Morning runs

Options
carolinedb
carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
Because of the heat and my work schedule, I'm going to have to commit to training in the morning. Unfortunately, I hate mornings. Anyone have any good tips they use to motivate themselves to get up at the booty crack of dawn and run?

Replies

• taureanbuddhist
    taureanbuddhist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I find that the only way to committ to morning runs is to run with a partner...the 'accountability' factor gets me up and out the door more times than I can count...

This happened to me this morning...I didnt eat well last night at the ball game and was dreading my run, my workout partner didn't let me back out and I was happy after our run that I went:)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    meeting someone is always a good motivator.

Beyond that, I try to give myself about 10 min to slowly wake up. Everything is all set out so I don't have to think. In those 10 min, you convince yourself to get up and that waiting is going to make it worse. I never regret doing a run. I always regret skipping one.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I write my training schedule on a calendar where the family can see it... Having upcoming races really helps too, as I can remind myself about staying on track. I've also done a couple of really late runs when I missed the morning one, for me, that really helped as I find in spite of not wanting to get out of bed, my morning runs are much easier!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I love morning runs. Always good to know you've accomplished more than most people will all day by the time they wake up. That said when I started training in the morning I had to put my alarm clock on the other side of the room so it forced me to get out of bed to turn it off.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If mornings do not workout. Run at night. I moved my run until after 830pm. I run/jog/walk 90min. Living with the Florida heat.:smile:
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I love my morning run! My husband however is not as motivated as I am, SO, I am the one dragging him out of bed in the morning, getting him to eat/drink something and then head out the door. It was hot this morning at 7:00 (we were heading out a little later than usual) 80 degrees and 94% humidity and that made our 7 miles a little uncomfortable. The earlier the better in my book!
  • jocamaria
    jocamaria Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love my morning runs. I lay out my clothes the night before so it's one less thing to do in the morning. I allow myself to hit the snooze button only once. The second time the alarm goes off I just get my clothes on before I can talk myself out of it. The best thing about a morning run, is that when it's done, you feel awesome. You have so much more energy for the rest of the day.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I just get up and go. Clothes all ready the night before and as soon as I get out of bed I put my workout gear on, then I'm ready to go before I have time to think about whether I want to or not.
    Usually (when my husband isn't away) I'll have a fruit snack and some coffee with him, then I'm out of the door as soon as he drive away.

I find that exercising in the morning is fantastic because it gives me lots of energy (endorphins probably) for the day ahead.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have an engraved ring that says: This choice is who you are. I love being the person who gets up and runs before most people are out of bed.
  • Kona2014
    Kona2014 Posts: 38
    Options
    I set my alarm for 5 am and I'm out the door by 5.15 am. It's the only way I can get my run in as work usually overruns and I'm too tired/hungry to make myself go out in the evening on a weekday! Lay all your clothes/watch etc out the night before so you don't have to think. It's worth it.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love morning runs... when my schedule permits. I even set my alarm for 4am on Saturday AMs to run with a group at 5!!!

It is tough to get out there early, but you just have to do it... you'll feel great all day. I have to ensure ALL my stuff is ready to go before I go to bed.... clothes, shoes, music, etc.

The biggest motivator for me is to run with others. We have a local running group here that meets a few times during the week, as well as Saturday. Accountability is needed.... and when running with someone, you HAVE to be there!!!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person either, but had to switch to mornings when summer hit. I just visualize and get myself excited about the run the day before. It helps me just jump out of bed on running days - no arguing with myself. It would not work if I ran every day though - I run 3 times a week. I also know how awesome I feel getting that run in first thing.

I am looking forward to late afternoon runs when winter hits, though!

Edit: I second having everything ready to go the night before. On my weekend runs, sometimes I crawl back into bed after I run for a little bit too (after showering of course).
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    meeting someone is always a good motivator.

Beyond that, I try to give myself about 10 min to slowly wake up. Everything is all set out so I don't have to think. In those 10 min, you convince yourself to get up and that waiting is going to make it worse. I never regret doing a run. I always regret skipping one.

I set everything out the night before also, but as far as waking up I'm the opposite. I try to just roll out of bed, put my clothes on and get out the door before my brain realizes what I'm doing. If I take time to think about it, I'll talk myself into trying to get in a run after work, which never works at the end of the day.
    Just try a variety of things and find what works for you.
  • jlshaw77
    jlshaw77 Posts: 23
    Options
    I am not a morning person either but like others have said, it is a great feeling to get up and get it done and its not hanging over your head the rest of the day. I also lay out clothes the night before and try to just get up and go and by the time I'm awake, I'm almost done anyway.

The main thing I have to add is that if you can motivate yourself to stick with it, you get used to getting up and start to enjoy it.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    it's hard to do, and i can only echo what others say.

for me, it comes down to how badly i want to achieve my goal. my goal is the marathon, and i want to do better than i did last time. i can't run at night (as soon as i get home from work i spend time with the kids, have dinner, and i'm about ready for bed). so my only choice is to get up at 0430hrs and run before work. i organise everything the night before, then as soon as my alarm goes off i'm up, dressed and out of the door before my brain has a chance to argue with me! but only for the shorter runs- i save my long runs for a day off.

it's easier once you get into a pattern. and you realise that it won't kill you.
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    wear your entire running outfit (down to the socks) to bed and then when you get up you only need to put shoes on and go.

Also, get a partner who keeps kicking you until you get up :D
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have to run before I can give myself time to think about what the hell I'm actually doing. So, I wake up at 6 and go out before I even take my morning shower. It sucks, but when I get back I feel awesome! If I didn't go, I'd feel like a lazy *kitten* all day, and that would suck even worse than getting up early.

Also, I can't eat before I run, so I motivate myself with the idea of yummy breakfast waiting for me when I get home!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person either but I know that once I am out of bed I will be OK. I might be tired later in the day but I worry about that later. Once I state moving I am always glad I did. For me its all out that first step.

Also lay out my clothes the night before and don't shower or eat until after I get back.

Saturdays my running group meets at 7:00 am - I don't want to miss that work out so that's enough motivation to get up on the weekends.
  • amandahume44
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says to lay out your clothes the night before - including sneakers, fully charged GPS watch and Ipod, etc... If I'm having a bagel or toast pre-run I even set out what I'll need to make that in the kitchen. The less I have to think about the better chance I will make it out the door!!

Most things I've read say that during training, you should be waking up and going to bed at the same time each day/night whether your are planning to run that day or not to get your body used to the routine.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Since we are talking about morning runs, it is 5:13 am and I am ready to head out the door for my morning run. See ya!