Breastfeeding FACTS

Options
sabusby
sabusby Posts: 78 Member
Hey ladies! I promise I won't 'over post' topics. I see a lot of misinformation around here related to breastfeeding (how much to eat, drink, etc.) I thought it would be good to post what we know as FACTS and support them with scientific research.

From all of my dietetic training (lifecycle nutrition), I can verify the follow are facts, as we currently know them (things are always changing.)

Add or debate what you like, just please you credible sources!

These are all according to Anne Smith, IBCLC (25 years of lactation consultation experience).

• Maternal nutrition has only a minor effect on the composition and quantity of breastmilk produced. Unless a mother is severely malnourished, her milk is fine. Mothers whose diets are poor deplete their own energy levels, and may become anemic, but the body will continue to produce what it needs through depleting mother’s energy stores.

• There are no special foods to avoid, or certain foods that you need to eat in order to produce a plentiful supply of nutritious breastmilk.

• Nursing mothers can eat pretty much anything they want to – including chocolate, broccoli, pizza, and diet soda – in moderation. One well-known study showed that when mothers ate lots and lots of garlic, their milk tasted and smelled like garlic. Not only did the babies who drank the milk not have any digestive problems, but they actually preferred the garlicky milk over the unflavored milk.

• What you eat cannot make baby ‘gassy’ because gas is produced when bacteria in the intestine interact with the intestinal fiber. Neither gas or fiber can pass into the bloodstream, or into your breastmilk.

• Some babies have sensitive digestive systems, and no matter what you feed them, they will experience bouts of intestinal upsets.

• In over 25 years of experience in working with nursing mothers, I have seen very few cases of food sensitivity that required extensive diet modifications. It is not nearly as common as most moms think.

• It takes 4-6 hours after ingestion for a food to affect your breastmilk, so that salad or candy bar you just ate is not what’s making your baby fussy.

• The food that is the most common offender in causing problems with sensitivity and allergies is cow’s milk (only 3-7% of babies have ANY sensitivities).

• Women who breastfeed have half the risk of bone fractures as women who never breastfed. The longer you nurse, the lower the risk. Breastfeeding actually protects you from osteoporosis.

• Breastmilk contains less iron than formula, but the iron is absorbed and used more efficiently, so your baby is less likely to become anemic than a formula fed baby. You may need to take iron supplements to make you feel better, but they will not affect the level of iron in your breastmilk.

• The guide to how much fluid to drink while nursing is to “drink to thirst”. There is no evidence to show that forcing fluids will increase your milk supply. (Another ”old wives tale”.) Drinking too much water (over 12 glasses a day) can actually decrease your milk supply. If you produce large amounts of pale urine and are not constipated, then you are probably drinking enough

• A good rule of thumb is to take in 200-500 calories in excess of what you needed to maintain your weight before you were pregnant while you are nursing. It is easier to lose lower body fat (hips, buns, and thighs) when you are breastfeeding compared to the mom who is formula feeding.

• Remember to factor in the weight of your breasts when setting your weight loss goals. The ‘average’ mom will carry around about 3 extra pounds of breast tissue while she’s lactating. Don’t expect to lose that weight until after your baby stops nursing.

• If you are a vegan, take a b-complex supplement. If you don’t consume dairy, take a calcium supplement. Always take a prenatal to ‘cover your bases.’

• Just like “drinking to thirst”, you should “eat to hunger” while nursing. Studies have shown that most nursing mothers tend to lose up to one and a half pounds a month for the first 4-6 months after giving birth, and continue to lose weight at a slower rate beyond that time.

• If you want to lose weight plan to do it slowly. It’s best not to try to aggressively lose weight during the first couple of months after birth, because during that time your body needs to recover from childbirth. You’re going to be more tired than you think, even if everything goes smoothly and you’re feeling great. Spend this time establishing your milk supply, and resting with your baby. If you want to get out and about, fine – push your baby in the stroller for short walks, carry him in a sling while you putter around the house. What you should avoid is things like shopping trips to the mall, planning a birthday party for your 5 year old, cleaning the house because your in laws are coming over, and entertaining guests, whether they are friends or family. [I think she is referring to the very early weeks]

• Losing weight too quickly (more than one to one and one half pounds per week) isn’t good for you, especially during the early weeks of breastfeeding. Extreme dieting won’t have much effect on your milk supply, but it does depletes your energy levels, and you need as much energy as possible to get through the early weeks of mothering and breastfeeding.

• Begin your weight loss program slowly when you are breastfeeding. Try to take in at least 1,800 calories each day, and definitely no less than 1,500 calories. Even moderate dieting during lactation can help you lose 4-5 pounds each month, but don’t expect to lose much body fat until about 2 weeks postpartum. The weight you lose immediately after birth is mostly fluid loss.

