Fasting day FD recipe ideas SNACKS and OTHER

Foamroller
Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
Fellow 5:2'ers!

This is the SNACK and OTHER recipe thread. If you have ideas for LUNCH or DINNER, please post here:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10003945/fasting-day-fd-recipe-ideas-lunch-and-dinner?new=1

We all have our quirks and tastes concerning foods. Staying within the 500-600 kcal limit on fast days can be hard. If you have a recipe you think others maybe would enjoy too, please feel free to post it here.

To make the recipe suggestions easy for anyone to follow or adjust, I suggest posting a complete recipe including the following:
- Total kcal count
- kcal count /serving
- preparation instructions
- a complete list of ingredients with amount including kcal number for EACH ingredient...OR
- a picture of the ingredients list (take a screenshot of the recipe you made in MFP)
- a picture of your lovely recipe if possible.

It might seem over the board to ask for complete ingredients list. But people have allergies or dislikes or whatever reason for not wanting to include an ingredient. It's much easier to adjust and change a recipe when you have a list of the ingredients with kcal number.

If you're running out of ideas on what to eat on FD, join Pinterest. Search for 5:2 and you will get recipes until your heads spin. I'm on there as Foamroller, if someone wants to add me there too for even easier recipe share.

Bon appetit:)

Replies

• AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    edited October 2014
    ignore this XD
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    edited October 2014
    Original Thread: Enjoy Yourself While Fasting: Recipes and Suggestions
    Author: @orlcam

August 22, 2014 5:04 PM

Here's another recipe that lends itself to a good crossover into low-calorie territory. Caesar dressing; with so many bold sharp flavors the extra olive oil isn't missed (so much). I still use some oil in it but if you don't mind an "all" yogurt dressing then remove it and save yourself 240 calories for the batch.

Caesar Dressing (yield ~2.33 cups or 19 (2 tbsp) servings of 30 calories each, 60 cals per 1/4 cup)

Ingredients:
    • 1 cup, Great Value Greek Non-fat Plain Yogurt (120 calories)
    • 1/3 cup, Lemon juice - fresh, raw (20)
    • 2 tbsp, Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil (240)
    • 1/4 cup, Heinz Gourmet Red Wine Vinegar (11)
    • 1 tbsp, Pompeiian Balsamic Vinegar (5)
    • 3 tbsp, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce (45)
    • 1 tbsp, Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard - Original (15)
    • 1 tbsp, Zatarain's Creole Mustard (30)
    • 2 tbsp, Cristopher Ranch Minced Organic Garlic (30)
    • 2 tsp, Spices - Fresh Course Ground Peppercorn, black (11)
    • 1 tsp, Mccormick Italian Herb Seasoning Grinder (0)
    • 1 tsp, Morton Salt - Coarse Kosher (0)
    • 1 tbsp, Kraft Parmesan, Romano & Asiago Shredded Cheese (28)
    • 1/2 tsp, Roland Anchovy Paste (5) or to taste
    Directions: Mix all ingredients, you may want to add the lemon juice, garlic, and anchovy paste in small steps because these can be too much (or too little) for your tastes and can vary in strength depending on brand, type, and/or your location. I just whisk my ingredients, but you can put them in a blender and puree to get a smoother consistency. It should keep for at least 30 days in the refrigerator (use fresh yogurt).

Options: Like I said above, you can remove the olive oil and save yourself from the bulk of this recipe's calories, but I like the added flavor. Another option would be to remove the olive oil and add 5 to 10 of your favorite olive type (Kalamata are about 9 cal each) and puree the dressing in a blender, this will still let that nice olive flavor come through while saving you about 200 calories on the whole batch (bringing it down to about 20 calories per 2 tbsp serving).

Enjoy
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014

August 22, 2014 8:39 PM

Bacon, eggs, and cheese....oh my. For those who have time for breakfast here's a pretty good low-cal dish that should leave you with enough room for another meal later in the day. I replaced heavy cream with skim milk and light sour cream and added some creole mustard to give the dish another flavor dimension. The pie crust had to go, so I used buttermilk biscuit dough instead. I also added a couple of dashes of liquid smoke to fool our taste buds into thinking there's more bacon in the dish...hmmm bacon!

