Medication

Options
Hi

I have just joined this group and only been on the site a week.

I am on Gabapentin for chronic pain - congenital club feet, severe arthritis in all joints etc. etc. Medication makes me hungry and disabilities mean I am unable to exercise. Finding it difficult to lose weight but know it would help if I could. Anyone out there with similar problems and if so any advice would be appreciated.

Had triple artherodesis couple of years ago which left me with nerve damage which hasn't helped.

Not moaning honestly - just want to know I am not alone.

Dawn aka Hoppy:wink:

Replies

• NinjaBeth90
    Options
    Hi Dawn,

Your not alone! - I know the feeling. I have arthritis in my knees, hyper-mobility and currently under neurology. My medication gives me the munchies and more often than its not its difficult enough just trying to walk round the house or work let alone exercise. Lately i'd got a bit better, out of the wheelchair and able to least take my puppy on walks however suffered a set back this week so no walks for me at the moment. But hoping to be back on my feet asap.

I'm new too, only joined MFP on Monday but I'm really looking forward to losing this weight, I'm sure my knees will be relieved :)

Beth
  • yenyarooiam
    yenyarooiam Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your not alone I take the same nerve pills I know hunger filling I started eating an apple , cut up veggies fill you up and keep you that way
    As far as excerzise try a water class at the YWCA the water take pressure off your joints and body that way you can build up strength and endurance help you on your way to your weightloss goals
    If theres not YWCA or YMCA do an internet serch for your area try finding a water class trust me youll be glad you did
    You could also look for a gym that has tonning tables they help you build muscle without adding stress to your body
    I would start there
    I would start there and as your body gets stronger youll find you can start to do more
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Im on Gabapentin too for my Arthritis! - it sent me proper hyper for the first few days, but yes i often get real pit of the tummy munchies :ohwell: Im also on Co-Codamol, peroxitine (aka prozac) Omeprazole... :grumble:

I have started at pretty much the same point as you with the amount i need to lose - you get stuck in that pain/exercise/weight vicious cycle. it all feels so hopeless at times. but even if its just a couple of minutes a day, its better than nowt, and building up that couple of minutes to something more is the way to go :wink:

Feel free to add me :happy:
  • LisaEileen
    LisaEileen Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I took Lyrica a few years ago and gained about 30 pounds. My hands and feet were so swollen that they hurt. I tried several other meds before that and didn't like the side effects. So, now, the only pain meds I'm on is Tramadol and Meloxicam. Some days, they don't hardly touch the pain. But, I have learned a lot of mind over matter in the past 7 months. I refuse to give into the pain unless it's just so bad I simply can't take it a second longer. I spent the past 15 years in pain and whining about it and I let a lot of life pass me by.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on joining MFP! Just you joining and reaching out here is a step towards improving your health and your life. Good for you!!! You're not alone and in you're in the right place.

I have several conditions that bring me chronic pain, fatigue, numbness, etc. I've tried and dumped various prescription meds, mostly because of the terrible side effects and that the drowsiness and lethargy from them kept me from functioning. It's been a long, slow road up and down to get to where I am now, steadily losing weight and functioning the best I have in many years. I still have days where the pain and fatigue rules but not nearly as many and my morale is in the clouds compared to the pits where I started. So I can tell you it's true that starting right where you are and taking small steps will get you where you want to go. Get yourself some positive friends here and get going doing whatever you're able. With patience, persistence and your friends cheer leading you, you're going to make it!

Instead of heavy pain meds, I use a combination of clean diet, rest, meditation, Reiki, ice, hot baths with Epsom Salts, chiropractic care, and over the counter meds like extra strength Tylenol and anything else I can find that works without compromising my mind and my ability to function. I still live with some pain but I find that keeping my focus on interesting, rewarding, positive things plus moving as much as I can tolerate on a given day keeps me functioning and improving. I also read a lot about how to reduce inflammation and science is clear that diet has a lot to do with it. I recommend the documentary "Forks Over Knives" to you which I got from my local public library.

Continue to be brave and jump on in!

Best wishes,
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've just come off tramadol and amitriptyline as they were doing nothing for the pain, and making me feel bleurgh. I did have accupuncture on the NHS (YAY!) which did work. but it was stopped.

I'm on metformin, which makes me feel like I need to eat more, combined with pizotifen, which seems to result in me never feeling full. I could eat until I'm ready to burst, and would feel like I had nothing in five minutes.

I'm trying to make sure I'm eating enough healthy things. I don't like eating when I'm not hungry, so meal times are a bit artificial.
  • VickyFine
    Options
    You are not alone. I am not complaining but just stating facts. I think this is a safe site for use to share our lives. I have taken almost everything the doctors can think of and either they don't work or I can't handle the side effects. I have also tried acupuncture and cortisone injections with little help. I have had two spinal stenosis surgeries on my back and have arthritis in my feet, knees, and hands. It isn't fun. I walk w' a cane or walker. I do have a recumbent stationary bike that I use. I am on morphine 15 mg X3 now and do not like the side effects but it does take the edge off. I am looking into spinal decompression, inversion boards, and sarpin injections. Has anyone used any of these? If so did it help?