RX or faster time?

Options
Tsoper
Tsoper Posts: 12 Member
I need some opinions & hopefully I’m not repeating a post. I have been battling this question for the last few weeks....which is a better workout: 1. Work to Rx a WOD but take a good bit of additional time or 2. Modify the WOD & be able to push through in a shorter time? I am getting to the point where I can do most of the Rx standards (20'' box, pushups on toes etc...), but I'm still struggling on a few moves (pull-ups & double unders). I see benefits in both, but would like to see how others approach.

Replies

• aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Funny I actually had this same conversation with my coach the other day... I'm training for a competition where I already know I can lift the weights required in my division but the cardio is my issue. I'm starting to RX WODs more and more but I'm slow because of lack of endurance.

From her standpoint she told that it's based on what your specific goal is.
    1) If your goal is to increase cardio/endurance then it would be better to decrease weights, not RX but go for a more consistent WOD where there aren't too many breaks to rest. She didn't use the phrase "shorter time" mainly because this is usually associated with doing the movements faster and can lead to poor form.

2) If your goal is to increase weights (with good form) and getting stronger then RXing would be beneficial with a longer time would be beneficial.

To me it also as to do with self improvement. I am just now getting double unders, so while it would be easier (and less painful... does anyone else smack themselves so hard with the rope when they miss that it leaves marks?) to switch to the increase reps in singles, I know I need to get better on double unders so I normally just push through.

Good luck!!
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    What She^ said.

Personally, I do every workout as Rx'ed, unless it includes Powerlifting/Olympic at a weight that I can barely do. I do Short Complex at 95 lbs (Rx'ed for guys) and it takes me about an hour. I've seen guys bigger than me do it at 65 and it takes them 45 minutes. Because its a tough weight, my HR is up plenty, so I'm not worried about the longer time.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Funny I actually had this same conversation with my coach the other day... I'm training for a competition where I already know I can lift the weights required in my division but the cardio is my issue. I'm starting to RX WODs more and more but I'm slow because of lack of endurance.

From her standpoint she told that it's based on what your specific goal is.
    1) If your goal is to increase cardio/endurance then it would be better to decrease weights, not RX but go for a more consistent WOD where there aren't too many breaks to rest. She didn't use the phrase "shorter time" mainly because this is usually associated with doing the movements faster and can lead to poor form.

2) If your goal is to increase weights (with good form) and getting stronger then RXing would be beneficial with a longer time would be beneficial.

To me it also as to do with self improvement. I am just now getting double unders, so while it would be easier (and less painful... does anyone else smack themselves so hard with the rope when they miss that it leaves marks?) to switch to the increase reps in singles, I know I need to get better on double unders so I normally just push through.

Good luck!!

What she said! If I find that I'm struggling with a certain exercise (but I can still technically do it) I'll scale it down to get the most out of a workout. Definitely depends on your goals.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My box sent out this article the other day about scaling. It is actually a very good article and well worth the read!

https://www.againfaster.com/en/blog/2012/01/13/zatsiorsky-scaling-and-power/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=scaling&utm_campaign=article
  • Tsoper
    Tsoper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the reply! I think for now I'm going to focus on endurance for the next few weeks & hopefully that will help me to Rx future WODs. I have been scaling the weights and it seems to help the mental battle I have with some workouts. I'm going to check out the article you suggested right now!
  • BigPapaGato
    BigPapaGato Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My box sent out this article the other day about scaling. It is actually a very good article and well worth the read!

https://www.againfaster.com/en/blog/2012/01/13/zatsiorsky-scaling-and-power/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=scaling&utm_campaign=article

great article, im going to give this a try
  • blinkinglight
    Options
    If I was super worried about time, I would have never tried pull ups without a band in a WOD. Yes, I sucked at it the first several times and my time suffered, but now I'm much better at pull ups and always do them RX'd. :)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is different depending on the exercise. I wouldn't push yourself to Rx on olympic lifts until your form is really solid and you are comfortable. On the otherhand I think that substituting singles for double-unders unless you literally can't do them is a bit of a cop out and you'll never get them if you don't practice (plus you can always scale during the WOD). You have to ask yourself why you want to scale. If it is for safety, true inability or technique then I think that's legitimate. If its because you can't stand being behind everyone else then its not a good enough reason...