Ham Quiche with Spinach and Mushrooms (Total ~1400 calories)
    (I use a 9" pie dish and cut it into 350 cal quarters, in 8ths you're only looking at 175 cal per serving)

Ingredients:
    • 1 second spray, Butter Flavor (9)
    • 6 biscuits, Pillsbury Small Pack Buttermilk(in a 4 pack, 10.5 biscuits per can) (300 cal)
    • 3 large, Eggs Whole (221)
    • 4 large, Egg Whites (68)
    • 1/2 cup, Daisy - Light Sour Cream (160)
    • 1 cup, Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim) (86)
    • 1/2 tbsp, Zatarain's Creole Mustard (15)
    • 2 Slices, Gwaltrey Bacon chopped (80)
    • 1/4 cup, Onion Raw, Chopped (8)
    • 1/3 lb, Land O' Frost Premium Old Fashioned Cooked Ham (180)
    • 1 tsp, Garlic - Raw (4)
    • 1 tsp, Spices - Pepper, black (5)
    • 1 cup, Button Mushrooms - chopped (15)
    • 1/2 tsp, Wrights Hickory Liquid Smoke (0)
    • 1 cup, Spinach - chopped (7)
    • 1 cup, 2% Fancy Shredded Mexican Style Cheese (240)
    Directions: Heat oven to 350 F. Take 6 biscuits from the roll, mash them together, then spread out in a 9" pie dish sprayed with Pam butter. I don't go up the sides of the dish I just spread it across the bottom, if you want a full crust you're probably going to need the rest of the biscuits in the roll. Bake the crust in the oven for about 5 minutes, just to give it some firmness...remove and set aside. In a bowl add the eggs, sour cream, milk and creole mustard and whisk well. In a skillet fry your bacon and onions together until the onions start to clear and caramelize (about 5 minutes). Add the ham and garlic and allow the ham to brown a little. Then add the pepper, mushrooms, and liquid smoke. The mushrooms will start to release moisture, continue to cook until moisture is slightly reduced (about 5 minutes). Turn off fire and add spinach, toss/mix with other ingredients. Pour the ingredients from the skillet onto the slightly cook biscuit crust and spread evenly. Then sprinkle the cheese over the dish. Now slowly pour the whisked ingredients around the pie dish evenly. Cook for about 35 to 45 minutes until the center is set, cool on oven rack and serve.

Options: Quiche is another dish that can be made in so many different ways. Use breakfast sausage (cooked well, drained and washed), tofu, eggplant, chicken, shrimp, broccoli, etc. Change your cheeses also if you like, swiss is a good low-cal alternative. Remove the crust and/or bacon if you like, that will save you even more calories.

Enjoy
  • orlcam
    Author: @bunnylion, @orlcam

August 23, 2014 3:50 PM

QUOTE from @bunnylion:
    Orlcam, what are your thoughts on fat reduced coconut milk? I made a vegetable curry a few days ago for my fast day. But normal coconut milk has a lot of calories... I needed to make portions rather small (300 g) to stay around 260 cals...

If you want coconut flavor for just curry (and cooking in general) then you can add some imitation coconut extract...Mccormick's is 0 cal, natural extracts are going to carry about 10 cal per tsp. It all depends how far you want to take it. The closest low cal match that quickly comes to mind would be 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 tsp (or to taste) of imitation coconut extract and Stevia to taste (total 30 calories)...compared to 350+ for regular coconut milk. If you can find it, Silk makes an unsweetened coconut milk that is 45 cal per cup.

Good Luck, let me know what your final solution is.
  • orlcam
    Author: @eshta_uk

August 26, 2014 7:49 AM

These are great recipes!

Well, for breakfast I just discovered the joys of fruit with 100g low-fat yogurt for breakfast, depending on your fruit it comes to about 100 kcal.

My favourite sweet treat is to freeze sliced bananas and then when they are frozen but slightly softened (out the freezer for 5 mins), blending them with a dash of skimmed milk to make "ice cream". Portion-size dependent, you get a full-on sweet treat for around 100kcals.

