College of Education at U of I?

Kennkaru
Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
I graduated from Luther College in 2008 with a double major in English and Philosophy, intending to immediately go on to graduate school to acquire both a Master's degree and a teaching certification.

When my student loan bills started coming in, I re-thought my strategy and figured I'd ought to get out in the working world for a while and pay down some of my debt. One thing lead to another and I didn't end up starting my Master's until last summer. I chose an online program so I could continue to work, thinking that the best option.

I'm here to tell you that it isn't. Seriously... go to a real, tangible school. I know online classes are convenient, but you are going to get one seriously half-assed experience at best, and a nightmare at worst. I've spent the last year dealing with problem after problem... having to re-take entire classes because things were lost, mis-graded, or because expectations weren't properly communicated.

Anyway, long-story-short, I'm going to enroll at the University of Iowa in the spring to continue my education. Has anyone here been involved with the college of education at Iowa? I know it's a reputable program, and from what I've read, it should be perfect for me. Does anyone have suggestions for professors to seek out, and which to avoid? My program will be a combination of graduate and undergraduate courses since I'm also seeking teacher certification. Any other advice for an incoming Iowa student?

I'm 26 years old, so it won't exactly be the "freshman experience," and I'm certainly not planning on gaining a freshman 15.

Replies

• Kennkaru
    Bump.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    There are not too many people who are actually active in the Iowa group so sometimes it takes quite a while to get a response. I can not provide much advice as I attended a different college and was in a different field, but I will say best of luck, Iowa is a great school and going to school to become a teacher is a very noble career choice!
  • I majored in journalism so I can't help you on the College of Education front, but Iowa City is awesome, so don't worry about that part. There are some great places to eat downtown, including several that are MFP-friendly (New Pioneer Co-Op, Bread Garden, Heirloom, and others).
  • Kennkaru
    Thanks! I am certainly open to everyone's general "Iowa City" recommendations as well as any comments on the University itself, and/or the College of Education.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Like you, I thought it was a good idea to work and pay down some of my undergraduate student debt. Unlike you, life intervened and it took me almost twenty years to go back for my masters. My masters is in Rehabilitation Counseling, which is counseling to help people with disabilities get their life back. The classes were all at the College of Education, many were classes that the school counselor students took too. I was there in the 90s, so I don't know if any of my recommends would help. I do know that the college has a good reputation. For me it wasn't very challenging and I did not feel I learned a lot, but I have a BA from the University of Chicago (one of the most intellectually rigorous schools in the country) and had twenty years of self education and experience. I am sure for you it will be a much more rewarding experience. Good luck!