Foot pain/numbness using clip in pedals

Options
klrmumbles
klrmumbles Posts: 12 Member
Hi All,

Ever since I've started using clip in pedals (about 1.5 year ago) I experience a burning pain (would be the best way to describe it) right on the balls of my feet .. I've tried 3 different pairs of shoes and experimented with moving the cleats around and that hasn't helped. I'm currently using SPD-SL pedals and Shimano WR41 shoes (they do have a very stiff sole). Any ideas? Thanks!!

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    How much do you ride and what kind of bike is it? Crappy shoes do hurt your feet. I actually had to buy a pair of Sidis which are made extra wide. You may want to get a professional fit on your bike where they look at seat position, cleats, the whole deal.
  • klrmumbles
    Options
    I ride a Trek Madone 3.1 WSD and they did an initial fit when I bought it. They do offer a more in depth fitting for a fee.
    I ride 15 miles 2 days a week and on the weekends 25-35. I know I could get more miles in if it wasn't for the feet issue :(
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Pay for the professional fitting. If they are a good shop, they will do an initial fit, you'll test it out, and they will keep helping with minor adjustments until it's right. If they charge you each time, go somewhere else.

Might not be the shoes and pedals at all. Might be the saddle height or angle, stem length, or something about your biomechanics that can be fixed with a shim or something.

It's worth it and in the long run will make cycling more enjoyable. Just do it!
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is helpful information for me. My feet were going numb and I thought it was because I was wearing my running sneakers and the sole was too soft. However, I've since gotten my cycling shoes and clipless pedals and am still having the same issue.
  • klrmumbles
    Options
    I'm glad it's not just me! I hope we can find a solution :)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Go get a professional fitting and ask about insoles too. If you tell the fitter up front what issues you're having they should be able to address it during the fit.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Go for the professional fitting it will be worth the cost. If your feet are wide you need to find wide shoes. I used to have a pair of shoes and they hurt bad, I switched to Sidi's extra wide shoes and never had a problem since. They call the Sidi slippers for a reason!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Read an article about it, sounds like you've tried most of this, but give it aread.

http://www.roadbikerider.com/injuries/how-solve-painful-hot-foot
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience since I had started using clipless pedals. I rode a pair of WSD Shimano MTB shoes. The outer plastic sole eventually cracked and decided to get a pair of Sidis. As soon as I started riding in them, I had some dull at first, then it felt like tingling nerve-related pain right in the balls of my feet. I had a friend suggest putting thicker insoles in. I took the insoles out of my Brooks Pure Cadence minimal running shoes and put them in my Sidis because they were thinner than any regular insoles I could find, but were thicker than the flimsy insoles that came in my Sidis. That made all the difference in the world and I am a happy camper in my shoes. Hope that helps.
  • Randonneur
    Randonneur Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I ride many miles, generally I do a 1200Km ride every year.
    Unlike many colleagues I use Lidl cycling shoes. I have had different shoes and have found these cycle walking SPD shoes the most comfortable.

The reason for hotfoot is usually that the shoes are too tight. This could happen with different shoes if the fit is not right. You might be fastening different shoes too tight or you might be trusting Italian shoe sizes.

To test the theory loosen the fitting so that your foot has movement even when pedaling.

The other thing that can affect the pain on the ball of the foot. You should allow your feet to move sideways as they go through a cycle, its called float. Also try not to push too hard on the pedals.
  • phil85207
    phil85207 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi, I ride many miles, generally I do a 1200Km ride every year.
    Unlike many colleagues I use Lidl cycling shoes. I have had different shoes and have found these cycle walking SPD shoes the most comfortable.

The reason for hotfoot is usually that the shoes are too tight. This could happen with different shoes if the fit is not right. You might be fastening different shoes too tight or you might be trusting Italian shoe sizes.

To test the theory loosen the fitting so that your foot has movement even when pedaling.

The other thing that can affect the pain on the ball of the foot. You should allow your feet to move sideways as they go through a cycle, its called float. Also try not to push too hard on the pedals.

This man know where of he speaks. listen to him. Having foot problems in 15 miles, something is very wrong. Usually after 50 miles is when "hot foot" kicks in and it shouldn't happen then. Good luck and stay safe. Phil
  • bikechic61
    bikechic61 Posts: 39
    Options
    I had that a lot when I was using bike shoes that were like light hikers. I switched up to a stiffer sole shoe and that lasted for a while.Now I have arthritis in my feet and I will be getting a carbon soled shoe soon. hope it helps, it's a big investment. Incidentally, smartwool PHD running socks seem to work the best for me alleviating or preventing hotfoot except for very long rides.