keeping motivated

Options
Tripaway
Tripaway Posts: 71 Member
Having a hard time keeping motivated with my workout routine. What are some tips you guys use to force yourself to working out when you really don't want to?

Replies

• bstewart1973
    bstewart1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Let me know if you figure something out.
  • Tripaway
    Options
    ha, no luck thus far. I keep hearing "just do it" whether you want to or not...and yeah, that's not working for me. Determination precedes motivation, perhaps??
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I enjoy what I do and enjoy the results so I don't find it difficult to get moving on most days.

Think about your goals and about where you came from.

If you really can't get motivated, maybe you are trying too much too soon. Scale back to an enjoyable routine that you can stick with and it isn't a chore.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    PlunderingSteelGorilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I lose motivation daily...hourly...not sure I ever had any.
    Need to rethink what I thought I was thinking was a good thought to think.

Determination precedes motivation but procrastination precedes everything.

Maybe I will walk 5km tonight. Maybe I will ride my motorcycle 300km.
    I enjoy both and both have psychological benefits, but only 1 offers physical benefits.
    Maybe both. I dunno, maybe, we'll see.

Depends on the family attitude when I get home. Bad attitude often ruins all motivation, and there has been a lot of bad attitude lately.

Did I derail this very short thread?
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    Mirrors, store windows and photos help with motivation.
    5km walk around the park won out last night. See if I can do it again tonight.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    6km walk tonight. Music kept me motivated.
  • olieog
    olieog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys - I have the same problem. Although I have lots of things to motivate me. My wife and daughter for a start! plus the fact I have type 2 diabetes to get under control. Back into it now after a couple of weeks of slacking off. I have a lot of motivational twitter feeds I follow. Looking at a few of them everyday I find has helped me a lot to get back into it.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Post-workout rewards perhaps? Like dinner. Seems like I'm out of calories by the time dinner time comes so in order to "afford" dinner I need to burn some calories. If that doesn't work, tell your wife to withhold sex until she sees some results.
  • Tripaway
    Options
    Hahaha, a strong motivator indeed!
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have this on my real wall, "If you want something bad enough, you will find a way. If you don't, you will find an excuse." In full disclosure, I'm human and don't follow this 100% of the time. But, I do try to keep it and my goals in mind.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Death By a Thousand Cuts

So you've made the choice to live a healthier lifestyle... or have you?
    Do you find yourself having to convince yourself over and over again to make a healthier choice? THAT is the death by a thousand cuts.

You've MADE the choice to be healthier all ready (or you wouldn't be here). Now LIVE by it.

( Maybe I'll listen to myself this time.)

David
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym when you feel like going to the gym isn't really a big deal. Tenacity comes into play when you don't feel like going and you do it anyway. Those have been some of my most rewarding workouts.

What works for me is making a plan. Once I've gone through he trouble of making a plan and projecting it out into the future, I get super OCD about it and skipping a day and having that glaring absence in my log book just is not an option.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    I like... As long as one realizes that there will come a day when circumstances will cause a missed day. The truly tenacious man will note the absence and then get back to the task with renewed vigor.

"Great effort is required to arrest decay and restore vigor. One must exercise proper deliberation, plan carefully before making a move, and be alert in guarding against relapse following a renaissance."
    Horace