Hirsutism?

Options
Please feel free to post your hair removal routine. I am looking for alternatives to get rid of that annoying body hair some of us PCOS suffer from. Currently I have been shaving my arms but the hair grows back that day and having very sensitive skin, I get ingrown hair or irritated quite easily. I tweeze the few hairs that have grown on my chin, but I do have dark hair on my cheeks under my eyes and I'm wondering how to get rid of it without getting laser hair removal. Does laser hair removal work? Does losing weight reduce hair growth? Anything will help!
Also I am new to this group, so feel free to add me. :)

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I do not have a major problem with hair but my daughter does. I pluck the two i get on my chin but she's a hairy girl. She bleaches her mustache and has to shave her legs and armpits every other day at least.

I know there are others here who have had a hard time with the hair. I know others will have better ideas.

BUT once you get your hormones in order the hair is better. If you read thru a lot of the posts here you will see that most of us benefit greatly from using things like Inositol, Metformin, Spiro, and a LCHF diet. All of these things can greatly improve your hormone imbalance and that can help the hair issues.

Hope someone here can give you better ideas than me. Welcome to the PCOSer!
  • ShrinkingBerry
    ShrinkingBerry Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and trying read a bunch of posts. What is LCHF?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Low Carb High Fat (and moderate protein). It is a way of eating that helps many with PCOS, particularly those with insulin resistance. The link to a great group that might be able to explain more is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group. Check out the launchpad file for more information there.
  • ShrinkingBerry
    Options
    I just joined! Thanks! I've had PCOS for many, many years but i just started trying to do something about it. I'm loving this group already!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    That group can be overwhelming with the number of posts and information, but the people there are amazing and understanding, and between these groups, I finally feel like I've found "my people." :) I had PCOS for decades without knowing, then told "maybe" before finally being treated for it... I'll tell you though, switching to this WOE (way of eating) has helped more than anything else I've done...combine that with medications and supplements, and my quality of life, energy, etc. has improved so much, I can't even quantify it. :) Best of luck to you.
  • ShrinkingBerry
    Options
    Looking forward to similar results for myself, especially mood and energy increase!
  • ohheythatgirl
    ohheythatgirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with extra hair. I grow two patches on my neck that I have to shave every day, and I'm prickly by the end of the night. When I was taking licorice root the hair growth slowed way way down. I'm hoping to eventually get laser hair removal once I'm done having kids and my hormones are under control. That's the key for any "permanent" hair removal is having your levels within range...

They sell a pretty cheap electrolysis hair removal system on Amazon, I can't remember the name of it but that's an inexpensive (albeit time-consuming) method of permanent hair removal you can do on your own. I haven't had much luck with it because I would need my husband to help me and I'm too embarrassed to ask him, ha ha. I'm also interested in the Tria but I can't afford one right now.

As far as ingrown hair/bumps make sure you're exfoliating; I've found that in shaving any area of my body if I exfoliate well I get a better shave.
  • Journeywithyou
    Journeywithyou Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My physician recently put me in spiro for this reason. It has slowed the growth she has upped my dosage to the max allowed. Recently started cutting back on my carbs hoping that will help as well.
  • ohheythatgirl
    Options
    My physician recently put me in spiro for this reason. It has slowed the growth she has upped my dosage to the max allowed. Recently started cutting back on my carbs hoping that will help as well.

Spiro definitely helped me with my acne and hair growth! But, do not take if TTC! :)

• ShrinkingBerry
    Options
    [/quote]

Spiro definitely helped me with my acne and hair growth! But, do not take if TTC! :)

[/quote]

Why no spiro if ttc?
  • ohheythatgirl
    Options
    Any anti-androgen is bad to take if pregnant. It's my understanding that the effects of spiro don't go away very quickly once you stop taking them so it could interfere. I took licorice root until the day I got my BFP. I would have stopped spiro for awhile if I'd been on it though.
  • Journeywithyou
    Options

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. TTC is not in my future. My last delivery was very traumatic ending with the strong advise to not have any additional children.
  • ShrinkingBerry
    Options
    [/quote]
    My last delivery was very traumatic ending with the strong advise to not have any additional children.
    [/quote]

I'm really sorry to hear that. :(
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm hairy like a man :\ I've obviously the worst issues are the places I can't hide. So my face mostly :\ I did a year plus of laser hair removal on my face among other places. It works moderately well on hormonal hair growth as long as you keep going. Areas I had treated with out hormonal hair growth, are still hair free, but the rest has come back.

Inositol is supposed to reduce androgens (I've been on it 6 months) and have noticed very little effect. I've also recently started on testoquench for women which has a few herbals in it for androgen reduction, I'm hoping to see favourable results for with that.

In the interm, I pluck, thread, and shave the obvious spots, live with the hair in the less obviously ones.
  • A_Dabauer
    Options
    I should have added I was hairy before I was fat, so I don't see skinny as a solution for me. That being said, I have consistently noticed new areas of hair growth when I'm having issues with my weight. So in my opinion, weight certainly plays a factor but I don't think it is a cure, at least in my case. Other people may have different experiences.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Hormone balance is more important IM-NSH-O...than weight. With balanced hormones, so many other options are available! :)
  • A_Dabauer
    Options
    Totally agree knit :) working on hormone balancing, fingers crossed that the hair issues will fade in time.
  • Journeywithyou
    Options
    My last delivery was very traumatic ending with the strong advise to not have any additional children.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you - My husband does not get why I am sad because of this. We have three beautiful children and likely we would not have any additional at this point with the struggles even getting pregnant. But I feel that was a choice he and I should have made and not one made for me by the doctors. I get the why but it does not change how I feel that something was taken from me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

[/quote]

Thank you - My husband does not get why I am sad because of this. We have three beautiful children and likely we would not have any additional at this point with the struggles even getting pregnant. But I feel that was a choice he and I should have made and not one made for me by the doctors. I get the why but it does not change how I feel that something was taken from me.
    [/quote]

Men struggle to understand this, because to them, many times, the whole process is a mystery and nature's magic anyway. We are biologically engineered to feel this way. I wanted to more than one child, but nature did not see that working for me, and in some ways, I'm thankful for that now, but I will always suffer the loss of a child through miscarriage and I will also have a smaller feeling of sadness over not having more. My life is full and blessed, and yet those things will always be in the back of my mind.

I'm so sorry that things were decided for you. I have a condition NOW, not when nature didn't think I needed any more babies, that would make pregnancy for me difficult and high risk, but should the accident ever happen, I would not end a child's life for my own. Like you, I struggle with thankfulness for what I do have, and still a level of bitterness that even though I don't really *want* any more children as of now that it is no longer a choice I get to make without being insane enough to risk being selfish enough to chance taking a mother away from my kiddo...

It's a psychological struggle. My heart aches for you. (hugs)
  • Journeywithyou
    Options
    Understanding what it is like a refreshing feeling. I recently told my husband that I get it that he does not get it because he is not built that way. I think he sees my sadness of being robbed as not understanding his side of standing in the hallway as they wheeled me away not knowing the outcome of me or our son.