Breaking News! Egg "fast" Diet Test Results

Options
deansdad101
deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
Just about every time I glance at the TV there's a crawl line blasting out "Breaking News".
99 times out of 100 it's either "old" news or on the order of "the paint is dry".

Seems to me that many of the posts here have much more import on "real" people's lives so why not hijack the term (not that this post qualifies since it's probably closer to the paint drying end of the spectrum, but hey.....

Anyway, after my 3 day "egg fest", the results are, shall we say, less than "spectacular".

I began the eggperiment (sorry, just had to get that out of my system) to try and determine if (in my case), I could confirm the results others have reported both in increased, short term weight loss and the "plateau busting" effects of the "fast".

I have a bit of a problem with the term "egg fast" since (unless I'm misunderstanding how it's supposed to be implemented) - it's not a "fast" (by definition), words don't change their meanings just because they are misused over and over again.

Understand that "my" results are about as far from a "controlled" test as one can possibly get if for no other reason (and there are many others) than that I altered a number of variables - not just the one (eggs), so take them (results) with a very large grain of salt.

Details:
Duration was 3 days (W-F) during which my diet consisted exclusively of eggs, cheese, butter, broth, coffee, lemon water, and coconut oil (in the coffee), - that's it.

6-7 eggs per day, "meals" generally equal portions of eggs/cheese/butter - 2 eggs/2 oz cheese/ 2 tbls butter.

Average Total Cals/day = 1576
Total Carbs/day = 8g / 2%
Fat/day = 139g = 79%
Protein/day = 72g = 19%

Total weight loss = 1.0# (170.2 11/12 - 169.2 11/15)

Daily Cal Intake Target = 1270
I didn't calculate "actual" average cal intake over the last 90 days but looking at the graph the actual average would be somewhat under 1270, probably closer to 1200+or-

Actual Total Cal Intake 11/12-14 = 1576

Average Weight loss/week (previous 180 days) = 0.92# (0.1316#/day)

"Quick" summary of the results:
  1. Total Loss (1#/0.33#/day) exceeded historical average/day significantly (0.33 vs 0.13)
  2. Increased loss/day occurred in spite of ~300 cal/day increase in caloric intake
  3. Did not see anything like the 4-5# loss others have experienced - but neither do I expect to see a couple pound "regain" after returning to original diet (we'll see).

I can't draw any conclusions from these results as to the "stall" breaking effects, both because I don't consider my historical loss profile as currently being in a "stall" (the graph is fairly "straight line"), and because I think those effects will turn out to be "very" dependent on the individual.

As to the "quick" weight loss, while my results demonstrated a "significant" (in the common, not scientific, use of that term) difference (almost 3X) - in "real" terms (1# in 3 days vs 0.9#/wk) it's almost meaningless (and might even not hold up over time).

So, "would you do it again or recommend it to others?"

Yes, I probably will do it again, but this time for a longer duration (5 days?) and keeping total cals closer to my actual average. Limiting my menu to eggs isn't a problem for me since I love them and while variety is great, it's not really an imposition (or a challenge) for me to limit it.

But, unless I actually do hit a "stall" (which I have only once in the past 180 days) there's really no way my experiment will offer any meaningful insight to those who have.

So, in the end about the only real "take-away" from this exercise is that, FOR ME, I can increase cal intake (by ~300/day) ON THIS MENU, without negatively impacting weight loss - at least in the "short term".

Whether or not that would hold true when returning to my "normal" LCHF menu - remains to be seen.

As to other "markers" (that I can measure reliably) I saw little to no effect day to day.

"Satiety" levels didn't change (I almost had to "force down" the last of one of the 3 egg omelets on the day I hit the highest cal intake)

Both blood glucose and ketone levels remained "consistent" with previous readings throughout.

I don't have the capability to measure cholesterol levels (mostly because I don't believe that doing so is worth the extra "stab") or TG's (which I would like to have but rely on the doc for).

Past "intellectual curiosity" I'm not sure what value this brings to most but it's out there so interpret the results as they might apply to your individual situation and do with them what you will (or not<g>).

Replies

• middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Cool.
    wonder if you can update again after a few days of getting back on your regular diet.
  • deansdad101
    Options
    Cool.
    wonder if you can update again after a few days of getting back on your regular diet.
    Mid;

Sure I will (long as I remember - brains cells not exactly all lined up in nice neat, little rows as they once were (I think) anymore.
    And you know what the say about memory being the first errrr, second thing to go <G>.

170.0 this am which pretty much wipes out any loss.
    BUT, considering the 300+ cal increase/day - not too shabby.

