Your Favorite Way to Eat Eggs?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
O my gosh. I just boiled 8 eggs and made deviled eggs. Was going to take them to work for the next days. Unfortunately four (8 halves) didn't make it to the fridge :o Darn, I hate that when that happens. LOL! They were so good! Have you ever done that?

I was thinking of all the ways you can cook eggs. I like them all, it's hard for me to pick a favorite way to have my eggs. Deviled eggs are near the top and omelettes with sausage is another. But then there's eggs with hollandaise sauce on it....

What is your favorite way to eat eggs? How many do you eat at a time?

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• 5Lloyd90
    5Lloyd90 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Before I had easy internet access my diet was basically lots and lots of eggs with various fats and occasionally bacon. Seriously. There were weeks where I would go through 7 dozen by myself and my wife was convinced I was going to die.

I didn't eat them for 7 months after that, but am back to eating them regularly. Usually 3 at a time, sunny side up cooked "over medium" so they're less flimsy and can be eaten by hand. Its my "quick" breakfast. 3 eggs cooked as above and some type of fat bomb that was pre-made and frozen.

Why cooked like that? Because I didn't know how to cook them like that until now and its the only way I'm not burned out on for now! :D
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,500 Member
    Options
    Scrambled in butter with cheddar and bacon or ham.

Fried over easy in butter with crispy bacon to dip in the yolk (dinner tonight).

Fried, between over medium and hard, with thin sliced cheddar melted on top.

Soft boiled with butter and lots of salt and pepper.

Hard boiled and/or deviled.

Denver omelet or ham and cheese omelet.
  • melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I buy 3 dozen (sometimes 4) eggs every week. I have recently discovered making my own pesto...sooooo yummy! I tried it in my eggs scrambled in butter and I almost thought I had went to heaven!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Scrambled in butter (usually 4, with about 2-3tbsp butter, but I've been having 6 this week, since we have...like...no food due to a bunch of holiday traveling). Topped with cheese (usually cheddar) and/or sour cream and/or cream cheese if I have it around. That's my go-to when I cook them at home, because I fail at omelets (I've come to call mine "om-wrecks," because it looks like a couple of farm trucks collided).

Eating at Bob Evans is a common occurrence around here (I live about 5 miles away from their HQ and about an hour from the original farm; I kid you not, there are more Bob Evans around here than Starbucks). My usual meal there is either their Western omelet -- cheese, ham, green and red peppers, and onions -- or Border Scramble -- sausage, cheese, home fries, onions, tomatoes -- both topped with sour cream. It's actually been going pretty great with a side salad (greens, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, cheese) and ranch dressing. Occasionally, I'll get one of their "farm breakfasts" -- eggs and sausage, and sometimes another thing (the larger meals usually come with hashbrowns, but you can get other stuff) -- I just do scrambled with those (notice a pattern, yet? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

I'm also a huge fan of egg nog, and have found a couple of recipes that are fantastic.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-eggnog/ (accounts for diary free, small amount of natural sugar, lightly cooked)
    http://www.intoxicatedonlife.com/2012/12/21/low-carb-eggnog/ (raw, uses cream by default, sweetened with xylitol and stevia)

I've also been known to drink Mark's version of Bulletproof Coffee, which includes a couple eggs or egg yolks -- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/ -- like BPC, it's actually a lot better than it sounds like it should be.

And, of course, mayo -- http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

I'm not a fan of hardboiled yolks or runny yolks, but I like some deviled egg recipes and love cooked whites, and love the nutrients from the yolks and just eating whites has always felt wasteful to me for a million reasons. So...I eat a lot of scrambled or otherwise whisked/whipped eggs. :smiley:
  • DittoDan
    Options
    melissa968 wrote: »
    I buy 3 dozen (sometimes 4) eggs every week. I have recently discovered making my own pesto...sooooo yummy! I tried it in my eggs scrambled in butter and I almost thought I had went to heaven!

Hi Melissa, forgive my ignorance (I'm always the last to know on some subjects) but tell me what pesto is? (yes, I could google it, but I'd rather be social)... :D

• jacklynb46
    jacklynb46 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like them all ways,but love love an omelette with ham,green peppers,mushrooms and cheese mmm
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs five days a week on average, usually in the form of a 2-egg omelet for breakfast. Favorite combinations:
    • spinach and goat cheese
    • ham, broccoli, and cheddar
    • pepperoni and mozzarella (with a little marinara on top)
    • chorizo sausage and jalapeno
    • cream cheese and sauteed mushrooms

I almost always fry them in duck fat and dress it with a big blob of butter on top.

duck_fat_eggs.jpg
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Deviled eggs all the way!! (with real bacon bits) :)
  • DittoDan
    Options
    SteveKroll wrote: »
    I eat eggs five days a week on average, usually in the form of a 2-egg omelet for breakfast. Favorite combinations:

I almost always fry them in duck fat and dress it with a big blob of butter on top.

Hi Steve, I forgot about chorizo, I love that in my eggs! I am originally from Texas and my dad would fix that for my breakfast.

