Does anyone count calories and not carbs/ sugar?

I've been doing south beach, but I miss some foods in moderation. I am curious if anyone has had success losing weight by counting Just calories without worrying about sugars or carbs as long as you stay in your calorie range. Thank you!

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    did nothing but gain for 20 years with a few exceptions. At one point I spent a whole year working out at the gym 5 days a week, and counting calories. though I lost 3 pounds in the first month I was killing myself just to stay the same size, until I ate like I was a diabetic. no southbeach, no atkins just plain old diabetic carb counting.
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    @minkakross. How many carbs a day do you allow yourself on the diabetic diet. I was borderline dianetic and have a diabetic co-worker that does not count her carbs. I was wondering how much is allowed on that regime. My Dr has me on a lower carb diet but not as low as Atkins. She would like me to count calories as well but I have to stick to one at a time. Once I "master" the carbs I will go to work on the calories. She wants me at 1976. I rearely get that low. I normally hoover around 2200-2600. My calories tend to be higher during the week and lower on the weekend.
  • Thank you for your response. Do you know of a good website or book that could help me understand how you cout carbs? I'm new to this and I really don't know what else to do. I've lost a little on south beach, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thanks again!
  • ssb179
    ssb179 Posts: 3
    I'm trying the calorie counting this time but just started and I don't know yet how well it will work.

The very best result I ever had with losing weight was when WW had a program where you did not count Points but there were limits on simple carbs. You could still have one small baked potato daily as an example, but no white bread. I think it worked because we still had flex points that could be used for fruit or even small amounts of sugar. I don't know why they discontinued it but I sure wish I had kept my materials!

I would love to hear any tips that are working for you!
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    PCOS and insulin resistance often go hand in hand, so managing (not eliminating) carbs is very important in order to diet successfully. I don't 'count' carbs but I just set my default nutrition goals in mfp to 40% carbs and just let mpf track it for me. I have some low gi carbs at breakfast, and a few at lunch, not so much at dinner, and this usually puts me bang on my 40%. Good low gi carbs early, prevent late night binging on high gi carbs. :-)
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    @tlove2teach:

These two books helped me a TON with the low GI eating. This one goes into how PCOS and low GI eating work: http://www.amazon.com/Glucose-Revolution-Guide-Living-ebook/dp/B001F0RLSS

This one is more just about how to eat on a low GI diet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0600615057/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Hope that helps you out! :smile:
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    @minkakross. How many carbs a day do you allow yourself on the diabetic diet. I was borderline dianetic and have a diabetic co-worker that does not count her carbs. I was wondering how much is allowed on that regime. My Dr has me on a lower carb diet but not as low as Atkins. She would like me to count calories as well but I have to stick to one at a time. Once I "master" the carbs I will go to work on the calories. She wants me at 1976. I rearely get that low. I normally hoover around 2200-2600. My calories tend to be higher during the week and lower on the weekend.

I found that I most insulin resistant in the morning and after some experimenting with food and my glucose meter My doctor and I settled on 15g Breakfast, 15-30 grams for lunch up to 45 grams for dinner all snacks were limited to 15g. There are women with PCOS who get pretty even blood sugar just with medication alone but I was not one of them. I ate 1200 calories mostly protein and the scale started moving but much like the symptoms of PCOS can vary from woman to woman my way isn't necessarily the best way for you, but I do recommend getting a cheap glucose meter and checking your blood sugar after fasting, and 2 hours after meals until you know your pattern and how much your blood sugar is really affected by what you eat and how much of it is your PCOS.