Diet tips for PCOS friendly eating as a vegetarian - is it possible to balance low carb w/ veg diet?

Options
42carrots
42carrots Posts: 97 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
I've been reading up a bit on the Keto diet and reducing carbohydrates. I already eat quite a healthy diet - lots of vegetables, fruits in moderation, and I make sure I get enough protein through things like tofu, tempeh, tofurky type "fake meat" products, eggs, cheese (lots of cottage cheese), yogurt, beans and lentils, nuts and seeds, and I do eat a little bit of fish sometimes. I've read however, that ideally low carb diets are meat heavy, and actually discourage eating beans and legumes as even though they're high in fibre, they're also high carb. I feel like it wouldn't be healthy for me to avoid bean and lentils as I don't eat meat and they're very nutritious, so I figured I'd try to compromise and increase fats in my diet, and just eat beans and lentils more moderately (I don't actually eat a ton of them, but definitely don't avoid them). I read that you should ideally limit carb intake to 50g/day but I was playing around with my macros and I'm not sure I can quite manage that. The closest I could get that seems sustainable at this point is setting carbs to 100g and fibre to 40g, so if I hit the fibre macro it's really 100g-40g=60g (unless I'm completely misunderstanding this whole concept!)

I'm quite attached to having a bowl of cereal every day (just one cup of Nature's Path heritage flakes - low sugar, high fibre, as far as cereal goes, but that's 32g carbs - 7 fibre, which works out to half of the 50g recommended carb intake per day, yikes) and the occasional slice (ok, or two or three) of pizza, but I'd be willing to mostly cut these things out if it were really worthwhile.

Just wondering if there are others with PCOS out therewho follow a vegetarian (or more accurately pescatarian) diet that is also low carb - if so, please share your tips!

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Are you insulin resistant? Not all PCOS women are. If you are, lowering carbs is virtually essential. If you arent, you have a little more wiggle room, usually.

There is also a great deal of different carb options. Some do lower carb, usually between 75g and 100g total carbs. Some do lower, around 50g total, and some Keto which is normally lower than 20g carbs net altho those who arent fond of veggies can do 20g total a day.

You have to find what works for you. Why are you a vegetarian? Are you ok with diary? you said you eat fish sometimes. So if you can do fish as your protien and do the whole fat dairy, coconut oils, avocado, etc then it is a little easier.

But you would need to cut out the cereal and the bread and the pizza and things if you need to go to the lower end of the carb spectrum.

Try the http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group to see if they have suggestions. I see you've already asked in the keto forum so someone might have a good idea, or more ideas than I do.
  • 42carrots
    Options
    Thanks Alliwan - yeah I realized after I posted here that it might have made more sense to post over there, but left this one as well anticipating that I might get different perspectives. Honestly I'm not 100% sure if I'm insulin resistant but for a while I've suspected that I am. Do you need an insulin test to be diagnosed with this specifically? If so I haven't done that, I just know that generally I feel better when I limit carb consumption, so am wondering if I should take it a step further and see how it goes. I've been a vegetarian for most of my life for various reasons and would probably have to be literally dying to consider changing that, which is why I'll have to be creative and explore all other options :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes, an insulin test is a good idea if you think you might be insulin resistant. They can do a blood test after a 12 hour fast. If you are IR, they can put you in metformin, which you can take with or without inositol, and you will see a huge improvement in your symptoms, typically.

Everyone is different so there are some who cant tolerate metformin but for most of us, if we keep our carbs low, it is a great help.

So if you find out you are IR, then you will have to see what amount of carbs you can tolerate and what you are ethically ok with. It will be a juggling act since you are vegetarian but I really hope there is someone with some good ideas for you.
  • ShrinkingBerry
    ShrinkingBerry Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    42carrots, I'm not vegetarian but I also don't believe a meat-heavy diet is healthy. (Maybe I'll change my mind through this process but I'm betting not.) I'd say I am low-meat, vegetarian-friendly. I've been drinking protein shakes for breakfast (almond milk, frozen strawberries, and a combo of whey protein and Arbonne vegan protein powder) The Arbonne powder is higher in carbs so I balance it out with the whey. It's super yummy, though expensive. (Another reason I use the whey too.) For snacks I do veggies, nuts, cheese, hummus, cottage cheese, fruit, etc. For lunches and dinner, I have 1-1.5 serving(s) of meat or fish, a small amount of carbs, and loads of veggies. My carb goal was like 180g when I started but after doing more research, I've adjusted it down to 130ish and upped my fat percentage. Hope any of that is helpful.
  • 42carrots
    Options
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I have some hemp protein powder left over from a pretty poor attempt at making some kind of protein cookie a while ago, I'll experiment with working that in and see what happens :)
  • TMS7878
    TMS7878 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian as well. Sometimes, I slip up and will eat a piece of chicken or fish, but this is rare. I however, and not a healthy eating vegetarian, but I'm working on it. I eat beans several times a week though, mainly black beans, for the protein.
  • 42carrots
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi @TMS7878‌ - I used to eat more beans and legumes and whole grains before starting the low carb diet, but unfortunately they're all quite high in carbohydrates and it's recommended to cut them out (or way down) - I'm about a week into it and I'm basically experimenting with a keto diet, which means quite strict and extremely low carb/high fat. My moods have been kind of up and down (even from hour to hour!) and I've pretty sure I've discovered that my body reacts in mildly violent protest to cream cheese and sour cream, so I'm still working out the kinks but I'm pretty sure I'm starting to see some benefits emerging. I feel more satiated and less bloated even just a few days in.

Tonight I made cheese crisps, then took big chard leaves, cut them in half (and cut out the stem) and made rolls filled with avocado slices, chopped up chard stems, shredded coconut bacon, seasoned with a little gluten free tamari, apple cider vinegar and sea salt. They look kind of like the shape of a spring roll and were amazingly delicious, I probably would have dipped in sour cream if I didn't think it would destroy my digestive system for the second time today. Do yourself a favour and make these even if you're not vegetarian, so delicious!!!
  • TMS7878
    TMS7878 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @42carrots‌, I'm kind of scared to give up beans, they are a big source of protein for me. I'm not really an egg eater, but I do like a good bit of nuts, Greek yogurt (no gelatin), and cheese. I am a cheese addict. I had never even heard of the keto diet until I joined this community. Let me know how it goes for you. I'm really interested because you're the only other PCOS vegetarian that I've met!