But my life-changing discovery was to invest in a spiralizer. This little gadget means I can replace noodles, pasta and rice with spiralised veggies. So on my fast days I make a meat-free chilli or pasta sauce that is chock full of veggies, and then spiralise a courgette and I get a meal that is undo-your-top-button filling, but for 150-200 kcals!
  • orlcam

August 27, 2014 3:29 AM

Stuffed Mushrooms (with crab meat):
    (Yield: about 3 lbs at 1209 calories, or 8 6 oz servings at 151 calories per...about 3 or 4 mushrooms per serving)

Mushrooms with crab meat and 4 kinds of cheese, how can we go wrong?! Not really a main dish but a nice accompaniment/appetizer to any meal. Obviously you could choose to eat just these as a meal, they're pretty filling...you can have 3 servings, about a dozen (~1 lb) and still be at only 450 calories.

Ingredients:
    • - 2 lb, White Mushrooms - Raw (200 calories) if available use a size that yields about 16 mushrooms per lb
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Extra Virgin Olive Oil (60)
    • - 1/2 medium (2-1/2" dia), Onions - chopped (23)
    • - 1 tbsp, Garlic - minced (13)
    • - 1 tsp, Kosher Salt (0)
    • - 1 tsp, Spices - Pepper, black (5)
    • - 1 tsp, dry Italian Seasoning (0)
    • - 1/2 lb, Premium, lump crab meat (189)
    • - 1 flatbread, Flatout Light Italian Herb (90) process for breadcrumbs
    • - 1/4 cup Swanson - Chicken Broth - 99% Fat Free (1)
    • - 1/3 cup, Best Choice Fancy Shredded Low-moisture Part-skim Mozzarella Cheese (80)
    • - 1/4 cup, Cheese - Parmesan, grated (108)
    • - 1 tbsp, Kraft Natural Blue Cheese Crumbles (37)
    • - 2 tbsp, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light (90)
    • - 2 tbsp, Lemon juice - Raw (8)
    • - 2 stalks chopped ~1/8 bunch, Green Onions (6)
    • - 6 slices, Sargento Reduced Fat Provolone Cheese (300)

Directions: Heat your oven to 375. On a large baking pan or multiple casserole dishes place the mushroom caps (destemmed), bottoms facing up so they can be stuffed. In a skillet saute your chopped onion with the olive oil and cook until translucent, add garlic and about 1/2 of the removed mushroom stems (chopped), cook for about 3 minutes longer. Add spices, crab meat, flatbread crumbs (toast until stiff and process into bread crumbs), broth, mozzarella, parmesan and blue cheese. Cook for about 1 minute and remove from heat, continue to stir until cheeses have melted and you are left with a pliable mixture. Add more chicken broth if the mixture is too dry. Put about 1 tbsp of mixture (depending on the size of your mushrooms) per cap, making little domes or cones. Melt the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter in a small bowl, add lemon juice and chopped green onions. Drizzle mixture evenly over stuffed mushrooms. Place the provolone slices over the stuffed mushrooms (you should be able to get about 5 or 6 mushrooms under each slice. Place in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese has started to bubble and brown. Remove and serve, spoon excess liquid from the pan over mushrooms.

Options: You could go with small button mushrooms and use less crab meat stuffing on each mushroom, this will yield LOTS of mushrooms (maybe an extra 2 lbs or so), but that's fine because mushrooms are only 100 calories per pound. Using fat free cheeses will save you on calories but hurt the flavor. You could also remove the bulk of the calories by not using the provolone, but I think this is one of the main draws of the dish. Reusing the stems (chopped) in the stuffing is really a personal choice, if they are too dry or don't look appealing feel free to leave them out. If you can afford the extra calories (add about 20 cal per serving) then use real butter (instead of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter) to make the drizzle mix at the end of the recipe...hmmm butter.

Enjoy
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014

August 28, 2014 3:36 AM

Pancakes (or Waffles?)
    Couldn't sleep so I spent some time trying to perfect a recipe for pancakes. To me buttermilk pancakes are probably at my pinnacle (of pancakes); hot off the griddle, fluffy, melted butter between each layer, with thick maple syrup cascading over the top...well these ain't those. So...I was able to find a low-cal recipe that people seemed to enjoy (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/496546-low-calorie-pancakes-under-30-calories-each?page=1), but the reason, as it turns out, the calories are so low (17 servings at 26 cal per) is because the pancakes are only about 2 inches. Hey, that's ok, we can stick them on a tea plate, bend down to the table and pretend they're "real" size. Anyway, that's the recipe I started with. The thread is actually about 20 pages long, with varied comments about them being too dense, too salty, or good as is. These are going to be denser than normal pancakes, that's why they might actually make better waffles. You would have to add at least 2 tsp of oil or maybe just spraying the waffle iron before each batch would be enough...I didn't have a waffle iron to test it. You're going to have to work a little harder for these pancakes, the harder you work the fluffier (less dense) they'll be...you may even be able to lose the calories you gain from eating the pancakes as you're making them (teehee).