AM glucose and ketones both in real good shape (a little better than usual but not markedly, 82 & 2.3).

A 1# (up or down) change per day is, for me, almost a "guarantee" so I pay it no mind.

As long my weeklies continue to show >0.5# drop, I'm a happy camper.

I'll update in a couple days but not expecting any major changes one way or the other.
  • middleagedmeh
    Options
    thanks. i will check back.
  • Lindseymofo
    Lindseymofo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try this!! I read in a few places that the calories should be closer to 1000 during the fast...that kept me from doing it lol
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....I do love eggs but I wonder if I would get sick of them!
    Maybe I'll try. I will post if I do :smile:
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I feel a little done with eggs right now.. and lettuce is a little too blah, too. I am into cabbage and broccoli and the moment .. that may account for that large cloud of methane gas that has been in the news lately
  • deansdad101
    Options
    thanks. i will check back.
    Mid;

Follow up report.

Now a week out here are the "final" results.

Wed 11/12 (start of EF) = 170.2
    Sat 11/15 (end of EF) = 169.2
    11/8 (start of 2 week period) = 170.0
    Today 11/22 (1 week out) = 169.0

1# loss for the EF period (11/12-15) BUT with ~300 cal/day increase
    0.5#/week loss for two week period before and after EF (170-169=1/2)

During EF weight fluctuated from 168.8 to 170.2
    Week following EF weight from 169.0 to 171.4 with trend down last two days

What does it mean (for me)?
    Probably not much.

The minimal loss during and following the EF must be considered in light of the significant (300 cal/day) intake. Had intake been held constant I have no doubt the short term loss would have been somewhat greater. How much? Who knows.

At the end of the two week period I'm essentially back "on track" with the historical trend I've been seeing for the last couple months (on LCHF, Fat Adapted) = ~0.5#/week loss.

1# loss (during EF) was countered by 2.4# gain/loss variation week following EF resulting in net 1.0# loss for the 2 week period = 0.5#/week loss average overall (closely matching historical).

The substantial calorie "in" variation (almost 25% increase) renders any direct comparison almost meaningless except to say that I could increase cals, combined with the EF, and maintain a similar loss pattern. It's only a "guess" but I think the results would not have been the same without the EF (increased cals "in" but kept menu the same).

Pretty much all of the day to day fluctuations were in the range of "normal" (for me), before and after the EF. So here again I don't think the EF really had much effect - except for the extra 300 cals.

Given that "most" folks who report outcomes on the EF typically lose more than I did (short term) but then regain a portion of the loss, I'm guessing my results aren't all that much different than "most" (again, with the exception of the cal increase).

I've never been a true "believer" in the "you aren't eating enough cals" doctrine and to some degree these results validate my belief BUT it's certainly NOT "conclusive" - too many variables at play to draw any valid conclusions (and I place very little "faith" in the BMR/TDEE and cal "in" numbers being even close to accurate).

Throughout the period (with daily monitoring) BP, BS, and BHOP ketone levels remained essentially unchanged (within "typical" range).

The one really critical issue that I was not able to address was the EF's ability to "break" a "stall" - which, arguably is the single most important issue as that is the reason that "most" try it in the first place.

Another "guess" on my part but I "think" it will probably work for that for "some", and not for others. So if it does for you, great - if not, there's really nothing lost by trying, it can't hurt.

As to becoming "egged out", it didn't happen for me, BUT I've always loved eggs and the EF was absolutely no "imposition" from that standpoint (first thing I did was make a big plate of deviled eggs a day after ending the EF).

Final results - a "fun" exercise but inconclusive results in my particular case. This is NOT to say others might not experience different results (especially if keeping cals in the same).

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    kkimpel wrote: »
    I feel a little done with eggs right now.. and lettuce is a little too blah, too. I am into cabbage and broccoli and the moment .. that may account for that large cloud of methane gas that has been in the news lately

LoL....this made me laugh...
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    kkimpel wrote: »

LoL....this made me laugh...

because you know it happens.. So excited about eating good with raw veges then.. yea.. oops.. sorry honey
  • middleagedmeh
    Options
    gas is a reason i don't abuse eggs or cheese. I feel i am hurting the environment when i do.
    I say for every 20 eggs we eat, we should plant a tree :-)
  • deansdad101
    Options
    gas is a reason i don't abuse eggs or cheese. I feel i am hurting the environment when i do.
    I say for every 20 eggs we eat, we should plant a tree :-)
    Mid;

Light it, heat your house in winter.

Recycle!!!