Should I Buy?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
I was 314 lbs :'( on the day I started the diet. Which means (all morbidly obese people know this) that I had to purchase my clothes online at the "Big & Fat" stores. Most normal brick & mortar retailers stop at 2X shirts and 54ish size pants. Now, I weigh 268ish. :D I saved some smaller pants (from 8 or so years ago and I weighed much less), and am wearing them now.

I am going to Texas this Saturday for a week. I am thinking about buying a slew of 2X shirts. I think I can fit into them now and I think I can readily find that size.

Should I go on a shirt buying spree? :)

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dooooo eeeeeett!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing the clothes that were snug almost 70lbs ago. Swimming in them. I bought just a couple pieces to tide me the next 30lbs of loss. It's really remarkable the difference in how I look and feel now wearing those new pants and couple shirts. I wouldn't say go nuts, but DO get yourself some new duds.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    I wore my t-shirts from 375 and the one pair of shorts I owned that were marginally smaller until it got cool enough for pants, lol. I now own two pairs of jeans, two 3/4 sleeve shirts (I hate women's clothing, btw, where the hell are normal long sleeves ffs?), and a couple sweaters. These will have to do me until spring, at which point I will hopefully be swimming in them again!

Er... go! Buy 4-5 t-shirts in 2x. Hell, buy em at Wal-mart, because by spring you'll need xl!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I say reward yourself by looking very handsome. You are succeeding! Buy some new shirts and pants, belt, and even shoes, if your feet have lost weight, too. Mine sure have!
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy some good fitting clothes you will feel spectacular and look better :) i'm in the same boat as nicsflyingcircus, i buy a few pieces to get by.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    You might also want to check out the local thrift stores/consignments/goodwills and the like. They are great for while you are in-betweenie and your weight is still on the move. You get new duds at a discount, that you don't have to feel bad about not wearing out before they are too big on you again!

The stores we have out by me always have clothes that are "like new" "gently used" or sometimes still new with the tags on. You can get some really great stuff on the cheap that way.

I've purchased some super nice dresses for summer, cruise wear, and so forth that way. You get your "reward", and extra jingle in your pocket....use the extra cash to buy something cool from your trip, or a big ole' Texas steak.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do a full out shopping spree if you are still working on losing weight - but 1 or 2 nice fitting outfits should hold you over until you get around to the next size / goal - and even when you hit your weight goal, give it some time before you replenish your wardrobe. My body kept adjusting even after I started maintenance -- I went from a woman's 4x (26/28) down to a S/M (size 4/6) and had to buy work clothes and trip clothes a couple of times (when I started maintenance, I was around a size 8 - luckily I did a trade with a friend at that point so was able to not have to buy clothes then)
  • juliegetshealthy
    juliegetshealthy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with shaynepoole, but one or two outfits that fit, because before too long you will be in 1X! With the two new outfits your will feel fresh and spiffy until the next size change.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    You might also want to check out the local thrift stores/consignments/goodwills and the like. They are great for while you are in-betweenie and your weight is still on the move. You get new duds at a discount, that you don't have to feel bad about not wearing out before they are too big on you again!

The stores we have out by me always have clothes that are "like new" "gently used" or sometimes still new with the tags on. You can get some really great stuff on the cheap that way.

I've purchased some super nice dresses for summer, cruise wear, and so forth that way. You get your "reward", and extra jingle in your pocket....use the extra cash to buy something cool from your trip, or a big ole' Texas steak.

Excellent idea.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    What great ideas! I will probably buy 2-3 shirts then. I have a Goodwill store near, maybe I can check that out also.

Dan the Man from Smaller Shirts Land
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    YES...you deserve it. Maybe not a bunch, but a couple will get you through until you get to a smaller size.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Fantastic success, first of all! Congrats! I say get a few shirts, and then donate a number of your old ones to charity.
  • TheTrophyWife
    TheTrophyWife Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Any time that I've lost or gained weight I've kept my clothes out of paranoia. I've also had people who have lost weight give me clothes that were too big for them but also way too big for me (I was never a 32 but I have 32s). Now, I'm shopping in my own closet but I don't ever intend to go back. I'm packing up the 32s and anything else that's falling off me and I'm dropping it at the Goodwill. I try to shop there but I can never find anything in my size. I always thought that fat people as a whole were afraid to give up their fat clothes. I wish I could consign the really nice things, though. I would truly like to find a young up and coming fashion school student who needs experience repurposing and resizing clothes. That way, I can keep the stuff I really love like my favorite jeans which now sag around my hips.

With all of that said, go get you some new shirts, Dan! Be bold and get a color you normally wouldn't wear. I don't mean hot pink but I bet you'd look good in it!

#newshirtsforDan
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Go for it! You deserve a reward!
    ::flowerforyou::
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I'm heading to Texas now. I only took two shirts with me. Gonna buy a couple colored shirts. I like color. I'll take a pic and upload later.

Dan the Man from Michigan formerly a Texan
  • DittoDan
    Options
    An update: Went to Macy's on one day and found some 2X shirts. I was worried when I only saw the term, "Slim Fit" on them also. So I went to fitting room. No way! They were too small, I think they were for "tall" 2X people, not "fat" 2X people. I was depressed, cause I didn't have a lot of time to visit other stores. So maybe its time to buy some 2X from KingSize (online)...

My depression soon turned to joy when I got back from Texas and did my first weigh-in (6 days since last weigh-in). Lost 5.25 lbs! Can't figure out why, except that I moved a lot more than normal. I didn't exercise, but did more walking. One day we went hiking to this state park in Texas called, "Hamilton Pool". You walk down a hillside (tree covered) for a long while. All the time I was thinking, "My kids are going to have to carry me out of this place, or call for a helicopter", but I made it back out after resting several times on the upward trek. I think the map said it was a quarter of a mile down to the pool. Probably one or two hundred feet elevation change. The pool was spectacular. Here is a pic: (if look closely, you can see a couple people in it ~ shows how big this place is!)

4gii67z723bv.jpg

I did eat more carbs, but kept the calories around my goal. I'll probably gain some back in the next few days, but I still am trending downward. God is good...

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    An update: Went to Macy's on one day and found some 2X shirts. I was worried when I only saw the term, "Slim Fit" on them also. So I went to fitting room. No way! They were too small, I think they were for "tall" 2X people, not "fat" 2X people. I was depressed, cause I didn't have a lot of time to visit other stores. So maybe its time to buy some 2X from KingSize (online)...

We've run into this problem a few times while buying shirts for my dad. He's also a 2XL in the Big & Tall department online. If we just go to regular clothes 2XL, they're 6 inches short of buttoning. Sometimes the sizing seems to be like a juniors section aimed at teenage/twenty-something (skinny) guys.

It could also just be different brands. Women deal with this all the time. Some brands consider a women's size 14-16 as a Large and some think a 10 Large and a 14-16 is 2XL. It's entirely possible that it is just the manufacturer.

For my dad, we've found that JCPenney's men's Big & Tall has some good options and often we find shirts that are <$20 for nice button downs. You just have to try them on and be willing to return stuff that doesn't work. The joys of a changing body :neutral_face: