My wrists hurt on the downhills.

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
(Mountain biking) I just switched bikes to my husband's hand-me-down. My wrists have really started aching, especially on the downhill. I think my old bike's handle bars were wider. We're going to switch them. I lift weights too and they are fine for that (bench and overhead press).

Thoughts, besides switching the bars?

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Grips, gloves, bar ends? lots of variables
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    So I went with the wider bar. Going to get nicer grips tomorrow and I turned my break levels down a bit so they are more vertical instead of horizontal.
  • phil85207
    phil85207 Posts: 20
    Options
    Bikes come in all sizes for a reason. Bikes are not a one size fits all thing. Find a good bike shop that has someone qualified to give you a bike fit. Good luck and stay safe Phil
  • mandy_mae1989
    mandy_mae1989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I got my new bike last year, took me a whole season to finally do something about it... it was an easy fix for me, just had to adjust where the breaks were so when I rode the placement of my hands were different (and better)

Hope you figure it out!
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you're riding your husband's old mountain bike and he is heavier than you are it might be the pre-load on your front fork shock isn't set up correctly. It might be too stiff (transmitting too much force to your wrists) and may need to be lightened for your lighter weight.