I increased the ingredients and was able to get 10 good sized pancakes made from a 1/4 cup of batter each. Eat 'em while they're hot, if you let them sit there they'll become more dense as they cool off (just like regular pancakes, but more so). Cook them as you would ordinary pancakes, I used Pam butter flavored cooking spray (remember to add the calories). Also, in order to get a little of that buttermilk flavor I added a tbsp of light sour cream.

Yield: 10 4" to 5" pancakes at 50 calories each

Ingredients:
    • - 7/8 cup, Gold Medal All-Purpose Flour (350 Calories)
    • - 2 tbsp, Argo 100% Pure Corn Starch (60)
    • - 1 tbsp, Calumet Baking Powder (0)
    • - 1 cup, Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk (30)
    • - 1 tbsp, Daisy Sour Cream - Light (20)
    • - 1/2 tsp, Imitation Vanilla Flavor (1)
    • - 1 packet, Great Value Stevia No Calorie Sweetener (0)
    • - 1/4 tsp, Kosher Salt (0)
    • - 2 large, Eggs - White only, raw (34)
    Directions: Mix flour (7/8 cups is a full cup minus 2 tbsp), corn starch and baking powder well. Sift twice to create a light and airy mix. In a separate bowl mix the almond milk, sour cream, vanilla, Stevia and salt...mix thoroughly until the sour cream is completely dissolved. Pour flour mixture slowly into almond milk mixture, whipping as you go. Whip the flour/milk mixture until it is smooth and fluffy. In a separate bowl add the egg whites and a pinch of salt. Whip/beat the eggs until they become light and airy (almost to the point of meringue). Fold the eggs into the flour/milk mixture (whipping as you go). The goal is to get as much air as you can into the batter, which will help create fluffier pancakes. If the batter stands for more than 15 or 20 minutes be sure to whip again thoroughly.

Options: Top with butter substitute, sugar free syrup, or blueberries, blackberries, strawberries with sugar free whipped cream. Anything really...same as regular pancakes.

Did I mention you need to whip that batter?

Enjoy
  • orlcam
    Author: @bunnylion

August 31, 2014 12:54 PM

¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸ Hummus ¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸

Gosh, I love hummus! Here is a low cal version (more or less just omitting the olive oil from the original recipe).

You need:
    • - 1 can chickpeas (drained 265 g)
    • - Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 2 tbsp)
    • - 2 garlic cloves
    • - 1 tsp Tahini (5 g)
    • - 1 tsp Peanut butter (5 g)
    • - 2 tbsp non fat yogurt (20 g)
    • - spices as desired (for example: cumin, turmeric (curcuma), salt, pepper, paprika, chili...)

Do:
    Drain chickpeas and save the water. Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Make sure those teaspoons of Tahini and peanut butter are not heaping because this is where the calories are! Add some of the chickpea water if the paste is to thick.

Yields: Two decent portions a 150 cals, three smaller portions a 100 cals.

Variations: Depending on what you have at hand you can only use peanut butter or Tahini. Instead of yogurt use more chickpea water to make it vegan. You can make this more garlicky or spicier by adding more chili according to your liking.

Still not a great food photographer, but I wanted to give you an idea of portion size: This is one 150 cal portion of hummus as a dip for 1/2 cucumber, 1 red bell pepper, 1/2 kohlrabi. Altogether this is a yummy 250 calorie lunch :-)
    mih2pkonlnj2.jpg
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014
    Author: @lisaze30

August 31, 2014 2:35 PM

Egg Salad

Is a bit boring but it does the job on a fasting day!

