Are salaries too high for athletes?

Options
2»

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'd say they earn their money, by increasing revenues and employment and manufacturing and myriad other things. And far more than a CEO who works one year then takes a golden parachute to retirement, or manages a failing company.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I think what's even more disturbing is the fact that after the athletes make all that money, a large percentage end up broke when they retire. I've always wondered what the inner cities would look like if all professional athletes decided to donate 10% of their wealth to educating impoverished communities and opening businesses in those communities to help out.

Why restrict that to just athletes? Why should they be any more obligated to be better people than anyone else?

I'm not restricting it, but it is a reality that many if not most athletes come from impoverished circumstances and know what those communities go through. People usually gravitate to the evil they know. People get Parkinsons, they do charity for parkinsons. Family member gets AIDS, they crusade for the cure. Cancer walks, ect.

I know what you are saying and it does represent a worthy ideal. While I don't think that athletes or successful people are entitled to special privileges, I don't expect higher levels of moral behavior from them either. I think that being fortunate with money carries an obligation to have an appreciation for your good fortune, but I don't know that it obliges someone to be a better person.

I don't know whether it's just cynicism or my own definition of "equality".

Maybe I'm just being naive. It's probably easy to day dream what we would do as multi-millionaires, but once the average joe gets stinking rich, who knows what they would do with it.

Ever seen that show Toddlers in Tiaras? It's like a blueprint for what stupid people do when they get their hands on too much money.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    its supply and demand. how many people in the world can play QB as well as Brees? 3? 4? how many people can be a fireman, police etc...? lots

they charge 200 for tix because people will pay it.
    How many people can be President of the United States? Far fewer than can play football. But if the POTUS (not talking political parties here. I mean ANY POTUS) made $100,000,000 people would have a fit.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    its supply and demand. how many people in the world can play QB as well as Brees? 3? 4? how many people can be a fireman, police etc...? lots

How many people can be President of the United States? Far fewer than can play football. But if the POTUS (not talking political parties here. I mean ANY POTUS) made $100,000,000 people would have a fit.

Very true, and I think they are woefully underpaid for what they do. But Americans would throw a fit if the president earned a salary commensurate with what he actually does. $250k is not NEARLY enough for all the stress of the entire nation.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    The position of President is a service position, not entertainment.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    The position of President is a service position, not entertainment.
    So it's even MORE important then. We NEED a President. We don't need professional sports teams.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

government workers aren't subject to the same market factors as the private sector. and lets not kid ourselves...the president gets a lot more than just his yearly salary. he gets staff, secret service etc....for a long time after office and they make millions in their post presidency career.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    So it's even MORE important then. We NEED a President. We don't need professional sports teams.
    We are the ones who drive up their salaries. Some of these athletes are insanely talented! And I could argue that society does NEED entertainment. I just don't like the thought of the athletes being used by the owners and te leagues to get rich and then only receiving mediocre salaries themselves.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    We are the ones who drive up their salaries. Some of these athletes are insanely talented! And I could argue that society does NEED entertainment. I just don't like the thought of the athletes being used by the owners and te leagues to get rich and then only receiving mediocre salaries themselves.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8163701/sources-drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-agree-record-contract

Does it disgust anyone else that athletes are signing $100 million dollar contracts when police, firemen and military members put their lives on the line for citizens and struggle? Doesn't that speak loudly about our priorities?

Not to mention they make up for these salaries by charging $200 a ticket for a football game..

If people didn't pay $200 for those tickets and if revenue from ad sales because people watch sports so much, athletes would not sign $100 million contracts.

Police and firefighters get paid by tax dollars. Apples and oranges.
  • chrisrollins1
    Options
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8163701/sources-drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-agree-record-contract

Does it disgust anyone else that athletes are signing $100 million dollar contracts when police, firemen and military members put their lives on the line for citizens and struggle? Doesn't that speak loudly about our priorities?

Not to mention they make up for these salaries by charging $200 a ticket for a football game..

If people didn't pay $200 for those tickets and if revenue from ad sales because people watch sports so much, athletes would not sign $100 million contracts.

Police and firefighters get paid by tax dollars. Apples and oranges.