I'm gonna have to find a place to buy that up here in Michigan. Maybe Wal-mart?

Thanks,

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    We have a hobby farm so our 23 chickens, 3 ducks and a turkey are all free range and eat fresh veggies everyday. So we have a ton of eggs and I eat them every single day.

- Deviled eggs are always a hit here, especially with a little dill pickle relish
    - Omelets with bacon, sausage, ham, mushrooms, spinach, kale, cheese, onions, avocado and sometimes sour cream on top.
    - Scrambled eggs with lots of cheese and bacon or ham
    - In a mu shu pork i make with napa cabbage
    - Warm hard boiled eggs
    - Egg nog, Dragonwolf has a good low carb recipe we love!
    - German pancakes, like crepes and we add lemon juice and a tiny bit of powdered sugar, good low carb
    - Cream cheese pancakes, eggs and cream cheese blended together to get a nice batter
    - Kielbasa and eggs scrambled together
    - I use a lot of almond flour for baking since its a good LC substitute for wheat flour so many of our cookies, cakes, muffins and such are made with almond flour and eggs
    - Crustless Quiche with spinach, mushrooms, avocado, eggs, heavy cream

I am loving all the ideas here tho, since we have so many eggs im always looking for new things to try with them.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    We have a hobby farm so our 23 chickens, 3 ducks and a turkey are all free range and eat fresh veggies everyday. So we have a ton of eggs and I eat them every single day.

- Deviled eggs are always a hit here, especially with a little dill pickle relish
    - Omelets with bacon, sausage, ham, mushrooms, spinach, kale, cheese, onions, avocado and sometimes sour cream on top.
    - Scrambled eggs with lots of cheese and bacon or ham
    - In a mu shu pork i make with napa cabbage
    - Warm hard boiled eggs
    - Egg nog, Dragonwolf has a good low carb recipe we love!
    - German pancakes, like crepes and we add lemon juice and a tiny bit of powdered sugar, good low carb
    - Cream cheese pancakes, eggs and cream cheese blended together to get a nice batter
    - Kielbasa and eggs scrambled together
    - I use a lot of almond flour for baking since its a good LC substitute for wheat flour so many of our cookies, cakes, muffins and such are made with almond flour and eggs
    - Crustless Quiche with spinach, mushrooms, avocado, eggs, heavy cream

I am loving all the ideas here tho, since we have so many eggs im always looking for new things to try with them.

WOW! A lot I have never heard about before... I am particularly interested in the Cream Cheese pancakes, they sound yummy. Can you give me a recipe for that? I usually eat three eggs @ time. How much cream cheese? Anything else?

Thank you!

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I might have gotten the recipe off mfp, im not sure.

2 oz cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1 packet stevia (if desired)

Mix well in a blender. Pour batter into hot well buttered pan.

We usually eat them with butter and a tad of jam but they are good with syrup or anything else you'd like on pancakes.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I love an omelette, if I have time. However, I really love a soft boiled egg or a poached egg with some salt, herbs, spices or peri peri sauce on it. I never used to like the softer, runnier texture of them but my tastes have changed over time for some reason. All the options above are great though!!
    I also drink BPC (or my version of it) everyday, and I always add a egg yolk to it. It's delicious and really complements the drink. I put unsalted butter, coconut or MCT oil, a bit of cream and an egg yolk in and I'm full for hours!
    I'm very lucky that I have access to fresh, home laid eggs from my family, so that might account for my love of them too.....
  • ScottLynn98
    ScottLynn98 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    3 raw eggs
    2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1/3 cup Kraken black spiced rum
    put in the blender a couple seconds and enjoy!!

Happy New Year!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    I might have gotten the recipe off mfp, im not sure.

2 oz cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1 packet stevia (if desired)

Mix well in a blender. Pour batter into hot well buttered pan.

We usually eat them with butter and a tad of jam but they are good with syrup or anything else you'd like on pancakes.

That sounds easy enough. I'll try it tomorrow for breakfast. Thank you and have a good new year! :D

• DittoDan
    Options

Steve, that looks good... I have one question. Is goat cheese a strong or mild tasting cheese? (Mozzarella = mild)

Thank you and have a good new year!

Dan the man from Michigan
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    poached, with sea salt.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Steve, that looks good... I have one question. Is goat cheese a strong or mild tasting cheese? (Mozzarella = mild)
    It's somewhat like cream cheese in texture, but with a stronger flavor. It's not near as strong as, say, blue cheese, though.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    It's somewhat like cream cheese in texture, but with a stronger flavor. It's not near as strong as, say, blue cheese, though.

I agree. Goat cheese (fresh, not aged) is similar to cream cheese or even feta cheese in texture depending on if you get a creamy goat or a log. It's got a slightly tangy taste to it, whereas cream cheese is a little sweet, and feta is super salty, goat is a good in between flavor. I find it pairs well with lots of foods, esp. pears. Yum!
  • TenderWalnut
    TenderWalnut Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Over easy on top of a big fat pan fried sirloin for dinner