• Despite one highly publicized but very questionable study about exercising during lactation, there is NO evidence that moderate exercise is anything but beneficial for nursing mothers (or anyone else, for that matter.)

Sources include: Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 2nd Edition; Riordan and Auerbach, 1999; LLLI The Breastfeeding Answer Book, revised edition, 1997; and The Complete Book of Breastfeeding, 3rd edition; Eiger and Wendkos Olds, 1999
(Edited September, 2011)

Replies

• 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for taking the time to post all this info!
  • sabusby
    Options
    Not a problem! This is all the info that I could think of that was important to me or that I desperately googled for a RELIABLE answer. I hope it's helpful!
  • rwolfenden
    rwolfenden Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can answer this-I have heard conflicting information about whether breastfeeding women should have diets higher in fat and protein. Is this true, and if so, what ratios should I be shooting for?
  • sabusby
    Options
    From dietetics standpoint, there's no particular reason for that. Your body grabs what it needs (in terms of fat) prior to birth. If you're eating is balanced and you're consuming good fats, I see no reason to watch fats that closely.

HIGHER protein isn't NECESSARY unless you're ovulating. I increased my protein because I will get RAVENOUS and eat just about anything if I don't control my hunger, so there's that.
    Balanced diet is still most important.
  • casey1135
    casey1135 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you so much for all that information!! I have been looking for a drop in milk supply once i started running again but I haven't noticed it. Now that I've read this I won't be so worried about it.
  • sabusby
    Options
    Good! I'm glad I could be helpful!

There are so many long-standing wives tales about having babies, it's insane.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    very good information!! I'm not sure I believe the info on no certain things increasing supply though. I know some women that have had great results from Fennel and Nursing teas. I don't drink beer but one of my friends swears Blue Moon beer increases her supply. For me personally water is the biggest thing that I see making a difference. I do use Mother's Milk tea but I think it is just the added fluid that helps more so than anything in the tea.

hmmmm. just reread the original post and it says no certain foods....maybe that doesn't count supplements like fennel.....
  • ChristineAnelia
    Options
    Great info. Thanks for posting!
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    • If you are a vegan, take a b-complex supplement. If you don’t consume dairy, take a calcium supplement. Always take a prenatal to ‘cover your bases.’

This is the only "fact" I can knowingly quibble with. Since you don't actually directly cite any of your facts I'm not sure where you got this information and I know you're only trying to help, but in the interest of some serious stuff I'm going to have to break down what you've chosen to mention about vegans.

The recommendation that ALL breastfeeding women continue to take prenatals is the one I'm most familiar with, although I can't say I've seen research in support of it as much as generic recommendations on Kellymom or LLL's site. There is no support for the idea that balanced vegan diets are deficient in ways that balanced omni or vegetarian diets are with one exception (gone into in greater detail below) and it seems beyond ridiculous to imply that all vegan diets are deficient but you can live at McDonald's and everything will be OK. The fact that your body will provide is inclusive to vegans.

Calcium is plentiful in balanced plant-based diets even without eating fortified foods. Vegans are in no more need of calcium supplementation than the general breastfeeding population.

Taking a b-complex supplement in lieu of a B12 supplement is very poor advice. Most of the b-complex are readily available in vegan diets (B1: whole grains; B2: soybeans, spinach, various mushrooms, almonds; B3: numerous vegetables; B5: numerous vegetables; B6: potatoes, sunflower seeds, spinach; B7: nuts, oatmeal). B12 is the only vitamin completely absent from a vegan diet (barring fortification) and is not believed to be easily absorbed by anyone. A b-complex vitamin would be a horrible place to go for B12. Outside of a doctor's office, it is best absorbed sublingually or via sprays. With the exception of fortified foods, most "B12 foods" are actually analogues and are not currently believed to contain true B12 although they will skew any tests results for anyone who attempts to have her levels checked. Most people do not likely consume fortified foods in quantities great enough to maintain their B12 levels. However this is more of something to take note of for personal health reasons. B12 does transfer in utero but seems to transfer in increasingly smaller amounts in breastmilk regardless of mother's diet as infant serum levels continue to dwindle until six months. VeganHealth.org goes into the B12 issue in greater detail (http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/infants). Links to scientific studies re B12 are also on Vegan Health.