Agreed. Furthermore, I'm in the military, and have worked in law enforcement as well. Would I like to be paid more? Sure! Who wouldn't? But I knew of the risks and compensation involved before I joined.

The amount of money pro-athletes make is of little concern to me. In America, you have a .00565% chance of becoming one. That's one half of one thousandth of one percent. And the chance of becoming an all star and/or being awarded one of those 100 million dollar contracts is FAR less than that. People have paid to watch high-level athletes for centuries. Competition is in our nature, and as long as people will pay to watch, athletes will get paid to play. If you're the best of the best, good for you.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Of course they should. The franchises they play for are worth hundreds of millions, and in some cases, billions of dollars: http://www.therichest.org/sports/most-valuable-nfl-teams/

Funny, I never hear anyone asking if the owners are making too much money.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this topic came back up. I'm seeing lots of people here who don't think that athletes make too much, but are constantly complaining about CEO's and Boards of Directors of private companies (the 1%) making too much money...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this topic came back up. I'm seeing lots of people here who don't think that athletes make too much, but are constantly complaining about CEO's and Boards of Directors of private companies (the 1%) making too much money...

I have no problem with either, personally. I could make a lot more money if I wanted to work a lot more hours than I do. Find me a CEO who comes to work at 6:30, gets an hour lunch and leaves for the day (and leaves work at work!) by 3:30 p.m. AND gets weekends to him or herself, then I'll complain about it. But I honestly don't want to trade my freedom for money. I made a choice in profession and they made a choice in profession.

And people rarely complain about what movie stars make, either.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Of course they make too much money, but if you are willing to spend 9 dollars on a beer at a sporting event and $80 for a jersey, they will continue to make the big bucks.

I don't really care if they do, though. If I had some highly sought after talent, I'd get the most out of it that I can. Unfortunatel, just being good-looking is n't working.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I have no problem with either, personally. I could make a lot more money if I wanted to work a lot more hours than I do. Find me a CEO who comes to work at 6:30, gets an hour lunch and leaves for the day (and leaves work at work!) by 3:30 p.m. AND gets weekends to him or herself, then I'll complain about it. But I honestly don't want to trade my freedom for money. I made a choice in profession and they made a choice in profession.

Good point. I support working hard to make money. I'm all for people's freedom to do what they want with their lives. But after seeing discussions here about redistrubituing weath, I highly doubt a pro-quarterback is going to be ok with that.
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Good point. I support working hard to make money. I'm all for people's freedom to do what they want with their lives. But after seeing discussions here about redistrubituing weath, I highly doubt a pro-quarterback is going to be ok with that.

Why not? I mean I expect some wouldn't and some would, and still tohers wouldn't care, just as in any other top paying positions? I expect no real difference in the variety of opinions from quarterbacks vs. whoever
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options

What saddens me is how upside down and inside out modern priorities are in regards to value. This is like my aunties (may they rest in piece) good furniture. We'd visit and either have to sit on plastic covered couches and stuffed chairs or else were herded into the den where the worn furniture was placed and could be used. No one sat on the plastic covered "good" furniture because it was stupid, yet those pieces were valued more on the market than the furniture that actually got used to rest our weary bodies!!!

Besides the problem with ticket prices of professional sports, my biggest problem is all the members on a roster who don't play hardly at all (sit on the bench most of season) but still rake in a minimum of $250,000 a year (in football anyway). See the article below. It's like my aunties (RIP) useless plastic wrapped furniture that everyone hated and made fun of. The NFL and other like them will soon price their tickets out of range for most but the elite. NBC reports that since 2007 attendance at games has steadily declined. No wonder!

I prefer my sports where the participants have to pay their own dues and fees, and where playing well means more than money (like roller derby and USAA swimming). I also prefer my people and items of value to be useful and utilitarian - not just for show and occassional display.

Average Salary
    • For 2009, the median salary across the NFL is approximately $1.4 million per year. Quarterbacks lead the pack, earning close to $2 million per year, followed by defensive ends at $1.5 million and offensive linemen at $1.2 million. Tight ends had the lowest average salary, at approximately $850,000 per year.

(from: http://www.ehow.com/facts_4927175_money-does-nfl-player-year.html

-Debra
    )