An Alternative to Batch Cooking

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I batch cook, then bag and tag, reheat, eat. This week I tried something a little different. To me, re-heated food is only about 50% to 90% as good as fresh out of the oven.

One of my favorite foods is Chicken thighs (with skin), sliced, placing a 1 oz slice of cream cheese in the slice. Then wrap it in bacon ~ usually two or three pieces. Place in the oven for 1 hour at 360 degrees.

I laid a piece of aluminum foil out (squared ~ about the width of the roll). I placed the bacon wrapped chicken on the center of the foil. Then pulled the foil around to form a box shape. I put a little of my favorite season salt and pepper on it. And I then put some Worstershire sauce on it, maybe two or three tbsps. I then closed it up carefully so it won't leak. I did (4) of them. I put in the fridge. The season salt & Worstershire sauce now can soak into the meat.

The next evening, I pull one out and put it in a preheated oven (on a pan of course). I go check my e-mail, write some posts on MFP, then ding, its done. Repeat every night or so. When I carefully I open the foil, it was basting in the sauce & bacon drippings. It is about 1/3 full of liquid. I put the chicken on plate and scoop the precious fat out & pour it on top of chicken.

IT IS SO GOOD! After I eat the chicken, I lick the plate clean, no need to wash it afterwards... :D

Am I the last person to do it this way, or do others do it like this?

Dan the Man from Michigan

P.S. I realize that its raw meat and cannot stay in the fridge forever.

P.S. Would we call this "Batch Preparing?"

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    That sounds like smart thinking to me Dan!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    >I lick the plate clean, no need to wash it afterwards...
    >or do others do it like this?

Just you buddy ;)
  • GrannyMayOz
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a dog to do that for me
    0r4ex47arjcc.jpg

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have a dog to do that for me
    0r4ex47arjcc.jpg

HAHA cute! Same here but mine is a german shepard/rottweiller mix so he's too big to stand in the dishwasher. he has to lick them before they go in :wink:
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That is a brilliant idea Dan.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    HAHA cute! Same here but mine is a german shepard/rottweiller mix so he's too big to stand in the dishwasher. he has to lick them before they go in :wink:
    Sounds as if yours would have to stoop to lick them!

@DittoDan we have Bacon Wrapped Chicken on the menu for tomorrow's main meal. Sounds delicious!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Essentially a Keto hobo meal to the sound of it! :)
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    ...I've licked my plate....

Don't judge us plate lickers!

But Dan, I do something similar! I'll buy a lot of meat every weekend and then package portion sizing into plastic bags and stick those in the freezer. After dinner, I pull out a new bag and stick it in the fridge for the next day. It's ready to cook for dinner, portioned out and ready to go. I can also change the seasonings and add-ons.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »
    ...I've licked my plate....

Don't judge us plate lickers!

What else are we supposed to do when there's no bread to soak up the remainders?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I precook a few days worth of burger patties. But, I only pre-dice my bacon (I like it diced and scrambled into my morning eggs). That saves me some time in the morning, when I am also least likely to be able to use a knife without cutting myself.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As KnitOrMiss said a hobo meal or as my Dad called them when he pulled foil packets out of the cooler to place in the hot ashes for cooking "Indian Stew." I'm not sure why since I'm not aware that Indians used either foil or coolers. Anyway, his had a layer of potatoes on the bottom to soak up the grease. Now I would want to do something a little lower carb. Perhaps a layer of eggplant slices on the bottom then a layers of chicken, sun dried tomato, provolone, bacon, chicken, Parmesan, bacon. Work out the quantities of veggies to fit into whatever you budget for dinner. For me I would probably do about 10 net. I have not yet tried your fried radish dish but it seems like they would also work being baked in chicken & bacon fat. Season to your preferences. I'd probably do oregano, garlic & paprika.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    @granny LOL! What a cute doggy! I'll betcha he likes a LCHF diet too! Please let me know how you like the recipe.

@Kirkor I like Granny's idea better, I could call it an automatic dishwasher.

@fat4fuel2 I'm glad I'm not the only one (LOL!)

@Sajyana‌ Good question! Amen!

@FIT_Goat‌ LOL!

@KeithF6250‌ Sounds like you have a very doable/great idea, when you going to try it out and let us know?

Thank you all!

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    From Kim Komando's weekend update:

A minister was asked to dinner by one of his parishioners. The churchgoer was known for being a terrible housekeeper.

When the minister sat down at the table, he noticed the dishes were the dirtiest he had ever seen in his life.

"Have these dishes ever been washed?" he asked the hostess, running his fingers over the filthy dishes.

She replied, "They're as clean as soap and water could get them."

He felt a bit apprehensive but said grace and started eating. It was quite delicious, despite the dirty dishes.

When dinner was over, the hostess took the dishes outside, whistled and yelled, "Here, Soap! Here, Water!"