Realistically, most people who have been vegan for more than a fortnight already know this so it's not likely you're leading many astray. However, since B12 deficiency is really damaging and since a a mother's low B12 stores during pregnancy can cause serious harm to her child I think it's important to make sure the "facts" are straight.

edited for: missing punctuation
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not going to edit my post again, but it seems from your initial statement that these facts are all sourced from the same woman. Is that correct? I've not read any of her books. Does she actually cite studies?
  • sabusby
    Options

This is the only "fact" I can knowingly quibble with. Since you don't actually directly cite any of your facts I'm not sure where you got this information and I know you're only trying to help, but in the interest of some serious stuff I'm going to have to break down what you've chosen to mention about vegans.
    I guess that SHOULDN'T have been listed as 'fact.' I did edit information out and I didn't want to make it seem like there were deficiencies (because usually there isn't) but tried to keep it concise. Additionally, my reading comprehension slipped considerably. Good catch. I'm going to blame it on sleep deprivation but that's probably not the case.

Here was her FULL statement:
    f you are a vegetarian, you probably already eat a healthier diet and make wiser food choices that those of of who eat meat. Mickey Ds was my home away from home a lot when my kids were younger. We spent half our waking hours in the car, going to and from school, sporting events, and all the million other places that school age kids need to be. I don’t care if I never see the Golden Arches again.
    Vegetarians and Vegans don’t need to change their diets unless they don’t include any animal protein at all (vegan and macrobiotic diets). Since animal protein is the best source of many B-vitamins (namely B12), consider taking a b-complex in conjunction with a supplement containing vitamin B12 if you don’t want to consume any animal products. If you don’t eat dairy products, you also need to make sure to get enough calcium. I recommend that every nursing mom continue taking prenatal vitamins for as long as she lactates, just to make sure her nutritional bases are covered.
    [/quote]
  • sabusby
    Options
    I know some women that have had great results from Fennel and Nursing teas. I don't drink beer but one of my friends swears Blue Moon beer increases her supply. For me personally water is the biggest thing that I see making a difference. I do use Mother's Milk tea but I think it is just the added fluid that helps more so than anything in the tea.

hmmmm. just reread the original post and it says no certain foods....maybe that doesn't count supplements like fennel.....

I don't think she should have mentioned Fenugreek. Currently, no large, credible studies have been conducted on it's contribution to increasing supply, though there have been some smaller studies which suggest it.

Even NCCAM doesn't fully support it's use in BF mothers, due to unknown side effects and lack of any longitudinal studies (as is the case with most herbs and some alternative treatments.)
    http://nccam.nih.gov/health/fenugreek

I don't drink beer but one of my friends swears Blue Moon beer increases her supply.

Most of the articles that I've read, there is a polysaccharide contained in barley which impacts prolactin but the offset is that alcohol actually decreases supply. I haven't seen anything attributing a quantity or rate of alcohol consumed but it's probably out there. I know many fellow RDs recommend drinking non-alcoholic beer (which still contains small amounts of alcohol) because they still contain the polysaccharide from the barley.
    But really, who wants to do that? ;) As a beer connoisseur, I'd be interested to see if barley wine actually contained more of the sugar...
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=breastfeeding+supply+alcohol&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,3

Edited to add that last bit.
  • sabusby
    Options
    Also, I'm not going to edit my post again, but it seems from your initial statement that these facts are all sourced from the same woman. Is that correct? I've not read any of her books. Does she actually cite studies?

She wrote the article which summarizes points from her experience and:

Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 2nd Edition; Riordan and Auerbach, 1999; LLLI
    The Breastfeeding Answer Book, revised edition, 1997
    The Complete Book of Breastfeeding, 3rd edition; Eiger and Wendkos Olds, 1999

I guess these could technically be some 'old' facts. 1997 is getting there...
  • smartblonde529
    smartblonde529 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great information, thanks for posting!
  • Frauhammie
    Frauhammie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I meant to respond to rwolfenden....
  • Frauhammie
    Frauhammie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is from a book I bought: "Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding" by Eileen Behan, R.D.
    20% protein
    50% carbs
    25-35% fat

She does not recommend low carb diets while breastfeeding, I almost went that route myself.
  • amyfromky
    Options
    All I know is for me personally, my supply drops when I cut my calories too quickly or too much. 2000 cals a day seems to be my happy place for weight loss as well as my supply.
  • chrissyfuchs
    chrissyfuchs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All I know is for me personally, my supply drops when I cut my calories too quickly or too much. 2000 cals a day seems to be my happy place for weight loss as well as my supply.

Me too. I tried to go lower and spent the next two months rebuilding my supply. I pump so I am not relying on my baby's fussiness asthe signal. I clearly can see that my supply is down when I don't eat at least 2000 cals a day. I also HAVE to eat carbs. I tried low carb for a while (I have PCOS and it's recommended to restrict carbs) but I lost so much supply I had to stop.