a little about me...

Options
hello mfp members! i just joined on tuesday so i know i have a LONG road ahead of me! my current weight loss goal is 72 pounds with the ultimate goal of a baby :) i have a 5 year old daughter who was concieved naturally and after i gave birth i had an iud put in, with the thought that my husband and i would not try for our next child for 3 years or so. and wow was i wrong! about a year and a half after i had my iud placed, i had it taken out. my husband and i have been ttc for 4 years. i was diagnosed with pcos about a year after my iud was removed and my dr didnt seem very aggresive toward treatment. i dont even remember her really explaining what pcos is... i finally asked her for a referral to an obgyn who completed lab work and started me on metformin 500mg. to make a long story short... i had ovarian drilling done in jan of this year, my metformin was increased to 1000mg and started a 3 month cycle of clomid in feb. at my follow up in may my obgyns exact words were "the only thing i want you to do for the next 3 months is get pregnant" and i wanted to slap the lady!! hello... dont you think thats what has been on my mind for the past 4 years!!! ugh... our next step is to see an RE, but i would like to lose some weight and keep trying before we consider IVF. i have tried dieting a few times before but as the pounds continued to accumulate it just became more difficult to put in any effort. as my husband says, this time "i'm in it to win it!" i have a lot of support from him with my weight loss goal (obviously, who wouldnt want a skinny sexy wife?) but am looking for some support from women in a situation like mine :)

Replies

• sarahcgood
    Options
    I am in this situation also...my gyno tried clomid with me for five months no luck been TTC for 2 years now. Am trying to lose about as much as you are and I just started last week. Good luck... I know how hard it is and discouraging at times.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I also have a 5 year old daughter! She was conceived naturally with no help. Now, we have been trying for seven months, no luck. I know that's not that long but I also haven't had a period since January. I am taking 2000 mg Metformin (it was just increased). We have decided not to do any fertility assistance so I am just trying to lose the extra weight to see if that helps. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.

Miranda
  • ShannonJohnson
    ShannonJohnson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We have been trying for about a year and a half now. Found out last June I have PCOS after being on BC pills since I was 16, don't know how long i have had this but I feel it was when I turned about 20/21 years old. Last July I started Metformin and that cleared out the cysts and from August to end of September we did 3 rounds of clomid, didn't even get the chance to try cause on my U/Ss they could not see any follicles maturing. That is when they sent me to a RE and we tried IUI, didn't work for me cause of the PCOS, it was too hard to get just one or two follicles to mature. There would either be too many cause of the PCOS or else they would die off before getting mature cause of going at a slower rate to avoid too many. This spring we tried IVF, out of 23 eggs they retrieved only 4 made it to embryo stage and in the end only 1 made it to a good embryo so we transfered that but did not have luck.
    So I'm trying to lose some weight as well to see if we can do it the natural way. I am just taking Metformin and Maca supplements to regulate my cycle, I started taking my temp this week to see if I can chart any ovulation. It would be great to be able to get pregnant on my own but if not we will try again with IVF in the fall. Good luck to you and keep us posted on things.