for starting a group that sounded exactly like something I needed to hear :)
  • hotpickles
    Options
    Hello everyone!

So good to "meet" everyone here! Sounds like we are all similar in so many ways. I'm looking forward to this journey!

L.
  • hotpickles
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Andrea and I'm just totally lost where to get started to lose the incredible amount of weight I need to lose. I could rattle off a list of the things I should be doing but where to start? And how to stick with it? I'm a divorced, single mom of 2 preschool boys, working 2 jobs & going to school. I'd like to stop living my life in survival mode and have the energy to truly enjoy and LIVE my life!! I have never been this over weight or out of shape in my life. Eager to read tips and have support!

Your post reminds me so much of a friend from my hometown. Her situation is very similar to yours in the sense she has two boys, was working a day job and sometimes a midnight shift and trying to go back to school. If I could remember any one thing from her, it would have to be the fact she enjoyed every second she had with her boys. I remember the three of them were always together doing something, whether it be an outdoor activity or a trip somewhere. I know she drew her strength from her boys!

Maybe you can incorporate time with your boys with some exercise? I know two things for certain - the first is that when you are starting to exercise, it's good to start off slowly and gradually build your way up, and secondly, boys have lots of energy! You could do some bike rides, trail walks, play some soccer, etc.

Glad to have you here!

L.
  • skinnycyn83
    Options
    Hola!

My name is Cynthia and I'm 29. I live in the DFW (Texas) area and I've been married for 9 years (this Oct). We have a wonderful 2 1/2 year old son, I'm a stay at home mom and overweight. :tongue:

My husband and I have worked since we were legally able to and now that I can't, it's a little hard for me to keep our life really active. My son keeps me on my toes, but sometimes, we just sit in his room and watch movies all day long. We started Insanity Monday and eating healthy because we don't want our son to follow in our footsteps. We both come from Mexican families that have since passed on Diabetes, high blood pressure, laziness, ect. I want it to stop with us! Before I got pregnant, I was at my lowest weight EVER due to being a Vegan and help from Phentermine. I want that back!!!!!! We both do!

I hope that we can help each other with whatever life brings us!