Getting your youth back

Options
I don't know...this might sound weird, bare with me...

Does anyone work out/lose weight, in part, to try to get a younger look again?...because, you somehow think in the back of your mind that maybe if you're thin, in shape and healthy again (like when the abuse was going on for me) you might be able to get some of the youth that you lost back? Maybe that sounds weird to everybody, I don't know.

Sometimes I'd do anything to get a shred of it back without all the hurt. I'm a 31 year old guy now and realizing that I'm not "young" anymore...and sort of mourning it because all of my youth was spent in stress.

Don't laugh just sharing. :-\

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I consider it a battle against what "was done" to me. Without the depression it caused, would I have gained this much weight?

I do kinda look at it as regaining my youth, and my self. I may not be able to be a kid again, but I can at least get fit enough to go play with kids! I still have my responsibilities, but I will be better able to enjoy the good times :) Not to mention certain other, more adult, activities.

It's ok to grieve the loss of your childhood, it's all part of coming to terms with where you are now. I still take a moment now and then, like I did yesterday, when someone was complaining about having to stand on their own 2 feet ( as an adult), and it made me remember standing alone on my mine when I was so much younger, and shouldn't have had to at all.
  • George_NJ
    George_NJ Posts: 4
    Options
    I was sexually abused by an uncle from 8-12, then after having been sexualized, I began to carry on a mutual "fwb" with another kid my age. I was a messed up kid on so many levels, full of secrets,lies, trying to pull off the best little boy in the world routine to avoid notice. I was afraid that if anyone looked at me long enough they'd see the shame on me. Having been through all that, I was hyper vigilant of my surroundings, didn't trust anyone, always felt vulnerable.

I was thin all the way through my teens, being only 5' 8" I always felt small and didn't like that feeling, it made me feel vulnerable. I started working in a resturaunt when I was 17 and in one year I put on 50 lbs. At first I liked the extra "bulk", I didn't feel so small & vulnerable anymore. I didn't mind 215, I felt safer.

Over the years I put more and more on. Slowly it goes on and you don't even notice, except for clothes not fitting anymore, but new bigger clothes fix that. I began punishing myself with food, as wierd as that was, I saw large portions as a sign of success, lots of wacky thoughts about food came about. I can pin point the csa as it's starting point though.

Ten years of physicals, meds& " the talk" from my doctor due to the weight didn't shake me out of the weight stupor, it wasn't till my knee screwed up bad did I awake and say enough is enough.

Yes, I'd like to get back to the body that I should've had all along. I didn't think about it that way till I read your thread, might have been in my mind somewhere deep, but damnit...I'm taking that back too! :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but yes I do understand what the OP is describing. I was sexually abused by my stepfather, it started when I was a very young child, and he treated me in a very cruel way. He stole my childhood from me, and then I spent so much of my youth in turmoil over it, as I was growing and dealing with it all over again. So, I do understand this feeling of wanting to maintain a youthfulness. I think it's fine to feel that way because when I was younger I always felt older, so it's good to enjoy being young in healthy ways as long as I feel that way (I'm 35), but it's also important to embrace how wonderful it is to be grown up and to continue growing. Childhood was such a painful time. I am glad to be grown up now. But, it's kind of sad to feel that way. Childhood should be a time of good memories, but I know that it's not for a lot of people. But, yeah, this post really resonates with me. I understand how the OP feels, including worrying that others won't understand.