Cholesterol usage?

Options
I am new to MFP so I am still trying to learn this. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, and I am currently on medication to control it. On my food tab, I have my cholesterol showing as one of my goal items showing. My goal listed for cholesterol is 300. I can barely break 100. That's with me being around my calorie goal everyday of being over or under 50. Should I be trying to hit the cholesterol goal of 300 or is that more of a limit? Anyone's help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• TableForSix
    Options
    My stepson was just diagnosed with high cholesterol. The dr. isn't concerned enough - yet - to put him on meds and told him to watch what he eats. While researching online I read that people without cholesterol issues should stay under 300 mg a day and people with high cholesterol should stay under 200mg a day.

I think what you are seeing here is just a max limit. If you are having bad enough problems with it to be on medicine I don't think you should push yourself to have a lot.
  • michelleraber
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help!
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree. Don't *try* to reach it. Honestly, it doesn't matter what I eat, without meds mine is bad. My dad (who eats really well and is in great shape) is the same way.

Exercise is shown to help most people, though, so don't neglect exercise even if it isn't really helping you with weight loss.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A good tip for people with high cholesterol:

When you eat something really high in fiber, eat it with a little bit of fat. Fat causes the gallbladder to purge and fiber is necessary to bind to the bile to be excreted in feces. Bile is just a different form of cholesterol, so you can lower it that way. Insoluble fiber also reduces the amount of cholesterol absorbed into the blood stream.
  • michelleraber
    Options
    Thank you guys for all of your help!!!!