Favorite bread?

Options
mandy_lynn
mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
My 4 year old was officially diagnosed with a gluten allergy yesterday. We've experimented with GF in the past for 6ish months, but threw in the towel. Now we are starting all over again in a few weeks (we have to begin a series of vitamins and minerals first), but her favorite food is wheat toast. I've never found a bread, store bought or homemade, that she really liked before. Any ideas? I'll more than likely eat the diet with her so she doesn't feel alone.

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Udi's they have white and multi grain bread, pizza crusts (white only), and hamburger and hotdog buns and they have lemon, chocolate, and blueberry muffins and cinnamon rolls too? This is my fave brand for breads, it's not too sweet like some and, of course, has to be toasted or it crumbles to bits (although, I have had it hold up okay a couple times when I couldn't toast it.) It's in the freezer section at Publix and at my local natural food store (and if they don't have it, I'm sure the could order it for you
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Udi's is pretty good. Schar ciabatta rolls are pretty good. Pamela's Bread Mix (which you have to make at home) is probably my fave.
  • khbut
    khbut Posts: 10
    Options
    Genius is my favourite, doesn't fall apart when you just look at it.
  • Camilletherealdeal
    Camilletherealdeal Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill has a GF bread mix that is pretty good. Not super hard to make, but kind of time-consuming. It is also pretty crubly, but good when toasted. The bad thing is there are like 200+ calories in a slice (it's really hard to make skinny slices, they fall apart), but I guess for a kiddo that's not too big a deal.
  • Cheryl_Catrair
    Cheryl_Catrair Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Rudi's multi grain and don't believe I would go back to "regular" toast if I could. It is AWESOME! Udi's is ok but a little blah to me.
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Udis is great. Canyon Bakehouse also has an assortment of breads, rolls, focaccia, etc that are delicious.
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I recently went GF and have only tried Schar store-bought bread (at Wegman's). It's okay -- a little dry and the flavor is different from wheat bread which I'll have to get used to.

I'm a real bread lover and so I've been hunting for ideas on how to solve the yucky bread problem of going GF. I found a chapter on GF bread recipes by fellow bread lovers, Jeff Hertzberg, M.D. and Zoe Francois. Their book, "Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" tells you how to make a basic dough (easy to mix) that can be stored in the fridge. Then when you need a loaf, you just pull out your tub of dough, shape the loaf and pop it in the oven. I haven't tried the recipes yet, but used their "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" recipes (not GF) and they were fabulous. The GF recipes are a little more involved, but if they are as good as the first book, it will be worth the trouble to me.

Maybe this will help?
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Whole Foods near you? They carry a new product that looks and tastes almost the same as pita. They also had a bread roll that was gluten free whose texture is amazing. The product is called Livwell. It's pretty new but I was darn right surprised by how much the pita reminded me of bread. This is a review by someone who tried the pita bread (I tried it the other day and was happy!) Oh, forgot to mention this - the other option is to roll the meats and whatever you normally make into a sandwich in maybe rice spring roll wraps. You could fry them to make them crispy and dip them. Heck, have her help you make them so it becomes a fun "I made this!" moment.

http://veggiefoodlover.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/livwell-pockets-gluten-free-greatness-with-amazing-pita-bread/
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth Barbone's Easy Gluten Free Baking has *AWESOME* bread recipes in it. I eat it untoasted and make a loaf or two a week. I do like to slice it as soon as it cools and freeze it in pairs otherwise is can go off. I think it's way better than any of the breads I've had in the past, I haven't tried store bought GF bread in about two years....