Putting Chocolate Back Together

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
This recipe is for Chocolate lovers.

A lot of fat bombs are made out of coconut oil. I wondered if I used Cocoa Butter instead ~ if it would make the fat bomb taste more like real chocolate? I looked at the nutritional facts about it. It basically is the same as other pure oils like Coconut oil.

So I went to bulkapothecary.com and bought some.

And, just like coconut oil and Olive oil ~ you can get the refined type (that has little or no cocoa taste) or the “pressed virgin” type that has a full cocoa butter taste. My first experiment was with the refined type and I replaced half of the “refined coconut oil” with cocoa butter. It basically tasted the same as a wholly coconut oil fat bomb. At least I couldn’t taste much difference.

So, on the next experiment, I used a lot of the virgin cocoa butter, not using any coconut oil. That was the trick. It now tastes much chocolatier. I used Splenda for the sweetener. I also wanted to put heavy whipping cream, but I didn’t have any. So I substituted Cool Whip.

So here is the recipe:
  • 112 Grams (8 tbsp.) Cocoa Butter
  • 40 Grams (8 tbsps.) Unsweetened Cocoa powder (I recommend Ghirardelli brand, Hershey’s tastes burnt to me.)
  • 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) Butter
  • 4 tbsp. (18g) Cool Whip (or heavy whipping cream)
  • 2-3 servings of Mixed nuts or almonds or cashews or pecans or peanuts or leave the nuts out
  • 4 or 5 Splenda packets (or use Stevia, or liquid sweetener of your choice)

Place butter and cocoa butter in container and microwave it until it melts. Stir. Add Cool Whip, stir until all of it is melted/mixed together (heat a little more if necessary).
Put Cocoa powder and sweetener in. Stir it a little to submerse/wet the powder. Immersion blend it on LOW ~ or HIGH if you want to splatter it all over the place (like I did).

Notes:
  • I highly recommend using a digital scale to weigh your ingredients for consistency and accurate reporting to MFP.
  • Whenever I use powdered Splenda or Stevia, I use a hand held immersion blender and mix it well. If I mix it with a spoon, I notice when I scoop out the last spoonfuls, the sweetener is covering the bottom of the cup. I am going to purchase some liquid sweetener soon.
  • I recently purchased a silicone mold (24) impressions in the mold. I highly recommend it, but if you don’t have one, use a muffin tin and line the holes with cupcake papers.
  • I have heard you can use Ice cube molds, but I wouldn’t pour it too deep, or you’re gonna have a hard time biting into it.
  • I line the bottom of the mold with nuts, then after blending the mixture, I use a teaspoon and spoon it over the nuts, filling to top of mold.

Cocoa butter has a higher melt temp than coconut oil (I think around body temp), so you don’t have to freeze them, you can put them in the refrigerator. I also took some in a container to work and left on my desk for four hours. I wanted to see how firm they would be. I was able to pick it up, but it was really soft. I may eliminate the butter completely out on the next batch and use only cocoa butter next time to see if it is more firm.

Bon appétit!

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    god this sounds divine. i bought some the other day as i LOVE coconut butter, but it wasnt in the car when i got home and fear it got misplaced on the way home. Devastated.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've used ice cube trays for cream cheese clouds and coconut oil based cough drops. It works well, actually, though may depend on how hard the cocoa butter freezes. Depending on the consistency of the "batter" before freezing, you can also put it in an icing bag and pipe it onto a cookie sheet or into your molds.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When i make the coconut oil ones, i switch them from the freezer to the fridge once they are set (overnightish)...they stay solid but not frozen, edible and the consistency is yummy. Thank you for the recipe. I might have to try this and i never try anything!!!!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    This is great dan, thanks. I have a large bag of cocoa butter i've been trying to figure out what to do with.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    This is great dan, thanks. I have a large bag of cocoa butter i've been trying to figure out what to do with.

One thing I failed to mention is that Cocoa butter is harder than coconut oil. So you may want to put your cocoa butter in a container, then place the container in a warm bowl of water to soften it up.

I hope this helps,

• nill4me
    Options
    Yeah definitely. It came in chunks
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    i made a nice chocolate fat bomb last night, and its so hot here that even the coco butter was runny.!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    i made a nice chocolate fat bomb last night, and its so hot here that even the coco butter was runny.!

They do have fridges down under? ;) Did it taste good?
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I tried to do this myself . I can't wait to try your recipe! Have the cocoa butter, was looking to try something else.Thanks!
  • nill4me
    Options
    I've used my cacao butter to make both dark and white chocolate this weekend.
    In the dark, I added some chopped brazil nuts for selenium, and sea salt. In the white I used vanilla bean paste and raspberry extract. Thanks for the Inspiration Dan!!
  • nill4me
    Options
    for some reason my raspberry white chocolate didn't set up as well. it was kinda gummy on the bottom of the molds. i'm not sure why....if its the extract or maybe the vanilla bean paste. still tasty...just weird looking now.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Going to have to try this!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Best diet tip ever! :)
  • nill4me
    Options
    So now I'm sitting in a hotel room wishing i had remembered to pack that chocolate I made. AHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    for some reason my raspberry white chocolate didn't set up as well. it was kinda gummy on the bottom of the molds. i'm not sure why....if its the extract or maybe the vanilla bean paste. still tasty...just weird looking now.

Yeah, I fail on "food presentation", fortunantly my tongue hasn't noticed...

I like your idea with the raspberries, will try....

• nill4me
    Options
    Me too Dan...quite often. I'm also going to do a dark with orange. maybe put in some orange zest. The one where i put in the cayenne is zippy.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Me too Dan...quite often. I'm also going to do a dark with orange. maybe put in some orange zest. The one where i put in the cayenne is zippy.
    I was thinking about adding lemon or orange zest to a coconut + coconut oil fat bomb. When I made the above recipe, I noticed that just un-refined Coconut oil and shredded coconut taste great all by its self. Then flavor it by zesting it up... Can you buy orange or lemon zest? Or do yo have to buy a real orange or lemon and grate it yourself?

ps I don't know about the cayenne zippy thing! :s

• oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    ps I don't know about the cayenne zippy thing! :s

You should give it a try - it's surprisingly good, chocolate and chili or cayenne. As for pre-zested, there's stuff out there but I like fresh, you get the flavor from the citrus oils.
  • shuttlebug1
    shuttlebug1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been making fat bombs with equal parts coconut oil and 86% dark chocolate. 10g of the 86% chocolate only has 1.4g of sugar. I melt these together, then add 1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream. It's surprisingly sweet enough, without the nasty taste of artificial sweeteners (which I cannot stand in any amount).
  • nill4me
    Options
    Its quite good...the cayenne and chocolate....but admittedly not for everyone...lol