This is with 2 eggs so the calories are higher but on days when I haven't been as hungry, one egg has sufficed for a lunch of 86 calories.
    • Baby Plum Tomatoes, 2 tomato
    • Raw Carrot, 10 g
    • British Radish, 15 g
    • Lettuce, 28.0 g
    • Cucumber
    • Eggs - Hard Boiled, 2 Egg
    • Quarter a red chilli pepper ... couldn't work out the calories of it though!
    • Lemon juice, salt and pepper.
    Calories: 160
    30pmdp4v28o1.jpg

• orlcam
    Author: @lisaze30

September 3, 2014 4:10 AM

Yesterday's lunch
    Calories : 145

Chop up a small tomato and soften in a non stick pan.

Add an egg and salt and pepper.

On a flow heat, gently mix the egg and tomato until cooked, totally up to you how runny or stiff you like your eggs.

Had it with a teaspoon of feta cheese, some green bell pepper slices and cucumber.
    ns3qz6ahwzyf.jpg
  • orlcam

September 18, 2014 9:18 AM

I see there have been a few new (and returning) 5:2ers joining in lately, but if you are having trouble on your fast days then try going though this thread. There are a number of good recipes, food swaps, and other ideas in here that will not only help you but can actually give you some enjoyment while fasting.

A helpful hint on using MyFitnessPal (MFP):

We all make salads and sandwiches and stir fries and fajitas, etc. But because of the large variation of ingredients and portions at any given meal they can be a pain to add to your food diary. Even a sandwich's ingredient list can quickly reach 6 or more (bread, turkey, cheese, mayo, mustard, pickle, etc.) ...and since we have to cycle through 2 webpages (including ads) each time we add an ingredient (not to mention the different brands & types & erroneous user entries in the database) this can get pretty tedious. At best it's slow and annoying; at worst it may even stop you from logging what you eat (if you just don't have the time). I often find myself wondering if "that" database entry was the same one I used last time...and I don't always have the nutrition label in front of me to make sure.

What I do (when things are slow and I have the extra time to make sure everything is right) is create a basic recipe (on the "FOOD" - "Recipe" page, click "Add Recipe Manually") that includes all the possible ingredient variations for a certain dish. For example, I have a recipe labeled "Fajitas", this has ground meat (2 types), ribeye, shrimp, and chicken breast (and thighs) all listed under the same recipe, plus I have the different types of tortillas I may use (corn, wheat, carb-options, large, small, etc.). Then each time I prepare the meal I just go in and edit all of the quantities to what I actually used. For those items that I'm not using I set the quantities near 0 (zero)...MFP will not allow a zero value, instead you will need to set it to .0001 or something similar. This will bring all of the counts (calories, carbs, protein, etc.) down to zero for that ingredient...if it doesn't and the quantity unit reads "cups" or "pounds" then try setting it to something smaller like "tablespoons/teaspoons" or "ounces/grams" instead.

The good thing is that each time you change the recipe it does not affect any of your old diary entries that use the same recipe. You can even make the same dish 2 or more different ways (using different ingredients) in the same day (even in the same time slot...lunch, dinner, etc.). Just set your ingredient quantities, log the entry, then set the quantities differently and log the entry again. MFP will keep the settings for the recipe separate, using whatever the values were at the time that you actually logged the recipe. IMPORTANT: If you are adding an altered recipe do not select it from the "RECENT" tab (this will use the values from the last "logged" recipe), instead you should add it from the "RECIPES" tab...that will get you the latest values from your last edit.

Hope this helps someone and wasn't too confusing...let me know if you have any questions.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014
    Author: @angela233Z

September 19, 2014 10:22 PM

Orlcam, great idea - but you can use my meals for that. So save a meal as fajitas, with meats, tortillas etc. Then add to appropriate day/time and delete whatever you are not using, and adjust quantities.

I use recipes for true recipes, that way if i eat 1.5 servings, I just put in 1.5 and it adjust quantities on each individual ingredient.

Thanks so much for all of your recipes.
    September 19, 2014 10:48 PM

Agreed, it can be done both ways, and if I have a meal that is made up of just a few items I go that route, but each time you add/subtract or change a quantity the page reloads (with ads). The recipes' edit page doesn't do that. It's all just a matter of preference, the more ingredients in the meal the more likely I am to go the recipe route.

No problem on the recipes, hopefully they'll help someone down the line.
    Author: @jknight001
    October 1, 2014 11:52 AM

@orlcam - The MFP app lets you scan barcodes. This can be a life saver in terms of adding ingredients. I also think your idea is good - to create recipes and meals so that one does not need to re-enter individual items each time creates a diary entry.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014
    Waffles Sticks
    Full Recipe: about 2.5 cups at 651 calories
    Per Stick: makes ~22 mini waffle sticks at 30 cal per
    Per Waffle: should make ~6 full size waffles at 109 cal per

I wound up ordering a few things from Amazon last week...I bought one of those spiral slicers ($13) everyone is swooning over, plus I bought a mini doughnut maker($14) and a Babycakes mini waffle stick maker ($10). After seeing this healthy-ish donut recipe I wanted to try and come up with a good low-cal variation...so I ordered some stone ground spelt flour and garbonzo bean flour as well.

To tell you the truth, after I mixed the ingredients it tasted bad...metallic. It may have been that the yogurt/sour cream or the extracts reacted with the stainless steel bowl I was using (or my new stevia brand), but once I cooked the batter in the waffle maker that taste was completely gone...and they were great! After a 42+ hour fast I ate all 22 waffle sticks with some Mrs. Butterworth's Sugar Free syrup (+20 cal) and I felt pretty stuffed. I could see eating these on a fast day...1/3 of the recipe for a breakfast, or 20 sticks for my one big meal for under 600 cal. Great protein and fiber too.

The longer you leave these in the waffle maker (don't burn 'em) the crispier they get and the better they are...in my opinion.

Ingredients:
    • 1 tbsp, Daisy Sour Cream, Light (20 cal)
    • 1 tbsp, Great Value Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt (8)
    • 3/4 cup, Blue Diamond Unsweet Almond Milk (23)
    • 1 tsp, Vanilla extract (12)
    • 1/2 tsp, Pure Almond Extract (0)
    • 1 tbsp, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Light - Melted (45)
    • 1/16 tsp, Pure Stevia Extract Powder (0)
    • 1 large, Egg - Whole, raw (74)
    • 1/4 tsp, Salt - Coarse Kosher (0) or to taste
    • 3/4 cup, Bob's Red Mill Spelt Flour (360)
    • 1/4 cup, Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour (110)
    • 1 tsp, Baking Powder (0)
    (Cal 651, Fat 18, Carbs 86, Sugars 5, Fiber 17, Protein 27, Sodium 1,220 mg per recipe)
    (Cal 30, Fat 1, Carbs 1, Sugars 0, Fiber 1, Protein 1, Sodium 55 mg per stick)

Directions: Mix all your wet ingredients well, then mix in the rest of the ingredients. I used an electric mixer for about 3 minutes to get it nice and fluffy/smooth. Heat your waffle maker (I did not have to use any spray/oil, they came right out), add your batter and cook till nicely done (crispy). Serve hot.

Options: You can use 2 egg whites instead of the whole egg and save on calories. If you have some extra flours in your pantry then try them out...soy, almond, whole wheat...all should work well. Top with sugar free syrup, fruit, and/or low-cal whipped topping...just like regular waffles. You could use this recipe for donuts as well, but I would cut down on the almond milk...use about 1/3 of a cup, and possibly double the stevia to sweeten it up more (lemon juice/zest would be great too).

Here's a lot of other healthy donut recipes from the same site as above.

Enjoy
  • orlcam
    Waffle Sticks (update)

I made them again today (in a glass bowl) and found out the metallic taste (iron?) was actually coming from the garbanzo bean flour, but as I said before...once the batter was cooked that taste completely disappeared.

I just did some research (googled it) and it appears this is common among bean flours.
  • Foamroller
    Cabbage chips recipe from Marks daily apple
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cabbage-chips/#axzz3Ii5D1MoY

Looked very tempting to me.
  • Foamroller
    Avocado with apple cider vinegar

I eat a small avocado each day now for the healthy fats. Scooping out the meat weighed in at 77 gram = 123 kcal. But you also get a bonus 5g fiber:) 1/2 tbs of Apple cider vinegar, fresh ground black pepper and himalaya salt. Sometimes I also add 4 pickled silver onions.

I read somewhere that eating vinegar together with fats, cuts through it, making it easier to digest. No idea if that's true, but it's very tasty!

This might not be the best snack on FD, but maybe lunch?

t1i43gsm0myk.jpg
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    bumping
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    bumping
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    bump for newbies
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member